Halifax | Squat the Planet

Halifax

st1tch

Reaction score
Anyone know a good place in Halifax?
Anything is cool, if you live there now and feel like helping someone out, I'd love to know the ropes of the city, I'm moving there next year.

bote

Reaction score
don´t know a thing about that city now, but about 15 years ago it was by far the best punk scene in Canada for whatever that´s worth. Probably still some ghosts around

st1tch

Reaction score
Yeah, I lived there when I was really little, and now a bunch of friends live down there (for school), so now I'm heading back

barnaclebones

Reaction score
good book to read while you're there... depressing.. but good... will give you a good idea of the crazy history of halifax... they say this explosion was the second most powerful manmade explosion to the first atomic bomb.

Curse of The Narrows: The Halifax Disaster of 1917

and Cod by Mark Kurlansky could maybe shed some light on the fishing culture way up thayah...

My advice? get the hell up to north sydney and take the ferry to Port aux Basques, Newfoundland. Best time to go is late may, early june. Bring bicycles! or i know a few cats who rode the rails... and i hitched.

dont know much more about NS though... good luck!

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
I was there last summer. It seems like theres a fair bit of squatable houses. Up top of the hill near the citadel.
I just slept outside when i was there though, so im not much help.

I saw one punk while I was there and the kid was from where im from, hamilton, and trying to get home.

He was flyin a sign that said kick a punk for a dollar, 2 dollars I wont kick back.
I was shootin the shit with the kid, then this meat head comes over with short man syndrome and gives em 2 bucks. Then just wallops this kid in the leg and dropped em haha
It was some ju-jitsu shit haha

I can guarentee he wont be flyin that sign again haha and reason enough for no one else to try it.

Downfall to Halifax is finding a store that sells ciggarettes...and smokes are about 14 bucks a fuckin pack

st1tch

Reaction score
I was there last summer. It seems like theres a fair bit of squatable houses. Up top of the hill near the citadel.
I just slept outside when i was there though, so im not much help.

I saw one punk while I was there and the kid was from where im from, hamilton, and trying to get home.

He was flyin a sign that said kick a punk for a dollar, 2 dollars I wont kick back.
I was shootin the shit with the kid, then this meat head comes over with short man syndrome and gives em 2 bucks. Then just wallops this kid in the leg and dropped em haha
It was some ju-jitsu shit haha

I can guarentee he wont be flyin that sign again haha and reason enough for no one else to try it.

Downfall to Halifax is finding a store that sells ciggarettes...and smokes are about 14 bucks a fuckin pack

Ahahaha, that's fucking ridiculous, smokes and the kid who got kicked.

Yeah, my buddy was down there last summer too, you might have ran into him, he goes by Thumper. I'm going to get my friends who are down there now to search out a good squat for when I get there.

Reaction score
I was just attempting to ride out the winter there but wussed out and am running back home to louisiana now. Its awesome. Its really a small city and the punk houses are a awesome close nit community. Its hard not to find yourself at a vegan pot luck your first week there. open mic nite at a house once a week and was awesomely packed just a few weeks ago. 2 day a week food not bombs..rad fucking kids.

st1tch

Reaction score
I was just attempting to ride out the winter there but wussed out and am running back home to louisiana now. Its awesome. Its really a small city and the punk houses are a awesome close nit community. Its hard not to find yourself at a vegan pot luck your first week there. open mic nite at a house once a week and was awesomely packed just a few weeks ago. 2 day a week food not bombs..rad fucking kids.

Sounds like heaven man

Dumpsterhump

Reaction score
I was there about 6 years ago in the summer. In the town where the ferry is, there seemed to be a lot going on. Halifax was one of my favorite cities in NS.
Check out the Bra' Dor lakes in Sydney, also. I was diggin' that area. It tripped me out seeing fatass jellyfish in lakes too.

st1tch

Reaction score
...Check out CONTAGIUM!
They are from there.... awesome dudes- raging crust punx!!

I'm usually not so into crust punk (more into 80's hardcore- Reagan Youth, Circle Jerks, etc.), but I checked them out, and their pretty sweet.

steelcitybrew

Reaction score
I was there about 6 years ago in the summer. In the town where the ferry is, there seemed to be a lot going on. Halifax was one of my favorite cities in NS.
Check out the Bra' Dor lakes in Sydney, also. I was diggin' that area. It tripped me out seeing fatass jellyfish in lakes too.

Fuck yeah, I hitched the cabot trail last summer. Cape Breton is up there with the most beautiful place in Canada.
Kids and adults from Sydney know how to fuckin party!

barnaclebones

Reaction score
ha! my pals stopped at my place in maine on the way to and from cape breton. i cant believe how huge the whole step/contra dancing rage is up there. they had a blast though... livin in a cabin last winter til it was just too damn cold to stay.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads