Figure it out yourself, asshole! (Becoming independant)

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Hell yeah riding the rails broke is the only way to do it!Haha.Its the only real way to travel and makes things more interesting.

I'm probably gonna take sometime off from hitting the rails since circles just had a nasty accident and had his leg removed below the knee from a slip up.Sorta bothers me because if i was there it might have happened to me as well.I always followed him onto the same cars and what not.

But it won't discourage me though.I am ALWAYS on my A game when im around those huge hunks of rolling steel.IF i grab a car while its moving i grab the damn handles like my life depends on it and IT DOES.You slip up once you are either going A under the car then B getting limbs removed.Then C you might live after 5-20 cars run over your damn corpse if you are 'lucky'.All and all its all worth while long as you are on your game and focused on what you are doing.

K

Kim Chee

I dont know about you but i was under the impression that people originally started riding trains because they wanted to get somewhere and had no scrilla.

sUya__eQwJxvNGIN3dW9ZwlW3IhnqAq1uypbaJLshQJBFtw8sg.jpg

That's what I used to think, but train riders do have money! This is what I do when I need a few dollars. Its AMAZING what everyday people will do for a few dollars. By diggin' in the trash you can get some cash and they will do your bidding. Try it, it works!
Also, I want 10% of any proceeds earned by implementing this completely awesome and original idea.

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Here in Oregon they make it so that: 1. The can has to be intact with bar code. 2. Out of state cans arent excepted. and 3. You can only cash out $7 a day. There are ways around this but damn its a pain in the ass. I sure do miss California :(.

P

Pheonix

sUya__eQwJxvNGIN3dW9ZwlW3IhnqAq1uypbaJLshQJBFtw8sg.jpg

That's what I used to think, but train riders do have money! This is what I do when I need a few dollars. Its AMAZING what everyday people will do for a few dollars. By diggin' in the trash you can get some cash and they will do your bidding. Try it, it works!
Also, I want 10% of any proceeds earned by implementing this completely awesome and original idea.

I have $5 if you can teach me your recycling skills, but I might have to pay you in cans.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
Cans are chumps change. Recovered golf balls are were it's at. That and catalytic converters ;)

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
wize, yeah thats definitely some serious bullshit. but like, i would have no idea how to figure out getting on trains if it werent for this site. i -still- hardly have a clue lol. i dont expect to have anything handed to me and i would never be so rude or selfentitled as to think i had the right to ask for a straight walkthrough, but i've still been given shit for asking simple questions. eh doesnt matter though i definitely get what youre saying, i just think some people take it too far and treat -every- noobie like one of those prick kids

Ya man I agree with you, some people are dicks about it a bit much. This and other sites are here to discuss such topics at hand, but I guess there are varying degrees of what people feel is kosher to talk about. For me I thinks its a matter of "teach a man to fish" vs." give a man a fish".
Saying to someone who hasn't hopped before " ya a Vancouver bound IM leaves from location A daily at Midnight. It will pull out of the yard at 5mph and then stop for clearance before it pulls onto the main. Wait at mp XXX to nab a DPU." Isnt really helping them out. There is a fuck of a lot more to hopping trains than such and such train leaves from said location.

Train hopping is kind of an intimate thing, and most of us have put in a lot of time getting fucked over while learning whats what. When we know the ins and out of a place, its something we really worked for and put time into. Now most of us secretly enjoy getting fucked over on trains, but none the less when someone who hasn't even set foot on train tracks comes along and flatout says "YO bro where do I catch this train" its fucking offensive.
Its offensive because A, we pride ourselves in what it takes to learn and pull off shit most people don't know/cant do; and B, because the true spirit of a train hopper is being that fucking renegade that despite everything stacked against them, they can figure it out and pull it off on there own. When people who aren't fucking renegades consider joining our ranks its scary.
That's where the freedom lies, and as train hoppers that's what we respect. Until we know someone has put that time and effort into it, questions like "where do you get that train" are going to be met with hostility. If you think you can just get answers online then go out and everything will work out, your seriously delusional (I'm talking generally here).

Where to start? Find a train yard

For me its been the past year that things have been getting out of hand. I used to love getting emails and talking trains. 90% of people who emailed me about train hopping where just dreamers and as soon as they had to put any real thought into it that was that. But 10% or so of kids once pointed in the right direction would take the time and learn the shit. Id get emails back like, man I found the spot, then I went and scoped it out for a few weeks and I got a pattern down, and then I caught out and it was amazing...that shit is golden for me, but those kids showed initiative and in the end they did it on there own.

I rarely get emails like those anymore...cant even remember the last time to be honest. The same goes for most of the posts from new kids on these websites. There is such a total disregard for everything "train hopping" in 95% of the posts. Some kid thinks because he dresses like a punk he somehow thinks its his given right to get handed info. It used to be sad but these days its becoming down right angering.
I used to take the odd new kid out and show em the ropes once or twice a year.. haven't done it in almost two years now..same goes for answering emails. I never wanted to be that guy who snubbed people off, but these days most of the emails I get make my blood boil.

All that to say: People starting out who only ask about where to catch a specific train, will never become train hoppers plain and simple.

Reactions: ipoPua and Doobie_D

ipoPua

Reaction score
googling 'buy van cheap good mileage' doesnt really do me much good. i'm not saying i need the advice, which is why i've never asked for it, i was just answering his joke with an honest statement.
and wize yeah i totally hear that, i understand how much effort and time and misery you guys have put into it.

ipoPua

Reaction score
totally serious, but i've got about 20 bucks right now so if youre lookin t make a deal...

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pheonicks you are right, I am so mad. Btw good luck on your untrained MMA career whilst "rubbertramping" with multiple cats and dogs, I'm sure you'll be a hit

No pun intended

P

Pheonix

Pheonicks you are right, I am so mad. Btw good luck on your untrained MMA career whilst "rubbertramping" with multiple cats and dogs, I'm sure you'll be a hit

No pun intended

haha, thanks man I'm sure it will be a blast. But don't worry about me, I'm smart and I can figure shit out myself.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads