Gainsville, FL

Jack T

Reaction score
Brooksville Fl, a redneck town in hernando county,about 2 hours from gainsville. I just wanna check out all the Florida locals i keep hearing about before i leave, because i'm convinced this state isn't shit, just where I am. Other places i want to hit up are Orlando and maybe Pensecola.

marc

Reaction score
pensacola is pretty cool, here you have end of the line vegan restaurant, sluggos vegan restaurant/venue, open books book store, 309 punk house,the bluffs, hobo beach, pensacola beach, and theres also the abandoned forts out at fort pickens which are fun to explore.

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Dang, that makes three(that I know of) people here at StP currently in Hernando county. Never thought I would see that. I had just about given up hope that there are some cool people around here.

Jack T

Reaction score
pensacola is pretty cool, here you have end of the line vegan restaurant, sluggos vegan restaurant/venue, open books book store, 309 punk house,the bluffs, hobo beach, pensacola beach, and theres also the abandoned forts out at fort pickens which are fun to explore.

that sounds like a nice place, ill definitely make an effort to try and get out there.

Dang, that makes three(that I know of) people here at StP currently in Hernando county. Never thought I would see that. I had just about given up hope that there are some cool people around here.

who else here is from hernando? it would awesome to meet other people from here interested in travelling a bit.

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Well, the ones I know of for sure besides myself are you and Birdy. One other member has their location listed as 352, but last I checked that can be anywhere in Hernando, Citrus, Lake, Levy, Marion, Dixie, Gilchrist, or Sumter county.

I'd love to get some kind of meetup going.

genghis braun

Reaction score
I live in gainesville. if you get here, pm me and I'll show you around.

Birdy

Reaction score
Yeah hernando only has a few cool things that I know of.
Niggaterey
Some neat spots off the coast where it's like swamp land (good for frog giggin')
The weeki watchee river (a fuckin blast in the summer time if you can get your hands on a canoe or something)
The train tracks are pretty neat to walk along since they take you through some pretty wicked run offs that are just gorgeous and you can find some bones.
In pasco I know a lotttt of punk kids who would probably travel.

It's tough living in Florida if you're in the wrong spots, but if you have an open mind and an adventurous soul, you're bound to find something to do lol. That's what I had to do and I'm still discovering stuff.

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Just found out you can, theoretically, hop a train from Brooksville to Clearwater, but by the looks of things, it would probably be quicker and easier to walk.

I know all about those spots out on the coast. Most weekends you can find me and/or my brother out there in our camo'ed up canoe, hunting monster reds and sea trout.

Linda Pedersen(SP) Park is good for an overnight spot if you're sneaky. Stash your gear in the swamp and hit the beach all day, when the park closes walk across the street to Jenkins creek hang out there until about an hour after dark, cross the foot bridge back into LP, grab yur stuff and shack up under one of the pavilions. If you got a tarp, hiding up against the back of the bathrooms is a good spot, you won't be seen in the EXTREMELY unlikely chance somebody patrols the park. Only downside is you gotta be up, packed and have your stuff stashed well before sunup, just in case the workers decided to clean up in the morning instead of the night before... You might also have to fight off raccoons...

Avoid the temptation of sleeping in/under/around the observation tower. Best case scenario, you get run off by a couple looking to get nasty. Worst case scenario you wake up to a couple getting nasty, or you wake up with a used rubber next to your head.

Wouldn't recommend spending too much time in Jenkins creek at night. Lots of creeps out there when the sun is up, even more when the sun goes down...

Birdy

Reaction score
Yeah, jenkins creek is what I was trying to think of. My dad used to take me out there a lot in the airboat and we'd sit in the truck and watch the awesome lightning storms

Is there a rail yard in brookseville??

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
No, but the rock mine has a rail line running in and out of it. They mostly use grainers to haul phosphate and gypsum down to Tampa. The train moves pretty fast once it's going, but if you catch it just outside the mine while it's starting up it shouldn't be too hard.

Getting off is the hard part. I know the train runs pretty slowly when it crosses Busch Blvd and from there you might be able to catch to Clearwater, but I don't know if it's slow enough to hop out. If not, you're pretty much stuck until you hit the Yeoman/Uceta yard, unless your car gets pulled into a siding, in which case you're either headed down an industrial spur, or getting busted.

All in all it doesn't look like a good line to ride, but then again, I've never rode it. All of what I know about it comes from brief encounters while driving, and google maps.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot, theres also a siding next to Cobb Rd. near Parrot Middle

R

Rstank

gains is awesome check out the civic media center they will point you into any given direction......throw aways, places to sleep, places to meet people......all that crap and i could probebly call in some favors if you needed to stay with someone my cousin would put you up and i got a buddy there named forrest hed probebly put you up for a bit

whaleofashrimp

Reaction score
Just found out you can, theoretically, hop a train from Brooksville to Clearwater, but by the looks of things, it would probably be quicker and easier to walk.

I know all about those spots out on the coast. Most weekends you can find me and/or my brother out there in our camo'ed up canoe, hunting monster reds and sea trout.

Linda Pedersen(SP) Park is good for an overnight spot if you're sneaky. Stash your gear in the swamp and hit the beach all day, when the park closes walk across the street to Jenkins creek hang out there until about an hour after dark, cross the foot bridge back into LP, grab yur stuff and shack up under one of the pavilions. If you got a tarp, hiding up against the back of the bathrooms is a good spot, you won't be seen in the EXTREMELY unlikely chance somebody patrols the park. Only downside is you gotta be up, packed and have your stuff stashed well before sunup, just in case the workers decided to clean up in the morning instead of the night before... You might also have to fight off raccoons...

Avoid the temptation of sleeping in/under/around the observation tower. Best case scenario, you get run off by a couple looking to get nasty. Worst case scenario you wake up to a couple getting nasty, or you wake up with a used rubber next to your head.

Wouldn't recommend spending too much time in Jenkins creek at night. Lots of creeps out there when the sun is up, even more when the sun goes down...

sounds like alot of trouble for a spot...i'd rather hit a bridge

RoboIsGod

Reaction score
Yo Floridians! I'm going to be Jacksonville in a few weeks and was hoping to hang in Florida for a wee bit. I'm thinking of heading to Gainesville, and maybe somewhere else close to Jax (gotta hop back outta there, don't wanna go too far.

If anyone would be willing to show me and a friend around, it'd be greatly appreciated. As of right now we don't have a place to stay, but thats half the fun you know.
Also, hows hitchin' in FL? Someone said don't bother, but I figure people ought to be kinda nice in such a warm place.

Thanks!

marc

Reaction score
it really depends if its good hitchin, if you look really crusty you will have a hard time getting picked up but the closer it gets to the rainbow gathering the easier the hitching is gonna be. good luck

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads