Intentional Communities: What is your experience with putting Anarchism and Communalism into action? | Squat the Planet

Intentional Communities: What is your experience with putting Anarchism and Communalism into action?

black

Reaction score
Have any of you have long-term or even just short-term experience with an intentional community?

Did you follow a certain model of organization?

Was anarchism, communism, or any far left ideas part of the equation?

Were you in an urban setting? Suburban? Rural?

Did you garden, farm, build, forage, use off-grid tech like solar power, etc?

How well did thinks work out? Did it last? Is it an ongoing success?

What are some problems you ran into?

Was it fun?

Was it hard work?

What did you learn?

Thanks in advance

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
Have any of you have long-term or even just short-term experience with an intentional community?

Did you follow a certain model of organization?

Was anarchism, communism, or any far left ideas part of the equation?

Were you in an urban setting? Suburban? Rural?

Did you garden, farm, build, forage, use off-grid tech like solar power, etc?

How well did thinks work out? Did it last? Is it an ongoing success?

What are some problems you ran into?

Was it fun?

Was it hard work?

What did you learn?

Thanks in advance

Yes, I lived at Black Bear Ranch for a little over 3 months in the mountains of northern Cali.

2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months policy. 2 days to any visiter with no expectations of work. 2 weeks to show you really want to be an active member and to feel out the community. 2 month trial period and then life long residency if all members have an agreed concensous.

Anarcho-Communism is its main ideology in many community members opinions. It was founded by The Diggers, whom were primarily anarchist communists. "Free Land for Free People" is the motto.

At least 2 hours from closest town deep in the mountains.

All of the above.

It's been around and thriving since the 60s(?) maybe 70s. It's doing just fine.

Isolation and disagreeing sects (I.e. vegans vs primi anarchists who wanted to hunt)

It was an amazing time.

Extremely hard work.

How to chop wood, make wine, making medicine and tinctures, garden, hell pretty much every skill you can think of

black

Reaction score
'preciate it!

If only I had the resources to start one of my own. our long-standing dream is to start our own an-com commune. preferably in WA (not even cuz its the new hip capital but for fertile land). and really we want to build much more than just a commune, but like a real, large community, a village even. separate housing, unified workforce, our own events, holidays, potentially shit like schooling although that would probably scare some folks I don't wanna seem like a fuckin cult. it takes an ass of money startup even a 2 person sized homestead so idk how I'd ever accomplish. here in GA we've literally only ever met one other ancom face to face so we don't have grounds built for a real community in any way

• Sad
Reactions: Shwillam

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
It's also very typical to just show up. Don't mind the website, and some of the more asshole members that come thru sometimes with some sort of "status" idea of themselves, they're far and few but it really is an open door commune for the first 2 days you show up. People are very welcoming but may seem a little disinterested at times because they're so busy/struggling with the mental effects that come from living in the wilderness.

awkwardshelby

Reaction score
Website
shelbycriswell.com
Idk if any of y'all have seen this but FYI just for anyone reading this thread who intends to show up at black bear ranch, it was rumored that the teacher who kidnapped some girl has connections to Black Bear Ranch and the information is wrong. I'm sure you can just google it.

Here's what their website currently looks like:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.53.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-24 at 6.53.06 PM.png
    180.8 KB · Views: 301
  • Sad

black

Reaction score
so im guessing it gets pretty taxing huh? the isolation and all? plus I know for a fact living on a homestead and truly using your growing skills and hunting, and only those things, to survive is pretty difficult for those born in modern day and raised in suburbia, or anyone really.

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
Idk if any of y'all have seen this but FYI just for anyone reading this thread who intends to show up at black bear ranch, it was rumored that the teacher who kidnapped some girl has connections to Black Bear Ranch and the information is wrong. I'm sure you can just google it.

Here's what their website currently looks like:

Woah what the fuck?! That's fucking insane!!! I had no idea!! That's crazy. I've never seen that guy and I'm absolutely positive he would have no place in BBR

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
Wow. I'm shocked! If definitely say respect the no visitor thing. That's extreme for them. I was completely unaware and I'd think even deserves its own thread. Fucking wow. The fact they were asked to leave is very important. That's very rare. I really need to write these guys a letter now. I'm bummed as fuck for them, the didn't need this at all

Last edited:
Reactions: awkwardshelby

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
so im guessing it gets pretty taxing huh? the isolation and all? plus I know for a fact living on a homestead and truly using your growing skills and hunting, and only those things, to survive is pretty difficult for those born in modern day and raised in suburbia, or anyone really.

Absoutlely. It's a shock. I thought I'd live there a full year if not two. I decided I was NOT even CLOSE to prepared mentally, physically, or knowledgeably to winter there. I was going to go back this spring, but I'm going to respect their current bullshit situation and leave them to their peace. Many residents NEED that privacy. I can't imagine how Scott is handling this. He doesn't need the outside world invading his peaceful refuge. Anyone who wants to go there should without a doubt respect the residents wishes. They'll be open to visitors again soon I'm sure. Hopefully without more vetting processes now. The elders are going to be pissed about this. Fuck :( it really bothers me.
FUCK THE MEDIA.

Anywho, back to the point. It's not fucking easy, but it's PARADISE. Id give anything to have been born in a place like that or to see the world realize it's more than possible

Last edited:

black

Reaction score
i dont even have a personal connection to the place but that article really pisses me off in a few ways

awkwardshelby

Reaction score
Website
shelbycriswell.com
i dont even have a personal connection to the place but that article really pisses me off in a few ways

Damn, same here. The fact that the press made up some names for supposed members there is bullshit. People always want to blame something other than the kidnapper/molester in situations like this.

Hoping things will die down soon and Black Bear doesn't have to deal with this shit anymore.

black

Reaction score
yeah. also that shit where they cite the reasons for asking them to leave? like, what the fuck? im sure those were a factor but uhhhhhhhhhhh im pretty sure its because they didn't want to work or actually be a part of a commune.

THEOEHT

Reaction score
'preciate it!

If only I had the resources to start one of my own. our long-standing dream is to start our own an-com commune. preferably in WA (not even cuz its the new hip capital but for fertile land). and really we want to build much more than just a commune, but like a real, large community, a village even. separate housing, unified workforce, our own events, holidays, potentially shit like schooling although that would probably scare some folks I don't wanna seem like a fuckin cult. it takes an ass of money startup even a 2 person sized homestead so idk how I'd ever accomplish. here in GA we've literally only ever met one other ancom face to face so we don't have grounds built for a real community in any way
i have 7 acres in the mountains of west wa, working on starting an intentional community. let me know if your interested in joining forces

black

Reaction score
really now? hmmmmmmmmmmmm. we'd have to build up funds to contribute. whatcha got goin on so far?

THEOEHT

Reaction score
really now? hmmmmmmmmmmmm. we'd have to build up funds to contribute. whatcha got goin on so far?
just getting started, so far we have 2 trailers to live in, electric and running water and a couple garden plots. our first planting was an experiment to see how the native soil would support a vegetable garden. the peas and favas have been doing great, beets seem like theyre doing all right, other veggies not quite so well. We're gonna plant some more soon once we can obtain a large amount of cow manure to build the soil with. the larger part of the potential garden area is covered in invasive himilayan blackberries so once theyve fruited next month and given us some tasty berries i plan on clearing as much space as possible to plant fruit tree orchards with other berries and veggies as understory. I've also been cosidering different types of low cost buildings that could be made from mostly materials sourced on site like yurts built from small saplings and a larger pole barn for community housing, storage, workshop space animals etc.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads