Intentional Communities: What is your experience with putting Anarchism and Communalism into action? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Intentional Communities: What is your experience with putting Anarchism and Communalism into action?

THEOEHT

Reaction score
very interesting. how many comrades are on site?
Currently 2 of us, there's a number of brothers and sisters who might be coming up soon. Also some locals that come by pretty regularly and share seeds food weed and tobacco with us. One of the main goals is to spread the concept of a gift economy to the surrounding area and connect with other people's farm and garden projects. There's a number of other people in the area practicing sustainability and self sufficiency.

black

Reaction score
I am absolutely all about that shit. every bit of it. would love to come and build a small log shed to live in and work with you guys. unfortunately we are grounded in GA til we get our money straight.

black

Reaction score
thanks man. good luck with everything. may Thunor bless your harvest and may Sib's beauty shine upon your gardens!

paiche

Reaction score
just getting started, so far we have 2 trailers to live in, electric and running water and a couple garden plots. our first planting was an experiment to see how the native soil would support a vegetable garden. the peas and favas have been doing great, beets seem like theyre doing all right, other veggies not quite so well. We're gonna plant some more soon once we can obtain a large amount of cow manure to build the soil with. the larger part of the potential garden area is covered in invasive himilayan blackberries so once theyve fruited next month and given us some tasty berries i plan on clearing as much space as possible to plant fruit tree orchards with other berries and veggies as understory. I've also been cosidering different types of low cost buildings that could be made from mostly materials sourced on site like yurts built from small saplings and a larger pole barn for community housing, storage, workshop space animals etc.
Sounds like a nice start. I built a yurt from young trees. If you have ash its an easy build even with just hand tools. The cover is the cost unless you have a flock of sheep and a pile of skins. You could try to re-purpose plastics from some business with a big greenhouse operation too.

Koala

sleeps 22 hours a day, eats chutes and leaves
Reaction score
Website
ciggybuttbrain.wordpress.com
The past half year I was squatting with like-minded friends which turned into a sort of intentional house. There were about 8 to 10 of us there at a time. We shared everything, it was intentionally freegan (all food dived or racked). We all practice mostly subtle forms of anarchy, and would team together for certain regional protest actions. As each of our houses never lasted more than 6-7 weeks each, we never got gardens going but with a more stable place we would have loved a garden. We all taught each other our skills of squatting and together we were strong in all aspects.

I started a house project with another group, which was based around more structured written intentions but that one took ages to get going and by the time we had secured a space I had left to go traveling. The houses I lived in for a while wasn't exactly an 'intentional community' per say since it wasn't heaps structured but I think it functioned in relatively the same way. I absolutely loved it!!! Would love to do something similar in the future, possibly in a more stable way (eg. getting an agreement with the owner) and having intentions with everybody on basically the same page. Slightly larger scale would be rad too. All of this took place in the suburbs of Melbourne, Australia which I enjoyed, can't beat the resources of a city (dumpsters, empty houses, building supply stores).

Last edited:

6StringLovin

Reaction score
Hey black, dont know if you have this info already but you should look into the FEC also http://www.thefec.org/ its a collection of our anarchist/communist communities which were formed in the 60's and 70's mainly east coast and MO. but on top of that there is every flavor of community you could want to seek out here http://www.ic.org/

Ive lived in every fec community (and currently still live at Eastwind) and several others around the country. let me know, if you want ill fill in any blanks i can for ya

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads