how do you kill snakes? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

how do you kill snakes?

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Snakes are the main reason I carry a 12" machete when I'm going wilderness. That and walking stick about my height (5'3" - 5'6" depending on what liquor store I'm walking out of), with a small V on the top. Pin the head to the ground and chop it off. Generally I'll dig a hole a few feet away and bury the head.

I don't kill non-venomous snakes, and even then, I only bump off rattlers over 4' long, unless I need food, then I'll go as small as three. Any smaller than that it's not worth the effort. Cottonmouths are a different story. I avoid them whenever I can. If I do end up having to kill one, I use it as bait, cause those things are fucking inedible. Maybe if it's eat or die, but only then.

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I don't go out LOOKING for them, unless I've got no other food, in which case I'm looking for anything edible. 9 times out of 10 I let them slither off.

Franny

Reaction score
I would really advise not fucking with snakes unless you HAVE to. Of course.

But as I currently live right on a canal there are water moccassins (cotton mouths) that stick around in my back yard sometimes. Since I have outdoor cats I use a hoe with a long handle and whack their heads off.

And no, I don't eat them.

Riverbrooks

Reaction score
careful with V tiped sticks to try and trap the head, if the ground is solid or the V is too long, the snake might have space to back out of it as you reach for the head. a stick like the end of a canoe paddle, or if you can picture a hammerhead shark, with just a bit of a curve in it is good, but damn dude.. a rattler??? bad ass!

Rasmus

Reaction score
I just carry a stick with me when I'm on the trail, about 3' in length, and wack 'em on the back before they get away. This stops them long enough to wack em' another time or two, till they calm down. They I throw it half-dead into a baggy and do the final kill right before I eat. Keeps 'em fresher. Then I cut off the head about 1/2 " down the neck, skin it, gut it, wash up, wrap the snake around my hunting knife, and barbecue it till it's golden brown. Eat it up bones & all. Super tasty. (see pics)

P

Pheonix

I use a long handle spade shovel and try to behead them with one downward motion. if that doesn't work they get pissed and coil up in a defensive position. they will try to bite the shovel (they think the shovel is attacking them not the person at the end of the shovel) if they coil up then I hit them flat on the top of the head with the bottom of the shovel and that usually stuns them enough for me to try to behead them again. another way to kill a snake is with a figure 4 deadfall trap but it wont target just the snake but it will kill any critter that takes the bait

Murf

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Obviously avoid snakes , but if it comes down to it either it be hunger or protection if you have a spade or shovle , go for the head [head neck whatever] and hold it intill it stops moving and your sure its dead. That and apply rule two: the double tap, just to be safe. Personally to me Snakes are like zombies you gotta get rid of the head , dont eat them [in case its poison] , and im not messin with em.

P

Pheonix

you can eat the venomous one as long as you don't eat the venom sacs that are located on each side of the head below and behind the eyes. remove and discard the head and the rest is good eating.

Dromomania

Reaction score
Mmm... Snake sum good meat. As a kid I used to use a piece of fishing rod 3' long. Wack'm good once and pin them down at the neck while you step on the head, then pick him up by the neck not so far back that he could bite you when you pick'm up. Cut off head, skin then cook.
Umm... ok, for those of you not familiar with snakes; with there head cut off they can and prob will move around.
So if your bag of decapitated snakes bust open and jump around on the seat next to you remember, there heads are cut off and you don't need to slide to a halt on the highway and jump outa the truck screaming bloody murder.

soymilkshakes

Reaction score
With an ax!

Even with the head clean off, rattlesnakes make a lot of reflexive movements for a decent amount of time after you get 'em. I've heard this can include posthumous biting, so wait a while before slicing the thing up.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I faced off with a black racer in North Carolina, he was not gonna let me go so I picked up a stone from the rail trestle and with one deft throw bashed its fuckin head in - mid air too his head was raised up about a foot and a half I hit him square in the head mid air and the rock followed through the smash it against the trestle. Really didn't want to kill it but It was aggressive towards me, after my roaddog tomfool rounded the bend and saw my kill he told me that I was lucky and that they are aggressive and poisonous, that they will chase you, witch is what it did the fucker came at me every evasive move I made.

K

katbastard

View attachment 24182 after i cut the head of the diamond back rattle snake off with a shovel, which out for the head, the snake will still bite you after we is beheaded! i took a sharp knife, or box cutter and cut up the belly, careful not to pop the guts open.
View attachment 24183 after you have the belly cut all the way down, use your thumb nail to pry the skin from the meat untill only the skin along the spine is attached, at this point you can pull the skin off the spine like some wet crusty socks off of your feet
View attachment 24184 put the skin aside, and focus on the meat and guts, be slow and careful pull the gut sacks out using your finger nail to help the guts along
View attachment 24185 now your ready to eat! roll the skin up for after you grub...
View attachment 24186 i put the snake on a stick over the fire, cooked it until the meat was white like chicken and ate it off the bone kinda like a bony fish, the meat was not was pretty good. though i am a fat kid

on the skin, i covered it in salt for a few days, then stretched out the skin washed off the salt and use some kind of cheap lotion on the inside of the skin. not really the right way but it worked.

most snakes will not harm you inless your an idiot, keep away from them and they will not bite. but kill them and eat them by all means, but dont just kill them because your a chicken shit. have fun

Monterey

Reaction score
The rule is:
red touches yellow, kill the fellow.
Red touches black, friend of jack.

Venomous snakes usually have trapezoid shaped heads, to hold the venom glands. Non poisonous snakes generally have rounder heads.

With the above rhyme, it is talking about how the colors touch on their skin. If red touches yellow, it is highly poisonous and kill it or get away. Red not touching yellow but touching black is usually just a non-poisonous king snake. Be careful, no amount of fashion is worth getting inexperienced into a situation where you have a greater than half chance of dying.

Never move suddenly around a snake even if you are surprised. You life will depend on your ability to get a grip on the spot and stay cool.

- Monterey

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads