Hammock tents | Squat the Planet

Hammock tents

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Those things are okay, just keep in mind that the waterproofing of the rain cover wears off after a while; if it gets cold, you'll need at least cardboard under you to stay warm; and that mosquitos can bite through the bottom.

loess

Reaction score
I've not had any trouble with mosquitoes biting through my Hennessy hammock. I don't go out and buy gear very often, but this is easily the most comfortable, versatile, and lightweight shelter that I have ever owned. It only takes me a few minutes to set it up and adjust the tension and sag to my liking. I sleep more soundly in this thing than I do in my own bed, and don't have to endure the back pain that comes with sleeping on the ground (or on my bed).

It's true you do need some insulation underneath you starting at about 70° (varies a little depending on if you are a "cold sleeper" or "warm sleeper"). You can use a cheap closed-cell foam pad, a bivy that surround the entire hammock, or a down or synthetic underquilt that fits underneath the hammock. I have not tried using cardboard but I'm sure it would work in warmer temperatures.

Jeff's Hammock Camping Page has a lot of information on hammocking.

Here is my current setup, I'm going to make some modifications. Primarily I first want to make a bigger tarp, the stock tarp that comes with the Hennessy provides barely enough coverage and probably wouldn't keep me dry in a heavy storm. Plus a larger tarp would provide me with the option to go to the ground if I end up in a treeless area somewhere.

615947322_1ae9c57dd2.jpg

Post edited by: macfly, at: 2007/07/16 05:55

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
They are made locally here in Vancouver (area), and the vid on his web page was taken at Wreak beach. I have used these, and while they are great for camp, especially when raining,( they could make the fly from silicone fiber, it might be better), you can stay warm, and avoid the skeeters with a good old US army foam(er..haha). I still prefer sleeping in my 1 loop bivy shelter, I need to stretch out after a ride. really pricey, but that is what a tax return is for, right? http://tinyurl.com/2mtmc3

Post edited by: dirtyfacedan, at: 2007/07/22 09:25

Post edited by: Widerstand, at: 2007/07/22 12:25

Post edited by: dirtyfacedan, at: 2007/07/28 16:41

Antics

Reaction score
ha, this made me aquire a cheap $35 nylon hammock, Ill make a rain fly out of a blue tarp from some construction site or somthing.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I ended up using a found tarp as a rainfly for my hammock, not very compact, but very durable and very free. I set up and took down my tent maybe 500 times before the urethane waterproofing wore off on my rainfly. As for making your own, prusik knots are used for adjusting the tension on the rainfly and making sure it stays on.

Edit: I treated the rainfly with some rewaterproofing wash stuff, and it works like it's supposed to.

loess

Reaction score
Mosquitoes must have read my post. I woke up at 2am last night with a bunch of bites.

Driving around to various Wal-Marts is not my idea of a good time, but folks are saying that they're finding ripstop silnylon for $1/yard in the clearance racks. I have yet to come across any, but that's what I'm going to use for my tarp. For that price I'll buy the whole bolt and make a bunch of gear.

finn, where did you travel around with your hammock? Did you ever find yourself in a situation where the diameter of the trees was way too big for the webbing to go around? Probably more of a west coast/northwest problem than in the east I imagine. Thanks for the tip on the prusik knot ;)

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
With my hammock, I've stayed on the east coast since the weather is pretty predictable, no mountains or other places that could get cold really quickly. For traveling longer distances, I tend to carry a bivy sack, since it's more compact and suitable for colder weather.

As for the big trees, well, the main reason for the webbing is to protect the tree, so if the webbing is too small, then you can just use rope and shield the tree with fallen branches/rags/whatever around the perimeter, so that the rope isn't touching the bark directly.

Reactions: Psi em

farmer john

Reaction score
the jungle hammocks work well for me

oldmanLee

Reaction score
used to use an old milspec hammock,and while it is a damned fine thing to keep leeches,spiders,and the occasional snake out of your bedroll,the things have to be dried dead dry befor you roll em up or you start to think you're sleeping in a mushroom from the smell.

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
A kid in Baltimore traded me one of these (for a conflict patch?!), but I haven't used it yet. It's light as shit (about 4 pounds), but I'm wondering if it's worth carrying around. I'll probably try it out something this week when I actually remember I have it.

Autonomyste

Reaction score
I used hammocks exclusively for a couple years, but had a bitch of a time adjusting to the slight angle of your head and legs. they left me with serious neck stiffness after a couple days into using them and lasting almost a whole month before my body got used to it. I've since gone back to the ground on thermarests. They make thermarests as small as a can of beer nowadays and theyare actually thicker than the old thermarests so they're more comfy. The hammock got me caught by authorities a couple times and attracted theives one night cause it's higher than the bushes and it was olive color too! I like being closer to earth as well, that's also why I prefer barefeet.
Have had both; can't get in or out of hennessys with out the Velcro catching/tearing on my sleeves AND my dreads! And I feel more clostriphobic in them than jungles. You can not lie flat in the junglehammocks and they weight alot compared to hennessys, not to mention they start at almost 400$! I was too paranoid to bust the jungle out half the time depending on my environment.

EastCoast315

Reaction score
I've got a hennessey a-sym, its the shit. Comfortable, warm (with a good pad), and easy to throw up ANYWHERE. I've camped on 50 degree slopes with this thing, I could probably camp a cliff. And so light to carry.

ENgagRelyt

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I have spent the night in a Hennessy hammock the only issue is in really cold weather needing some insulation on the underside of the hammock. I have seen homemade down blankets to keep your back warm. You have to keep the insulation below from compressing.

Reactions: claymation

lostboy

Reaction score
wow, been using the hammock/ tarp thing for years now.. didnt know they actually sold stuff like this, i coulda been rich if id just thought to patent it... but then just think of the life i woulda wasted spending my money on a house, instead of the life ive enjoyed just making my own

Reactions: DirtyBroke

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads