General Hawaii Information

astreet09

Reaction score
i'm also talking with a few people who are considering doing this, but we have no idea how we'd get out there. the cheapest flight i've seen for this is like 350, and none of us have the money for that. i've got no idea how to go about trying to stow away on any kind of boat, or if its even fucking possible, or how to contact anyone that would be willing to take us if they know a way.

shaggydope

Reaction score
hawaii ships all their trash here to the lower 48 so technically you could ride back to hawaii on a container ship of some sort. i remember reading a thread in the trainhopping forum a while back about getting to hawaii that way. wouldn't recommend it though.

keg

Reaction score
i am trying to get from hawaii to mainland,been tryin for almost 2 years nothin.i am on the no fly list so cannot fly.but i guess being stuck in hawaii is not bad.plus this is home.but right now rain,rain,rain,and fuckin pigs,let me know if you find a boat,about 2 years ago i was trting to go back to japan but could not find any boats,barges,i guess if i really tried getting to cali might be easy

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
hmmm...i would say, if you really want to - hook up with a sailing crew. i'm not sure of the sites (theres several) but sometimes boats are lookin for crew - helps if you can cook, know how to sail, etc.. in exchange for a ride. but it's not worth it to take a trash barge.....unless you just want braggin rights/a cool story. it's gonna cost you more to take a barge then to just fuckin fly there man

Uncle Mom

Reaction score
Website
www.freedirtfilm.com
Okay, so you could swim, jump, barge thingy, pineapple train, whatever.
Is there accually any money or anything to do there or are you an ocean away from mainland and stuck?

Shulseee

Reaction score
If you're thinking about flying out to hawaii, your best bet is to hitch to LA, or any west coastal city. You can buy flights for one way trips for around 350-400 bucks if you want to leave immediately. But if you buy the tickets early, you're looking at saving 200 bucks.

godsahn

Reaction score
Website
www.godsahn.wordpress.com
Anyone here considering this? I'm narrowing down my options and I have always wanted to go. Beaches and wild fruit always appealed to me.....that and taking up surfing.It would be nice to have a travel mate, so if some of you out there are serious and considering it, drop me a line.

From what I have read Pahoa, Big Island seems to have a pretty good spirit
http://directory.ic.org/intentional_communities_in_Hawaii

dartagnan

Reaction score
Hey, hows it going? i Lived in Hawaii for maybe a little over a year off and on. i lived on the big island near Pahoa. its a good spot. when i was there ice was a big problem. probably still is. some of the locals SOME are in fact racists, and really dont like rich white folk. sometimes even poor white folk. mostly rich or even middle class white folk. really though i only had about 3 bad experiences with the locals. other than that a real aloha vibe. its a great place but remember it rains like a son of a bitch in on the Hilo side. Kona is desert and hot, but also very touristy. all in all its a great place. I left a piece of my heart there and will be back to get it some day. let me know how it goes and maybe I can help.
aloha

Reaction score
Anyone here considering this? I'm narrowing down my options and I have always wanted to go. Beaches and wild fruit always appealed to me.....that and taking up surfing.It would be nice to have a travel mate, so if some of you out there are serious and considering it, drop me a line.

From what I have read Pahoa, Big Island seems to have a pretty good spirit
http://directory.ic.org/intentional_communities_in_Hawaii
yep!i was kinda considering this as well,i just dont fell like being inside anymore but also wondering where to be

flashinglights

Reaction score
tickets are 200 or less 1 way.

Ramen Tamer

Reaction score
I was planning on going to Hawaii this year. Boats leave San Diego from December to February. It shouldn't be too hard to hitch a ride on one. I was thinking I'd hit Maui, but Big Island doesn't sound like a bad idea, either.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads