hitchhiking and female safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowmarque

Reaction score
I have to say there are some good points here; but I'm talking about if something is about to happen. Stab and run. Fuck the dumb shit, get out of there. Mind games- yes, but you're not trying to stay and see who will "win" the game especially if they're into games and could possible dominate you physically. Just watch your back, make sure no one's behind you; and they know you only want the ride.
PS: NEVER GET INTO THE VAN AND IF IT SWOOPS RUN!

Reactions: Carey 5000

JAdams87

Reaction score
Yeah i am going to have to agree that most men are generally pretty fucked up. but i dont think you should ever pull a weapon maybe hint around about having on and almost always have one but dont pull it out unless you plan on using it. A kid here in texas got shot after a bout of road rage. Kid was honking and crap got out of his car flashed a gun and the drive of the other car put seven rounds in him. Never a good idea to flash a weapon or pull it out unless your a trained marine or your going to put said weapon directly to use on someone. Chances are your only going to hurt yourself or get said weapon took away and used on yourself. And if in a moving vehicle use a seat belt. In almost all situation just stop and calm yourself and think the best weapon general is just a good thought. So be safe out there.

RubyOutlaw

Reaction score
I hate hitch hiking any more as a result of this kind of shit. I know that generalities are not fair but damnit, men are fucking creeps. I had a really crazy sacramento to redding california ride once, the woman went nuts instead of the man, tried to feel my husband up in front of me and then tried to steal my dog and back over me....fucking wild...But, to date that is the only not-cool female ride I have ever gotten. The creeps have all been men. It seems like there are specific places where you go that the men are worse than anywhere else. Pasco, WA, Redding, CA, Birmingham, AL, Cartersville, GA...off the top of my head.....oh and most of florida.

Az Tek

Reaction score
As a guy I can say with 100% certainty that yes, men are creeps. Not all but most all. And there is absolutely no way to tell the difference between the two generally. I agree with the above. Even for a guy it makes hitching much less appealing.

natkalia

Reaction score
When highway hitching it is often ok especially if I am with someone (a guy) notice though how when you hitch within a town men will come on to you or ask you if you are a prostitute? I ran out of a guys car in chicago cuz he was touching himself he just parked his car I had to tell him to fuck off 8 times before he left. This other guy in cicero- Im sure was gonna try and sell me into sex slavery or something fucked up but I ran off. In carrollton GA every dude there was a nasty red neck trying to sex me or pimp me. Well not every dude there was some cool blue collar guys that were just nice and helped me out. Any other ladies who've dealt with this?
I live in Chicago and hitched a ton around here, I've never had a good experience. I've had tom fight for my life more than once it's fuckin scary. Since then I'm super scared to hitchhike. I know how it is lol

REDRUM

Reaction score
My last hitch experience ended me stabbing this guy in the leg and jumping out of a moving vehicle. I left my knife in his leg and jumped out the car. I want to buy a small handgun if I ever hitch again.

REDRUM

Reaction score
The few times I have hitched I have used good judgement accepting rides from males and females from all wakes of life. The man who tried to molest me was am iraq veteran. he made a few passes at me at first. i let him know i was not interested. i asked him to drop me off at the next exit and he wouldnt. he tryed to drive me down a dirt road in the middle of now where, that's when i stabbed him.

frzrbrnd

Reaction score
the very stabby nature of your posts of late in this thread are very fitting with your username, even if ... ah ... "redrum" ... was not the result of your stabbing.

REDRUM

Reaction score
i had to. violence is always a last resort. in this instance, i tknow it was my best bet. i'm 5'2 and scrawny. who knows what would have happened if i didn't do what i did. he had my by the arm, tried putting his hand down my pants. grabbed me so hard down there that he left bruises. pretty crazy experience. he could of come looking for me after i jumped out, but he drove away.

deanmoriarty

Reaction score
weapons indeed,it just makes sense...mace,knife,tazer,something is necessary,male or female.ive had several very sketchy incidents hitching as a teen guy years ago,and nothing changes a victimizers attitude faster than suddenly realising u are not such an easy target after all.i found that a well placed threat/assertion is better than actual attack much of time...if its a serial killer u got in ride with,ur prob dead anyway,but an average rapist is usually only interested in an easy target,and a well placed statement or display can save u from resorting to violence.just been my exp,in prison and on the road.but dont forget that only rule of fighting is:strike first and strike definitively.first shot almost always wins.be safe out there,kidz!

freedude2012

Reaction score
so so true dean
weapons indeed,it just makes sense...mace,knife,tazer,something is necessary,male or female.ive had several very sketchy incidents hitching as a teen guy years ago,and nothing changes a victimizers attitude faster than suddenly realising u are not such an easy target after all.i found that a well placed threat/assertion is better than actual attack much of time...if its a serial killer u got in ride with,ur prob dead anyway,but an average rapist is usually only interested in an easy target,and a well placed statement or display can save u from resorting to violence.just been my exp,in prison and on the road.but dont forget that only rule of fighting is:strike first and strike definitively.first shot almost always wins.be safe out there,kidz!

Agni Riniari

<(-.-<) ^(-.-)^ (>-.-)> ^(-.-)^ <(-.-<)
Reaction score
So, I was going to keep this a secret to prevent it from spreading and not working when or if I decided to do it, but, I thought I would say something here and see what you all think about it.

Now, I have thought about what would be required in just about all situations if one was traveling, especially when alone, and they found themselves met with hostilities.

Normal self-defense is all well and good, but, you can be out numbered and not everyone might be skilled, or even just lucky, enough to get themselves out of a situation like that. Now, gods forbid they have a gun or something, at that point, there is even a limit to what self-defense will be able to do when the person holding it is being mildly intelligent about the situation. Also, I just prefer to avoid conflict in general, simply because I really don't want anyone to get hurt, even if the person doing the hurting is me, because really, we're all brothers and sisters and in an ideal world we would be able to get along without hostility.

Yet, we don't live in that kind of world, so, here has been my idea for a solution for basically any situation that might come up, be it someone threatening you or someone trying to have their way with you, and, yes, you are going to think I am crazy because of this.

So, you might be able to fight off one or more people, but, what if they have a knife? You might still be able to fight off your "attackers", hell, you might even be able to get away if someone has a gun on you if you are lucky, but, then again, maybe not. So, what can you do to almost immediately end any confrontation, be it you are being molested, beat the shit out of, or being held at gun point/whatever situation might involve a gun?

Well, a knife might get one or two unarmed people to leave you alone, but it might not be so easy with someone who has a knife themselves, so, maybe you want to try and mace them, that is fine, but, maybe there are more than one of them and you either can't get all of them or maybe they resist the mace enough (It can happen) to still get to you. So, what do you do then, or, in that worse scenario where they have a gun and not much is going to deter that person (Mace would probably just piss them off and they could still shoot you)? Basically, go for the trump card.

What could possibly trump all of those situations, even if they were happening simultaneously to you? Well, what would you do, even if you had a gun on someone, and they take out a grenade and pull the pin? You'd probably immediately re-evaluate the situation, with the most likely assessment being that you would probably want to leave.

Now, this might seem like over-kill, and it sort of is, but, it takes care of really any situation you might encounter, and, it can be a very very cutthroat world out there, with people not giving a shit what they do to you as long as they get what they want. So, it might be considered as a calculated risk to some people.

Obviously, though, a live grenade is very dangerous, not to mention illegal. So, the people that are worried about those types of things can still technically use this method (Because pulling out a high explosive is such a complicated technique that it can be called a method ;P), simply have a dummy grenade or one that has had all of the "dangerous" parts removed. It would still, theoretically, work without it being dangerous and might technically be legal (That part I am still a little unsure about. So many states, so many laws).

So, feel free to tell me I'm a fuckin' nut job. S'all good. Just, well, keep the idea on the DL, in case it turns out to be legal to have a fully decommissioned grenade and some people want to try and use the practice, because, I mean, it's basically a cure-all, man. :p

- Agni

PS. I apologize for the length. I am a fiend at the keyboard, I guess.

Pixie Walden

Reaction score
Ive has this problem a few times as well. I had just got to cali for the first time and i was stuck in some bumfuck town called Tracy , i was standing on the on ramp with a boy and two dogs i travel with, i was alredi kinda annoyed cuz we had been trying to hitchhike for so long, some guy ina nice car and a button down pulled up and called me over, i thought he was going to give us a kick down or something , when asked for a blowjob i told him to go kill himself , i threw the nearest rock as hard as i could at his car while he pealed out of the parking lot, fuck creeps

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Men are pigs, I've had my share of gay men go for the gold when hitching. As with everything there are risks and rewards that go with hitchhiking. Anyone who undertakes it has to accept that these things will happen eventually. If you aren't willing to accept you may get raped or killed then don't hitch.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
It's been a while but I've had probably 7 or 8 rides where they asked to suck my dick. A few offered money, the only one that really creeped me out was this fat car-hauling trucker in kentucky who had a boy my age at the time 19 or 20(teenage sex slave??) in the sleeper, he wanted me to disrobe and i could see his nuts hangin out his boxers GROSS. I had my hand on my knife but fortunately he dropped me off when I told him to let me out.
Has anyone here ever jacked a john? Meaning, someone told you "Wanna make 20$" and You say "Yeah, just come around the corner into the alley" ask them to pull out their wallet and rob all 200 on them. I know a fair share of more rough-living folks than I that have done this. I guess for the most part I'm just too nice of a guy.

keg

Reaction score
i think girls have it easy,really there are more perverts that want straight guys.they do not want gay guys,they want straight guys.all over the world have this problem.and they think because i am sleeping outside in a doorway that i will be willing to do anything for money or drugs or warm place to sleep.20 plus years homeless and i have never sold myself.i hate perverts.portland was worst place in use but in the world i think Japan is the baddest.they just think everyone has a price.the money i have been offered has been insane.

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Reaction score
I still attribute my not having these problems often to one thing...
Starting a little bit of conversation before accepting the ride and getting into the car.
First thing, I always take the lead of the quick conversation by asking the driver where they are going before they can ask me.
Within that minute or two I have quickly sized up the driver and processed in my brain a shit load of details about them.
Also within this very short amount of time I've also gone on my gut feeling too. But in the end it's my gut that makes the
final call. If I have a bad feeling I'll turn down the ride.

One thing I'd suggest for female hitchhikers is if things are just mildly uncomfortable or annoying and not yet "full blown let me out
scary", is to ask the the driver about their female family members while in conversation. Remember every woman is someone's
daughter, mother or maybe sister, niece, etc. Then if things do start escalating you can pull the "how would you feel if someone was
treating your (insert female family member) this way?" card. Guilt can be a powerful weapon. Just hope the guy Isn't the type who
has his mother buried in the backyard, then nothing but the knife is gonna work.
This may also help with the cops if they try and confiscate your knife while on the road, "officer, would you want your (insert female
relation) traveling out here without something for protection?" Just pick a female "relation" the cop is not gonna tell you about his family
obviously. Sorry guys, this will only help the ladies, we're shit out of luck with this one.

But most of all, think fast and be careful, unfortunately there are some very sick bastards out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads