Guide to the Bay Area DIY music scene

Batsy

Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
I’ve been involved with the Bay Area (CA) scene for almost 10 years now. I’ve sent the following info to a number of friends in the past as they’ve visited and asked where to find shows, so I figured I’d make one big post here for anyone looking to get involved with the scene or at least catch some shows in the area.

Resources for finding shows:

The List (website):
The List (updated 4/24/2024) - http://www.foopee.com/punk/the-list/

This is an online list of pretty much every show coming up in the Bay Area. It’s not limited to any particular genre either. If you’ve got nothing to do and want to find some live music tonight, this is a great resource to see what’s going on. (It has future shows listed too).

510-BAD-SMUT (phone number):

Call this number to hear a pre-recorded voice message with info for upcoming punk shows happening in the area during the next week.

Instagram pages for show flyers:
@bayareashows
@bayareapunkshows
@bay_area_metal

Venues:
(This is by no means a complete list)

924 Gilman (Berkeley):

This is an all ages venue that’s been around since the 80’s and has been a big part of East Bay punk history ever since. If you show up an hour before doors and ask to volunteer, you can help out for half the show in exchange for free entry. Bring a paint marker to tag the inside of the venue too, if you feel so inclined.

Stay Gold Deli (Oakland):

This deli hosts all ages shows. It tends to draw a younger crowd, and the cover tends to be pretty inexpensive. They have great sandwiches too.

9 Lives Warehouse (Oakland):

This is a relatively newer venue at the time of posting. The shows also tend to be all ages here. There’s lots of graffiti and murals on the inside of the venue to look at, and it’s got a very DIY spirit.

Tamarack (Oakland):

Located in downtown Oakland, this worker’s collective hosts many types of events from food pop-ups, documentary screenings, talks about activism, and of course, live music. It’s a very small space and tends to get crowded during the busier shows. It’s an all-ages space. There’s lots of radical stickers, posters, and pamphlets all over the venue. Some members of the collective run a free library in the upstairs room, and on some nights various cooks will be serving food.

DNA Lounge (SF):

This two-story nightclub has weekly and monthly reoccurring events, as well as many individual shows. Some of the events are 18+ or 21+, and some are all ages. A number of the shows they host are big-name artists, but they do have some underground bands perform there as well.

Good Time Tavern (Livermore):

This dive bar in the Tri-Valley hosts live music semi-regularly (often multiple nights a month). Entry tends to be free, so buy some merch from the performers and get some drinks (tip your bartender!). This venue is 21+, given that it’s a bar. They also have other events, including their weekly comedy open mic.

Promoters:

Slaughterhouse Promotions:
General Instagram Page
Davis-specific Instagram Page

This is a personal friend of mine who got started booking extreme metal shows in Davis, CA as a student. She’s been credited for reviving the Davis metal scene, and now she books shows in the Bay Area as well. Slaughterhouse’s shows tend to involve performing from various extreme metal bands. This is definitely a great one to keep an eye on for you metalheads.

Gregg Deadface:
Instagram

Gregg books lots of DIY shows in the Bay Area, and is the creator of the infamous 510 Grind Fest in Oakland. If you love grindcore, check out his upcoming shows, as he books a lot of grind bands.

Zest Bay Collective:
Instagram

This collective books a lot of grind and powerviolence shows in the Bay Area as well as out of town. They’re responsible for the massive Zesta Grande fest.

Local Fests and Other Reoccurring Events:

Zesta Grande:
(Promoted by Zest Bay Collective)

Big DIY fest in the East Bay and SF. Lots of grind and fast chaotic music.

510 Grind Fest:
(Promoted by Gregg Deadface)

This is another multi-day DIY grind fest. It sounds like it’s uncertain if it will happen again, but I chose to include it in this list in case it does, and to pay my respects. It’s been a pretty significant event in recent years.

Shitshow in the Park (and other Shitshows):
Organized by False Flag and Surprise Privilege

These two bands have played many shows in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, and will sometimes organize renegade performances in a number of other unorthodox locations. In 2023, they made Bay Area punk history by performing a show on a moving subway train.

I hope this information is helpful.
I’ll update this post if I think of anything else

Last edited:

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads