fermented foods and probiotics

kai

Reaction score
i've been making all kinds of ferments lately, krauts, kefirs, california bees (cultured water), yogurt, grains...i love it...great fucking shit..i really want a kombucha mother too.

if i am gonna live in a house for the winter I may as well take full advantage...time to get the barley malting too!

sweet potatoe

Reaction score
i actually really dont know much at all on this subject at all, but im definetly gonna look more into it. any tips or advice would be rad.
there was some super fuckin amazing fermented tea at this houseshow, it tasted like really sweet beer.

sweet potatoe

Reaction score
i once ate some bulgy dumpstered lentil soup because i figured "it's fermenting, that's good for you, right?"

i had the shits all day.

hahaha yeah i think the worst thing i saw that came out of a dumpster was a friend who decided it'd be really cool to eat some meat he found.
it was even cooler because we didn't really have any plumbing where we were living. so he came to the door an started screaming about his asshole an we started screaming about the toilet not having any possible way to flush his shit. after like a few minutes of yelling he just started bookin it down the street. out of curiosity as to where he'd shit we followed him. it ended up in some neighborhood, in some houses front yard. they just had new sod layed so he just lifted on of the pieces up kinda like a trap door.
theres also alot of stories about jelly filled donuts fermenting and such things like that haha
sorry bout yer day though.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
i once ate some bulgy dumpstered lentil soup because i figured "it's fermenting, that's good for you, right?"

i had the shits all day.

Hahaha, so important to know the proper types of fermenting! This is why it is important to smell everything before you eat it, your nose will remember what makes you sick!

I do want to do some kombucha though, but I can't do it squatting because of the utterly insane squirrels that try to raid my food stash.

hassysmacker

Reaction score
i actually really dont know much at all on this subject at all, but im definetly gonna look more into it. any tips or advice would be rad.
there was some super fuckin amazing fermented tea at this houseshow, it tasted like really sweet beer.
the fermented teas you drank was probably kombucha.

best resource i've found on fermenting foods is:

wild fermentation by Sandor Ellix Kraut

kai

Reaction score
wild fermentation is the best book on the subject in my opinion...i'd consider the best and most reasonable and easiest to follow. plus it's written in a manner that i enjoyed reading which makes a huge difference to me.

thisisme

Reaction score
I mostly ate vegan food at Rainbow Gathering, and it screwed up my body completely. Some people can live that way...me, I have to have meat.

Everybody talks about how healthy being vegan is, and look at how rail thin they always are, like their bodies are wasting away. I don't believe that's healthy.

Besides, they'll live denying themselves the fine pleasures of fried slaughtered animals and other assorted yummies, then 90% of them will get hit by a bus at 35. Then the people who eat the yummy stuff will live to be centenarians. It's a total statistical fact.
well, it probably 'screwed your body up" because your body was detoxing from all the toxins stored in it. As far as vegans being "rail thin" ive met plenty of chubby ones.on the othe hand being vegan doesnt automatically equal healthy you have to know something about nutrition and how to implement foods that make up for whats lost not consuming animal products. theres plenty of vegans who eat like shit living off of all soy based processed crap and of course thats not good for anyone. Whole organic foods are best in my opinion. if i could figure out how to stay raw on the road i would. i also agree there should be enjoyment in the food you eat. i think theres different ways to create that. the enjoyment of knowing what im putting into my body is nourishing it and the joy in preparing my own food as opposed to going to mcdonalds far outweighs the instant gratification of certain flavors. Of course everyone likes things that taste good, but good is a relative term. Youre body craves what its used to. i find veggies and fruits to be super tasty and crave them on a regular. that being said, to each their own. i dont care what you eat as long as your not giving me shit for my choices. i really hate that.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Fermented foods are the foremost subject overlooked by the modern holistic health movement. A lot of people spend insane amounts of money on acidophilus supplements without utlizing their local farmer's supply of raw milk or making homemade sauerkraut, kombucha or other cultures which typically have larger amounts of, and greater variety of, beneficial bacteria. Personally, I make my own whey and other cultures and make a point to ride my bike the 15 mile round trip every week to pick up raw fermented kefir, advertised as having 100 times the probiotic content of pasteurized yogurt, at the local farmer's market. I'm lactose intolerant and can only consume kefir because cheese and raw milk have lactose (and casein) and kefir doesn't. GTs kombucha is also a product that has been invaluable for overall detox and I buy it even though it's expensive because it has produced more tangible results than almost anything including herbal medicine. Another benefit of fermentation is that raw whey can digest sugars, meaning that you can have huge amounts of fermented fruit without it triggering an increase in blood sugar levels.

Wild Fermentation is by far the best source on this subject. I learned everything I know from visiting Sandor's off-the-grid farm, Short Mountain, for the annual Beltane celebration. Their kitchen is always full of a wide variety of fermented foods and after staying there for a month eating raw yogurt and sauerkraut I was so healthy compared to when I first showed up. Fermented foods are a miracle cure that everyone needs to know about. Unfortunately, there are mountains of paperwork aimed towards making these foods illegal and the FDA has been conducting armed raids on family farms and health food stores. Raw milk is still illegal in most states and millions of people's health is suffering because this valuable resource has been criminalized by the federal govt. So support your local hormone free dairy farmer and encourage them to produce raw ferments, if possible. I'm thinking of finding an under-the-table source because you can't sell raw whey in California, which means I have to also make cheese which I don't need or want.

bradupsthepunx

Reaction score
I mostly ate vegan food at Rainbow Gathering, and it screwed up my body completely. Some people can live that way...me, I have to have meat.

Everybody talks about how healthy being vegan is, and look at how rail thin they always are, like their bodies are wasting away. I don't believe that's healthy.

Besides, they'll live denying themselves the fine pleasures of fried slaughtered animals and other assorted yummies, then 90% of them will get hit by a bus at 35. Then the people who eat the yummy stuff will live to be centenarians. It's a total statistical fact.

i hope the fact that nothing died or felt pain for my food makes me get hit by a bus.

thisisme

Reaction score
Fermented foods are the foremost subject overlooked by the modern holistic health movement. A lot of people spend insane amounts of money on acidophilus supplements without utlizing their local farmer's supply of raw milk or making homemade sauerkraut, kombucha or other cultures which typically have larger amounts of, and greater variety of, beneficial bacteria. Personally, I make my own whey and other cultures and make a point to ride my bike the 15 mile round trip every week to pick up raw fermented kefir, advertised as having 100 times the probiotic content of pasteurized yogurt, at the local farmer's market. I'm lactose intolerant and can only consume kefir because cheese and raw milk have lactose (and casein) and kefir doesn't. GTs kombucha is also a product that has been invaluable for overall detox and I buy it even though it's expensive because it has produced more tangible results than almost anything including herbal medicine. Another benefit of fermentation is that raw whey can digest sugars, meaning that you can have huge amounts of fermented fruit without it triggering an increase in blood sugar levels.

Wild Fermentation is by far the best source on this subject. I learned everything I know from visiting Sandor's off-the-grid farm, Short Mountain, for the annual Beltane celebration. Their kitchen is always full of a wide variety of fermented foods and after staying there for a month eating raw yogurt and sauerkraut I was so healthy compared to when I first showed up. Fermented foods are a miracle cure that everyone needs to know about. Unfortunately, there are mountains of paperwork aimed towards making these foods illegal and the FDA has been conducting armed raids on family farms and health food stores. Raw milk is still illegal in most states and millions of people's health is suffering because this valuable resource has been criminalized by the federal govt. So support your local hormone free dairy farmer and encourage them to produce raw ferments, if possible. I'm thinking of finding an under-the-table source because you can't sell raw whey in California, which means I have to also make cheese which I don't need or want.
Well Said...Kimchi is also pretty awesome as far as fermented foods go<3

R

Roosterruler

About a dozen folks already said it, but Wild Fermentation is swell.
But if you don't want to buy it (Microcosm! - don't you dare consider getting it on Amazon), he's posted the instructions on his website since this thread was last updated.

Making Sauerkraut

I'm currently on my second batch. Oi, so delicious. I never liked sauerkraut until I had it fresh.

Making Sour Pickles

Vegetable Fermentation Further Simplified

if i am gonna live in a house for the winter I may as well take full advantage...time to get the barley malting too!

I'm with Kai - if I'm putting myself in one place for a few weeks, I'm going to take advantage of it. I've got some sprouting going on on my headboard (radish, mung bean, alfalfa, and red clover), gallons of kombucha brewing next to my books (costs me $0.06 a gallon) , sauerkraut fermenting by my bed, and a constant supply of beans in the fridge.

...make a point to ride my bike the 15 mile round trip every week to pick up raw fermented kefir, advertised as having 100 times the probiotic content of pasteurized yogurt, at the local farmer's market. I'm lactose intolerant and can only consume kefir because cheese and raw milk have lactose (and casein) and kefir doesn't. GTs kombucha is also a product that has been invaluable for overall detox and I buy it even though it's expensive because it has produced more tangible results than almost anything including herbal medicine. Another benefit of fermentation is that raw whey can digest sugars, meaning that you can have huge amounts of fermented fruit without it triggering an increase in blood sugar levels.

Oh man - that sounds delicious/amazing/wonderful...

treyvor

Reaction score
Fermented habanero garlic. I when i make it i warm ferment it at 75 degrees for four days and then i put it in the fridge for at least two weeks to finish the ferment. Sometimes it needs more vinegar because garlic does not produce a lot of lactic acid.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads