General Hawaii Information

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
if you plan to learn to surf, big island's not the place for it. because it's a newer island, the reef breaks is very shallow and dangerous to surf thruout most of the island. but otherwise, puna district is alright if you like intentional eco-communities and hippies. no busses past pahoa tho, so you'll end up hitching a lot but it's easy.
----
maui you might also like to check out from Paia on towards Hana. lots of hippies and fruit.
----
now if you really want to get off the beaten path tho, look in to the Kalalau Valley. eating fresh caught wild goat steaks on "spiritual pizza" cooked between two cast iron pans, hiking the 12 mile trail along breath-taking sea cliffs, sleeping under the stars on a heiau (ancient hawaiian temple) perched atop a sea cliff and watching schools of dolphins swim by in the morning, talking with all the characters of the valley (some who have lived off the grid there for decades), spending all day hiking nude thru the jungle and bathing in the cool healing freshwater pools of a stream (which you can drink straight from) are some of the highlights of the time i spent there.
----
btw, pretty much the only fruit you'll find growing wild here that is plentiful in the winter will be coconuts and guavas. most other fruits are seasonal - in the summer. (winter is rainy season and high surf on north facing shores) Hope that helps some!!!

Reactions: godsahn

godsahn

Reaction score
Website
www.godsahn.wordpress.com
now if you really want to get off the beaten path tho, look in to the Kalalau Valley. eating fresh caught wild goat steaks on "spiritual pizza" cooked between two cast iron pans, hiking the 12 mile trail along breath-taking sea cliffs, sleeping under the stars on a heiau (ancient hawaiian temple) perched atop a sea cliff and watching schools of dolphins swim by in the morning, talking with all the characters of the valley (some who have lived off the grid there for decades), spending all day hiking nude thru the jungle and bathing in the cool healing freshwater pools of a stream (which you can drink straight from) are some of the highlights of the time i spent there.

I like the way this spiritual pizza sounds. Also, thanks for the heads up on the surf recommendation

rubetown

Reaction score
I here there is a barge you can get on from sanfran for 30bucks, not bad to make in a day. Takes a while tho i hear, but that's my plan for wintertime too. See yall there

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i've stood at the top of that waterfall at 0:24 and thought about jumping lol.....nice vid, theres a lot of scenes of kalalau in there too :)

acrata4ever

Reaction score
[quote="btw, pretty much the only fruit you'll find growing wild here that is plentiful in the winter will be coconuts and guavas. [/quote]

guava is wild there? god i can live on coconut and guava. they make guava pastries? and coconut bread?

keg

Reaction score
do not come to oahu until after whatever the stuff with the president or whatever is done.i think it is at the end of next month but the cops have been cleaning house already.so since most likely your ticket will be to here but just sleep at airport and get flight to any other island as soon as possible.they are even bothering mentally ill people that they never mess with because they do not want to stink up there cars.and any of you who no Matt he just go locked up for shooting up an 14 year old girl who oded(but lived)taling about giving him 20 years.his bail is 200,000.nuts aloha

K

Kim Chee

I lived in papaikou for 1/2 year. I stayed in a really nice place and found all of those yummy fruits. The bananas are pretty small and wont hurt your ego too. If you're headed to the Hilo side, you'll be getting wet 130" average rainfall/year last I remember. Think of Seattle times 3. I didn't do it, but I hear when its time to leave you can get a free ticket out via welfare.:)

godsahn

Reaction score
Website
I have been procrastinating getting myself out there. Good thing is, over Thanksgiving I had a family member offer me their frequent flyer miles to get out there. Anyone else out that way or going that way? Or does anyone have any friends/connections out that way?I want to get to Kalalau Valley and kick it there for New Years Eve. And I will heed peoples recommendations on bringing tobacco/chocolate..etc.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
ya should wait a little longer till after rainy season. it's going to make passing the rivers to get to kalalau pretty treacherous if the waters flowing good not to mention it willl be pretty WET :) But if you do end up going, and meeting an old chubby jolly guy named Santiago.....PLEASE! try to write down the lyrics for his song "High and Easy" for me. i would do ANYTHING to get those lyrics lol :) hope you finally make it out there!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
and if you get stuck in Lihue in the rain, there's a nice abandoned factory near the main grocery store there you could probably find a place to crash out of the rain

godsahn

Reaction score
Website
i stopped procrastinating and bought my ticket, been keeping an eye on this travel site and the price dropped enough for me to pounce on it. Arriving in Kauai on the 19th...I'm pretty stoked to avoid the N.E. winter as mild as it has been. Looking forward to parlaying it on some beaches with my feet in the sand. I was aiming to celebrate the new year in Kalalau...but I'll get there eventually.
tumblr_luzv4zizt81qevdz1o1_1280.jpg

Reactions: iamwhatiam

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads