hitchhiking and female safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

joaquim33

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
i dont think i would hitch hike alone if i were a woman, i've heard too many horror stories to make it worth it. hop a train or buy a bus ticket; if i had a daughter thats what i would teach her. i've had plenty of dangerous hitchhiking rides and had friends almost die because the driver was on drugs or drunk or bat shit crazy, and you dont always realize at first or maybe you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and are so desperate for a ride that you ignore your intuition.

some woman friends of mine have a rule of only taking rides from other women, which i think is good policy. a knife or mace wont help when the creepo trucker pulls out a gun.

ayyyjayyy

Godzillerator
Reaction score
I hate hitch hiking any more as a result of this kind of shit. I know that generalities are not fair but damnit, men are fucking creeps. I had a really crazy sacramento to redding california ride once, the woman went nuts instead of the man, tried to feel my husband up in front of me and then tried to steal my dog and back over me....fucking wild...But, to date that is the only not-cool female ride I have ever gotten. The creeps have all been men. It seems like there are specific places where you go that the men are worse than anywhere else. Pasco, WA, Redding, CA, Birmingham, AL, Cartersville, GA...off the top of my head.....oh and most of florida.

Hahaha cartersville ga for sure! It's like creep Capitol of ga!!

A2low240

Professional Trespasser
Reaction score
yeah don't you love when they go "ahh what else do you do for money??? ;)" i usually just say castration and you can be next in line if you want.

I'm a male and easily identifiable as such, even at 70mph along a highway. Some sicko truck driver rolls up in the panhandle of Idaho on RT90 going west, I hop up and and this fat motherfucker had his pants around his ankles and a boner. I lost a little MORE faith in the human race as a whole after that and passed on the ride.

............ your not alone with some of the bs on the road.

Monica Danger

Reaction score
I'm going to be rubber tramping with a couple friends here at the end of May, but I might need to hitch down to where they are to catch that ride. I'm new to this whole thing, so it's been nice (if that's the right word to use here) reading this thread to see potential dangers of being a lone female traveler and how best to avoid the worst-case scenarios. Thanks to everybody for their input.

S

Smallville41

This post is unfaiir to men, men do what men do best and it's no fair that we take a bad rap for doing what comes natural, yeah the ways some men go about it is crude, but to be honest who hasn't had a fantasy of a pret girl hitching and you picker up and.... But we have to be honest and I'm sure I'll get kicked again for a few days for speaking my mind.

S

Smallville41

I'm going to be rubber tramping with a couple friends here at the end of May, but I might need to hitch down to where they are to catch that ride. I'm new to this whole thing, so it's been nice (if that's the right word to use here) reading this thread to see potential dangers of being a lone female traveler and how best to avoid the worst-case scenarios. Thanks to everybody for their input.
Hey, a hello to a fellow September birthday person.

RockerBilly

Reaction score
I got a real good one right here:
As you're stepping into the car/truck, saying ur "thank you's" "where u heading?" etc, pull out ur cell phone and start pushing buttons, really conspicuously. Then if the driver starts creepin/ threatening u, tell him that as you were walking up to the car you sent his license plate number to your mother/someone who cares about your safety, and if they dont hear from you within x hours, they're sending the plate numbers to the police etc. Of course its all a big bluff, but better yet if you're really worried you could actually make an arrangement with ur friend/mother and do the license plate thing for real.

I never really do that I'm a guy and i've never really been worried hitching in the US but i advise all my lady friends to do it. Besides my main knife I carry on my belt, I have a crappy little Wal-Mart lock knife that cost me 74 cents which I keep in my boot, it fits perfectly and its discreet. And always a solid metal pen or sharp pencil in my jacket pocket which would do the job on someone's neck if my life depended on it.

One time I was hitching through the countryside in Oregon and this really creepy guy in a van picked me up, and the ride lasted about an hour, after the first few minutes of silence his first question was "so how old are you?" not, what's your name or where are you going lol. Then he was making all these weird noises the whole time, kinda like repressed sex-grunts, which actually kinda cracked me up, and his hand was placed on his crotch the whole time. There wasn't any fiddling, just a creepy fuckin place to have his hand. When he stopped for gas I just said i have a friend in this town im gonna go visit, thanks for the ride, peace.

RockerBilly

Reaction score
This post is unfaiir to men, men do what men do best and it's no fair that we take a bad rap for doing what comes natural, yeah the ways some men go about it is crude, but to be honest who hasn't had a fantasy of a pret girl hitching and you picker up and.... But we have to be honest and I'm sure I'll get kicked again for a few days for speaking my mind.
It should be fairly obvious what is "ok" and what is not, in terms of consent. But it is so true that all we ever hear as men is what we're not allowed to do, never what we are allowed to do. This is why young men of today are so confused.

Driftwhistler

Reaction score
i think girls have it easy,really there are more perverts that want straight guys.they do not want gay guys,they want straight guys.all over the world have this problem.and they think because i am sleeping outside in a doorway that i will be willing to do anything for money or drugs or warm place to sleep.20 plus years homeless and i have never sold myself.i hate perverts.portland was worst place in use but in the world i think Japan is the baddest.they just think everyone has a price.the money i have been offered has been insane.

Right, we have it easy because this shit happens to us all the time whether we're hitching or walking down the fucking street in broad daylight or sitting alone on the couch at a shindig, so we're just supposed to be used to it by now. Even in godalmighty Amurrica, we still take shit every day merely because we were born with vaginas, because men think its okay to objectify and sexualize us without our consent.

Wah wah wah. Would someone call the fucking wahmbulance and ready a shot of idiot-cure-all for this dimwitted fuck. These poor dudes are being marginalized by girls discussing how best to protect ourselves...from dudes who attack us.

Get this: men and womyn have equal sex drives. Womyn are just as visually stimulated as men and become as aroused as quickly as men. Men don't have some "god"-given right to sex. Get your shit straight. We live in a sexually oppressed society. Men are taught to act on their sex drives and womyn are told to wait and be approached. Men are taught to be sexually dominant and womyn are taught to be sexually submissive. Men are taught to "hunt" and womyn are labelled sluts for hunting. If seeking sex is what men do best, then it goes the same for womyn. Oh mah fucking bejeebus, this thread is unfair because it defies bullshit standards and internalized sexism.

And do you really think that what "men do best" is attempt to rape (which, believe it or not, usually has little to do with sex) or solicit sex from girls traveling alone? How do you think the rest of the dudes on this forum feel about you speaking for all of them when you said that? For the love of the great big bibbelty, think about shit before you open your mouth.

derailed

Reaction score

It almost sounds like you're trying to justify rape and abusive behavior by rationalizing it as something entirely natural, and therefore ok. People who marginalize victims and empathize with abusers usually do so because they are abusers themselves and don't want to relinquish power. As a male, it's disgusting and insulting to hear somebody tell me that I am innately a rapist, or desire to be one, based upon my gender. The attitude in this thread is pretty fucking backward in general. I don't want a female telling me I'm disgusting just because I'm a male, and I don't want a male telling me I'm a rapist just because I'm a male. SOME men are disgusting, true, but don't marginalize good people and allies because or some negative personal experiences. The title of this thread is just as stupid, divisive, and narrow-minded as the jackass I just quoted.

That being said, I know that some women have only ever known abusive men in their lives, and it's up to us to break that stereotype. That's why feeding into it by saying things like "men do what men do best " is so damn destructive.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
Ironically I've been called a fag plenty of times for not being a "creep."

BriannaLee

Reaction score
just within the last 4 days (while i was with a guy) ive had like 3 or 4 offers to get paid for sex with them. One of the guys infront of the walmart in gainesville tx some guy and his wife asked me to be there girlfriend and live at thier house with them. Its crazy how you can have a hunting knife on your hip and they still want to mess with you.

RockerBilly

Reaction score
Right, we have it easy because this shit happens to us all the time whether we're hitching or walking down the fucking street in broad daylight or sitting alone on the couch at a shindig, so we're just supposed to be used to it by now. Even in godalmighty Amurrica, we still take shit every day merely because we were born with vaginas, because men think its okay to objectify and sexualize us without our consent.

Wah wah wah. Would someone call the fucking wahmbulance and ready a shot of idiot-cure-all for this dimwitted fuck. These poor dudes are being marginalized by girls discussing how best to protect ourselves...from dudes who attack us.

Get this: men and womyn have equal sex drives. Womyn are just as visually stimulated as men and become as aroused as quickly as men. Men don't have some "god"-given right to sex. Get your shit straight. We live in a sexually oppressed society. Men are taught to act on their sex drives and womyn are told to wait and be approached. Men are taught to be sexually dominant and womyn are taught to be sexually submissive. Men are taught to "hunt" and womyn are labelled sluts for hunting. If seeking sex is what men do best, then it goes the same for womyn. Oh mah fucking bejeebus, this thread is unfair because it defies bullshit standards and internalized sexism.

And do you really think that what "men do best" is attempt to rape (which, believe it or not, usually has little to do with sex) or solicit sex from girls traveling alone? How do you think the rest of the dudes on this forum feel about you speaking for all of them when you said that? For the love of the great big bibbelty, think about shit before you open your mouth.

Well said. I'd say men have it just as bad though, if not worse. Statistically, men are more likely than women to be victims of violence (albeit from other men), except because we're men we're not allowed to talk about it or complain because then we're "pussies" for showing emotion. Also the gender stereotypes you mentioned about how men are traditionally meant to approach and women are meant to get approached don't just suck for women. If a woman does the approaching, she gets labelled a slut. While some women want to do the approaching, there are also some guys who want to get approached/don't feel comfortable doing the approaching, and these guys will spend their entire lives lonely (unless they are ridiculously good looking or live in a sexually free society). I don't really care about the issue of the title of this thread but to be honest it is sexist.

Reactions: Ekstasis

RockerBilly

Reaction score
if only it was as simple as not telling womyn how to protect themselves and just telling men not to rape.
btw what i meant in the previous comment was that a lot of my more radical lady friends tell me its extremely offensive for them to get hit on in bars or what have you. What i mean by we never get told what we are allowed to do is, if we can't hit on them, then how does one get to court such ladies? Or is it only good-looking men are allowed to hit on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads