Figure it out yourself, asshole! (Becoming independant) | Squat the Planet

Figure it out yourself, asshole! (Becoming independant)

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Thanks for posting this meatroll.
It's refreshing to see someone post to actually help someone help themselves instead of just bellyaching about all the inexperienced kids on the site.

connerR

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I've got some additions.

Railfan sites for the West Coast/Southern California:

TrainOrders is great, but these have helped me a lot, too!

SoCalRailFan Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Very detailed, but some sections aren't very active. Still, I've gotten a lot of good info off of this site.

West Coast Rail Forums
Probably my favorite for the west coast.

Other stuff that some of you might find interesting:

UPRR-MileageCalculator:New Mileage Calculator Search
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I've used it a few times to get a general idea how many miles my trip might be. Or just calculate how many miles you've ridden and boost your punk points!

Railcams, Railroad Web Cams & Live Train Videos (Webcams)
WebCams of trains, yards. Kinda cool, but some of it doesn't seem to have too much use and sometimes the refreshing is slow.

One thing I do a lot is look up pictures of trains, but that goes hand in hand with railfan sites and YouTube. Sometimes, Flickr (or anywhere young people post photos) has shown me things others haven't, though. For instance, I've found pictures taken by riders of catch out spots, and those have helped me get an idea for what the area I'll be dealing with is going to be like.

Reactions: ipoPua

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! And yeah, any additions are encouraged. I tried to keep the main post as general as possible to keep it from getting the TL;DR treatment - there are definately tons of other useful links & methods out there.

IIIbonesIII

Reaction score
now i am going to catch more hell than jesus on the fucking cross right now but... that aint right....
i was sixteen years old back in 05 my first place to figure out... chicago lol, fortunatly i had a cc, but still i was on my own i knew nothing coming from baltimore, and you know i wouldve loved some help. now the cc was wrong but directions were spec, the only purpose of that piddly thing. anyway, we all started somewhere, and asking for help is an outcast reaching out to another outcast and if that second outcast extends a middle finger. well what does that teach? huh? the wrong deal my man. and fuck anyone who says im not an outcast for hopping trains, or living off the grid, because that makes you straight up simple. you post on a site dedicated to what you love, regardless of anything. and this aint exactly 9 to 5
im 21, i have alot to learn about life, but trains, sir i got that, in spades. believe you me. but still, WE ALL STARTED SOMEWHERE. and i have a good friend of mine i met SLO and took the boy out and taught him everything i know about what not. his 1st 3 yards roseville, bailly (north platte) and priviso (chi) so where is he now, stuck in colton. been there for two months. some people are just not capable of getting it. but other friends are still out there today. there are a few dummies, but indepence comes with understanding. you tell the new kids to figure it out, you are going to have alot of stupids, distrusting other riders therefore not respecting other riders, see causing problems. new kids with a passion fucking up, blowing shit up. i hope to elimate all of that. to many people that get by once or twice on hot shit to you or i blow up something, for you or i.
if someone wants a little correct info, from someone who KNOWS BETTER. fuck. we know better, theyre still independent enough to do it on there own. they dont want a hand held while they get there grip on it. just some knowledge. share it or dont.
and then people get mad when they dont get the thanx or report back they fell they deserve. wtf my friends. if you dedicated a part of your life to something and you know shit, share it. especially if someone else needs help. you werent looking to make a friend were you? if you cant create unity in something off the grid, stay on the grid.
its my opinion. sorry if offend.

RideMoreTrains

Reaction score
I just hate to see posts like "how do i get from baltimore to the west coast..." well where in the fuck on the west coast are you headed?

And I hate people that want to learn how to hop out of the TOWN YOU LIVE IN, and come here looking for advice long before they've even scouted one got damn yard. If you live in the town you need to go down to the yard before asking any questions here. Before I hopped out I scouted a single NS yard out for 2 years. I knew everything about that stupid yard before I finally hopped out on my own. Nothing is free in life or easy in life so why should train hopping be? If you want to be a good hobo get out there and start watching/riding trains every single chance you get, and then after a while you'll have things figured out.

For me being independent is a personal thing. I hate relying on other people and I don't know how so many of you do it so much. You should want to figure things out on your own, because when you do its 100x more rewarding than having someone teach you step by step. Some of you need to learn to take life by the neck because I don't know how you got anywhere by being passive and wanting things handed to you.

Withoutatrace

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I have not been on for a while and got a message in my email saying where you bin? So I’m trying to contribute.
First off I have been leaving this forum alone because there are too many people here on train hopping who have never been on a freight train.
Some are young kids who just want to be “cool” and act like they are world travelers, when the reality is that they are living with their mothers – and by the sounds of some of them will be until they are forty.
Cussing and being sexually outrageous is not cool, it’s being juvenile. I was a kid once and probably just as bad, but I left all that behind in the school yard, like laughing about breaking wind.
I just do not want to deal with these morons. I agree with Meatroll, some of the people that log onto this site want everything handed to them, before they dare to ride a train. Most of them are just talk anyway and are not going anywhere.
And another thing, there is not such thing as a rubber tramp. You either tramp or you drive, and someone driving has no right to class themselves as a freight train rider.
Look it up. Tramp 1 (also hobo) [COUNTABLE] a person with no home or job who travels from place to place, usually asking people in the street for food or money
2 [SINGULAR] the tramp of somebody/something the sound of somebody's heavy steps the tramp of marching feet3 [COUNTABLE, USUALLY SINGULAR] a long walk
Synonym
TREK We had a long tramp home.4 (OLD-FASHIONED, NORTH AMERICAN ENGLISH, DISAPPROVING) a woman who has many sexual partners

Nothing there about driving is there?
However if you are a woman who has many sexual partners who is driving, rubber tramp might apply to you. In that case stay off a freight train riders forum.
There is some good stuff here, and things change. Looking at the links from Meatroll, I can see I can see a lot of useful info there.
However I am tempted to just view and not post because if I post I have to deal with these members who talk shit and shouldn’t be on this hopping forum anyway.

IIIBONESIII, Posted a good line: “Some people are just not capable of getting it.”
That’s right, and if they have never even rode a train they should stay on the hitchhiking forum – anyone can travel by sticking their thumb out, freight train riding takes a little more brainpower.

Widerstand you should shift these people onto the right forum, which you might set up. Call it the wannabes forum. There they can cuss and talk garbage all they want and we don’t have to read it.
Well rant over – take it or leave it.
I’m sure I’m going to have a hundred insults claiming this, claiming that, but unless they are from a proper freight train rider I will not be taking any notice.

Withoutatrace

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
Withoutatrace said:
First off I have been leaving this forum alone because there are too many people here on train hopping who have never been on a freight train.

Nothing wrong with newbies if they are intelligent, genuinely interested, put in some work themselves, and aren't just doing it because they think it's cool. I also try to reinforce the fact that riding trains and living this lifestyle is not for everyone.

Withoutatrace said:
I agree with Meatroll, some of the people that log onto this site want everything handed to them, before they dare to ride a train.

yeah there are alot of kids like this and I don't like these types either. These kinds of kids will get nothing from me. I do try to weed out all the bull shit, stupidity, and discourage the I'm entitled attitude. This kinda shit pisses me off too.

Withoutatrace said:
And another thing, there is not such thing as a rubber tramp. You either tramp or you drive, and someone driving has no right to class themselves as a freight train rider.
Look it up. Tramp 1 (also hobo) [COUNTABLE] a person with no home or job who travels from place to place, usually asking people in the street for food or money
2 [SINGULAR] the tramp of somebody/something the sound of somebody's heavy steps the tramp of marching feet3 [COUNTABLE, USUALLY SINGULAR] a long walk
Synonym
TREK We had a long tramp home.4 (OLD-FASHIONED, NORTH AMERICAN ENGLISH, DISAPPROVING) a woman who has many sexual partners

Nothing there about driving is there?

Actually it just says a person who travels. Doesn't say how the travel.
Hobos ride trains, Rubbertramps drive, leather tramps hitch. thought we all knew that.

Withoutatrace said:
There is some good stuff here, and things change. Looking at the links from Meatroll, I can see I can see a lot of useful info there.
However I am tempted to just view and not post because if I post I have to deal with these members who talk shit and shouldn’t be on this hopping forum anyway.

Yes there is some really good info on this forum, and I encourage everyone to contribute to it if they can. If they can't now in time they will be able too. Everyone has to start somewhere. Some will stick with it, some won't. You'll have that with everything in life. As for those who shouldn't be on here. I think maybe those who think they are too good to contribute, Those who think we ow them, And those who just want to be cool of course.

Withoutatrace said:
That’s right, and if they have never even rode a train they should stay on the hitchhiking forum – anyone can travel by sticking their thumb out, freight train riding takes a little more brainpower.

As I said everyone has to start somewhere. the more they know before they start the better.
And let me guess you're one of those people who call hitchhikers bitchhikers? We all have to hitch sometimes whether we like it or not it just happens. Sometimes trains just aren't an option.

Withoutatrace said:
Widerstand you should shift these people onto the right forum, which you might set up. Call it the wannabes forum. There they can cuss and talk garbage all they want and we don’t have to read it.

Well rant over – take it or leave it.
I’m sure I’m going to have a hundred insults claiming this, claiming that, but unless they are from a proper freight train rider I will not be taking any notice.

First of all I'm the moderator of this forum now. Widerstand does not use STP anymore really, but I still talk to him quite often. Second damn. I'm a bit of an elitist myself and I don't deny that, A lot of us are, all the bullshit and stupidity kind of makes us this way, but damn son what are you God of the fucking hobos or something? I still try to help those I feel are deserving of it. As for a proper freight train rider, I'm not real sure what that is to you but I'm pretty damn sure I would fit the description.

So If you have info to contribute I would encourage you to do so, but if all you wanna do is come in here and bitch and complain and talk shit and fuck up good posts by people who are willing to contribute then just don't post anything.

Rant over.
614 crust AKA Angel

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
Withoutatrace said:
I left all that behind in the school yard, like laughing about breaking wind.

farts will always be funny
1zp1etd.jpg

Reactions: figgot

parasite

Reaction score
thanks! all this info seems really helpful. i'll probably be reading the stuff about the symbols until my eyes start bleeding tonight. but does knowing a lot about the symbols really serve any practical use?

anyways

Reaction score
Dang, I hope I'm not about to seem like the kind of kid this thread is scolding.... but the rail atlas link isn't working for me...and I've been trying to find a good one of those for a bit... :/

and also...the railfan sites (csx is what I'm after) have me a bit confused... I'm guessing the first two sets of numbers next to the loc is the time the train gets to that spot and the time it leaves... but what the heck is the QB ###/ QC### shit about?
My apologies if this is something supposed to be obvious. I've never tried to figure out trains online before...I've always just sat and waited for one going my way in person... Never had a ccg either....

So yeah...anyone care to shed some light on this for me? please and thank you xox

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads