Hello Ladies! New female traveler looking for some inspiration! | Squat the Planet

Hello Ladies! New female traveler looking for some inspiration!

Abbie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey, I'm Abbie! Me and another girl are hitching/hopping for the first time next month. I'm pretty sick of hearing the usual, "Yea your going to die" and "Your so going to get raped" lines. Neither of us appear to be intimidating but I assure you our dominance and overall awareness of reality is very strong. As a result of what we've been through in the past, I'd say that were both some pretty strong fucking women.
Any advice or words of encouragement from other female travelers would be well appreciated.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
You two will probably be just fine as long as you stick together and don't hitch alone. Have fun!

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Not a female, but have traveled with many strong women and here's my advice.
-Take trains
-The second a situation seems a little sketchy, bail
-Pepper spray first, questions second

and ya'll should be fine

Reactions: Zoetica

venusinpisces

Reaction score
In my opinion trains are nice but they will sometimes drop you off in the middle of nowhere so be prepared to hitch as a back up. That and big city yards tend to be located in some of the absolute sketchiest neighborhoods in this country. I thought I would be "safer" hopping freight alone until I got dropped off in the Memphis yard in the middle of the night, not knowing that it was in the top five for most violent cities in America. There were cars full of thugs following me at a snail's pace underneath the freeways where there was pretty much nobody around so I wouldn't recommend doing that solo.

And as for defending yourself, pepper spray is good but obviously not in a car. Be prepared to grab the wheel if necessary. I never had to do that but do have friends that have. Also, try not to sleep in anyone's car if you can help it. I hitched with another girl for years and, in the US at least, we never really had any major problems. Our pattern was to hitch during the daylight hours and then get out at night to sleep, no matter where we were or what the weather was. There were some exceptions but only on a very select basis. Hitching during the day will also eliminate the vast majority of tweekers, drunks and other people that are a bit off for whatever reason or just shouldn't be driving. We are both assertive people and would almost always refuse offers to go back to people's houses or go off the route we were headed. It's best to be as self-sufficient as possible and you will get places in a hurry that way too. So always have a sleeping bag and travel with someone who is independent enough not to get suckered into shady situations. It might not be a bad idea to also have a little money on hand for a bus ticket in case you get separated.

NyxNomasters

Reaction score
Shank. And make a smiley as a backup. Police will not confiscate it like they may a knife.

Take a heavy padlock and a bandana that's been tied off in two corners, thread the knot through the padlock and then back through the bandana wrapping the lock in the fabric. Stick the lock in your pocket and let the knotted end hang out. Easy to grab, easy to swing, will knock someone out cold if necessary.

Reactions: Corinne

Missy

Reaction score
You will be fine I have been doing it for a long ass time. Don't listen to what people tell you.

A solo girl can be just fine on the rail...etc. if your not a weak little victim.

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Smiley's can get you in a lot of trouble especially on the west coast these days. As long as the knife you're carrying is smaller than your palm you should be fine. I've been fucked with by cops more times than I can count and still have a straight blade that I've had since I took off about 8 yrs ago.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
I've heard rumors of kids getting getting felony weapons charges for smilies in New Orleans. That's why a big dog is the best "weapon" you can have. Knives are dangerous because they're hard to produce in the moment, as well as the fact that they can get taken away from you. Besides, you will not get an assault or homicide charge if your dog attacks someone. And most guys are more scared of big dogs than assertive females. Do learn how to control your dog, though, or you may end up with a lawsuit. I've stressed this point in another thread but it's worth repeating.

I used to travel with a smiley but would never do that now because it makes you look like a total psycopath if you get searched by the police. Another word of advice: always act sweet and innocent when dealing with law enforcement, as long as they're not actively doing something that violates your rights. Being young and female, you can get away with a lot, assuming that you don't give them attitude. It took me many times of unnecessarily going to jail for dumb shit before I learned that. Better to go the easy route!

Reactions: ByronMc and Zoetica

venusinpisces

Reaction score
A solo girl can be just fine on the rail...etc. if your not a weak little victim.

The suggestion here seems to be that people who are assaulted are at fault for their own weakness. It's hard for me to accept that idea for so many reasons, especially considering that some of the girls I know who have been raped/assaulted on the road are some of the meanest and least "weak" people I've ever known.

JaimaJaima

Reaction score
I haven't traveled too far of distances, but I have been in a decent handful of shady situations by myself. As a pretty small woman I can say the best thing I've ever done is blow as much steam as I possibly can the instant someone starts walking my way. Now I don't mean act like a bitch, but don't give them a reason to think they can push you around. I feel like people are a lot more simple than we'd like to think, and in the situation where you need to shove off a bear or a large predator is to make yourself look big as possible-- same theory I've noticed with people. Being alert, giving short responses, and keeping a straight face has honestly been my first and best defense.

Reactions: The Bard and kay

venusinpisces

Reaction score
don't give them a reason to think they can push you around. I feel like people are a lot more simple than we'd like to think, and in the situation where you need to shove off a bear or a large predator is to make yourself look big as possible
Here is a photo of a cat that chased a bear up a tree. Same principle.
capt.d429145a753041439aad741f7aa5fe6a.aptopix_cat_scares_bear_wxs102.jpe

Reactions: kay and veraladd

stove

Reaction score
So, a lot of info for solo/doppio female travelers around here seems to involve weapons and fighting...I know a TON of women whom have never let it get to that. A little creative lying (a boyfriend who's a marine/dad's a cop/FBI/Brother just got out of prison, wouldn't mind going back) goes a long way. Also, as I think Begood said, the second thing start getting sketchy, Assert yourself. If that doesn't work, BAIL.

A lil common sense goes a long way. Don't think like a victim, and you're less likely to become one.

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Seriously folks !!

I am female and have been hitch hiking for over 30 years.
I am small 5'3.

I have NEVER EVER BEEN:
Raped
attacked
etc etc etc
while hitch hiking.
I have hitched the USA & UK.

But I HAVE had all the above happen to me:
In the street
In the 'family' home.

People tell stupid stories to keep us scared!!

Just go for it grrrrls !!
Be careful, trust yer guts & ovaries.

Good luck on yer travels !

Myechtatel

Reaction score
Shank. And make a smiley as a backup. Police will not confiscate it like they may a knife.

Take a heavy padlock and a bandana that's been tied off in two corners, thread the knot through the padlock and then back through the bandana wrapping the lock in the fabric. Stick the lock in your pocket and let the knotted end hang out. Easy to grab, easy to swing, will knock someone out cold if necessary.

haha, reminds of my friend who carried a cue ball in a sock. XD

Bishop

Reaction score
lets start a badass old skoll travel group n take box cars n have like thirty kids. IDGAF.
i just want some home girls to hang with lol.

LeatherTrampGypsy

Reaction score
As two females traveling together you'll get a lot of attention from the males. Don't let your guard down. Don't give them the time of day, they usually want something from you. Abbie, you look like a brave & intelligent girl. Trust your instincts! If someone won't leave you alone...create a dramatic scene. People hate confrontation. That'll send them on their way pretty quickly. Works everytime for me.

Pepperspray is a must. Very reassuring to have. Just always keep it handy. I got in a weird situation with this tweeker bum & I forgot I put my spray back in my pack, for some stupid reason. I was pretty much defenseless. But I got him to fuck off pretty quick by flippin the 'bitch switch.' Don't be affraid of your attitude. People are intimidated by a loud bitchy woman. Haven't you noticed? hahaha

Best advice, hoped it helped? Have fun Mama! Don't forget to smile. GET DOWN WIT YA BAD SELF!!!!

Reactions: Mankini and Zoetica

Abbie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thank you all so much for the advice. I would have responded sooner but I'm already on the road :D! I've made it from Pittsburgh to Austin without any problems what so ever. A few bums in Little Rock "accidently" grabbed my ass but that was it. All my worries and fears that I had going into this trip have been eliminated. I'm still cautious cause after all we are 2 girl travelers but everything has turned out to be very easy ha. I still carry my knife and pepper spray on me at all times and we never travel at night. We've squatted in the city a few times but i personally prefer setting up camp in the woods..I sleep so much better that way. As for making up lies to get creepy men away from you....love it. Since my road dog is always with me we end up telling persistant guys that were just lesbians. We came up with this whole aids story for when we encounter someone that mistakes us for lot lizards or something but we havent even had to pull out that one yet. Overall I'm having the best summer I've ever had. It's been a month and I feel a change within myself that I never expected.
For real though....will someone please help us hop a train. We've decided that we arent going to do it by ourselves our first time cause we've heard too many mixed stories about it so i'm not trying to rush into anything. It seems like everytime we set up camp we're near tracks..it's such a tease.

Also I'll be heading up to Denver soon! I'd love to meet some people there or along the way.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads