Latin America Traveling... | Squat the Planet

Latin America Traveling...

Green Eyes

Reaction score
Leavin' for Mexico city in three weeks
intend on exploring, no time limits, could potentially travel through south america as well

was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to go, places to check out, people to meet, beaches to sleep on, farm work, volunteering, community projects, open spaces for travelers... anything
all on a low to no cost budget

also, any advice on hitching and hopping through central and south america, best ways to travel around basically, dont intend on spending money on fancy buses, although im sure i could afford a chicken bus from time to time

anything yah got would be much appreciated!
stories, suggestions, whatever...
im headin' down there totally open, unplanned and unconnected

thanks a bunch

I

IBRRHOBO

If u PM bote he's a member of the Waystations and is heading into Mexico City. He has crash space once there for decent folk. Read the Waystations thread and it'll explain our network. PM me if you have any specific ?'s about it or routes down thru the area.

desaparecido

Reaction score

lowerarchy

Reaction score
All I know is that if you make it to South America the buses are fucking cheap, cheap, cheap and go long distances. Like, thirty bucks will take you across Columbia. Twenty bucks will take you all over Bolivia. Can't speak for Central America/Mexico. You might be expected to pay if you hitchhike so talk it over first or have some money in your pocket.

bote

Reaction score
just hitchhiked down through central america, mexico to panama, the only place people might want money is in Honduras or nicaragua because most of the taxis are unarked, so they just look like a regular car, but they all have a big sticker across the top part of the windshield, so you get used to seeing them and figure it out pretty quick. Fast rides, great people, trying to give me money and food in every country

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Shit, I'm trying to do exactly this in the Fall.

Green Eyes, how are you getting there? I heard you can get plane tickets to Mexico City for like 100 bucks round trip now.

Bote, did you speak spanish before you went? Was it like traveling in America where you have to make friends or sleep outside and eat out of dumpsters, or was it cheap enough to rent rooms and buy food?? I really have no idea what the exchange rate is like for those countries and I'm trying to start doing my homework.

Reactions: Rob Nothing

bote

Reaction score
a couple years ago I went down into MExico from Arizona, I knew barely any Spanish, but I speak french which is similar, so that kind of helped. But really, you just learn pretty fast hitching or riding trains, and people help you out for the most part. Dumpstering is not possible in my estimation, but food is super cheap except in Costa Rica and Panama and even there you can ususally get a bopwl of beans and rice for a buck or two if need be. I sleep outside and about once every week or so, I get a room for the night, ususally between 508 bucks, just to clean up, kick back, you know, but definitely you can sleep outside just make sure you are not trespassing or you may wake up with guns in your face as I did in Nicaragua. By the Way, I just speant the last week hitching down through COlombia and sleeping outside and it feels maybe even safer than central america, this place is amazing, dont believe the hype. Ive found its better to sleep near the road, behind a gas station or something because theres very little unused space and chances are that that field belongs to somebody, but you know just judge as you go.

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
This thread is awesome, it makes me want to go. Bote you should put some stories up when you're in one spot again! Happy travels

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
if i can't pitch in for a sailboat with some other people and sail down there, i'm planning on doing exactly what you're doin. but i will know spanish this time when i go back. my grandmother was born and raised in costa rica so i think it would be amazing to find any lost relatives i have there :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads