Hello Ladies! New female traveler looking for some inspiration!

Abbie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Haha SOCKS! such a hassle man. My feet have been through some serious shit during this trip.
As for getting drunk....yea um, I had intentions of not drinking or smoking cigs when I left home. Fail! I just wanna party with all the people I meet. Good thing my road dog has better self control than I do.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
EXELENT! you didn't rely on infoz from us, you just jumped in and improvised!!!
You are an exemplary tramp! I hope to make your acquaintance on the stones or steel!

Abbie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
EXELENT! you didn't rely on infoz from us, you just jumped in and improvised!!!
You are an exemplary tramp! I hope to make your acquaintance on the stones or steel!

Thank you!! Does this mean I earn back my punk points?
And to be honest I did rely on info from outside resources for awhile..until I left then it was just improvising and common sense.

Abbie

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks!
So after looking through these forums I seen that your hitching up the 101 to the gathering. Thats my plan as well. I've heard that it's hard to hitch up that interstate cause it's mostly tourists. Just wondering what your opinion was on that and if you've hitched up that way before.

dawgrunner

Rubber tramp
Reaction score
Website
dawgrunner.wordpress.com
Thanks!
So after looking through these forums I seen that your hitching up the 101 to the gathering. Thats my plan as well. I've heard that it's hard to hitch up that interstate cause it's mostly tourists. Just wondering what your opinion was on that and if you've hitched up that way before.
Hey Abbie
If your in Austin and decide not to hop a train try the 25 north starting in El Paso. Head all the way up to montana and cut across the 90. Stop in missoula its a great town. See you in Washington

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
the 101 is probably one of the easiest highways to hitch on in america

What he said.

So many times I've been picked up on that highway by tourists from the east coast who'd never seen a traveler before. Kinda like "oh honey, LOOK! Its one of those gypsy people! Wouldn't it be wild if we picked him up!"

And when you consider that I'm a smelly long haired beardo who's been told that I still look like I'm pissed off when I'm happy... I think ya'll will be fine.

christianarchy

Reaction score
Glad to hear your doing well with no serious problems.

Learned from a female hitchhiking friend - If the driver grabs your leg or inquires about sex or does anything obviously sketchy, freak the FUCK out right then and there - don't wait for it to get bad - and make them pull the fuck over and let you out. Letting them get away with any little sketchy thing will make things way worse later on. A short fuse will keep you safe.
And always trust your guts. We're animals with instincts.

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
its all about vibes, keep yourself feeling strong and able. dont let your face know. if you step in with a take-no-shit attitude, no one will fuck with you (or just get a big drooly big teethed dog like i did) ;]

R

rideitlikeyoustoleit

I am traveling alone, and one of the most important things for me hitchhiking is NEVER telling the driver I am single. I feel like if they think I have a "boyfriend" the other inquiries never happen.

Asserting yourself is another important thing. If someone says something uncomfortable, I will address it right away. In my experience they ususally quit there.

Lizzzzz

Reaction score
you're doin it grrl! the take no shit attitude definitely works. plus we're from the murder mitten ;) we gots the street smarts and can read creepos and crackheads a mile away. carryin a knife is a good idea. but from the stories i've heard cops get more rapey with travellin girls than the people who pick them up. usually the rides i got were from soccer moms that went out of their way for me cuz they have daughters and just wanted me to be safe ya know... and yeah the 101 is a cake walk.

Reactions: Zoetica

Zoetica

Reaction score
The suggestion here seems to be that people who are assaulted are at fault for their own weakness. It's hard for me to accept that idea for so many reasons, especially considering that some of the girls I know who have been raped/assaulted on the road are some of the meanest and least "weak" people I've ever known.
THANK YOU for saying this. Being told "don't look like a victim and you won't be one" essentially comes down to preemptive victim blaming if something does happen.

Zoetica

Reaction score
you're doin it grrl! the take no shit attitude definitely works. plus we're from the murder mitten ;) we gots the street smarts and can read creepos and crackheads a mile away. carryin a knife is a good idea. but from the stories i've heard cops get more rapey with travellin girls than the people who pick them up. usually the rides i got were from soccer moms that went out of their way for me cuz they have daughters and just wanted me to be safe ya know... and yeah the 101 is a cake walk.

Holy shit the "soccer moms" along the 101 are GREAT. :D I didn't even throw my thumb out and here come sweetheart soccer moms.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
THANK YOU for saying this. Being told "don't look like a victim and you won't be one" essentially comes down to preemptive victim blaming if something does happen.
Well, wow. Thank you both. I've given the first part of this advise, without really thinking about the implied victim blaming.

Appreciate the food for thought.

Zoetica

Reaction score
Well, wow. Thank you both. I've given the first part of this advise, without really thinking about the implied victim blaming.

Appreciate the food for thought.
No worries, I realize the majority of women giving this advice honestly don't realize the implication. (And I've heard several women give that advice!) You're one of the few I've come across so far to respond cooly to another viewpoint on this (rather than defensively) so thank you! :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads