Europe

db3kfan

Reaction score
Late spring early summer I plan on flying to Europe via $270 ticket. Problem is, I live on the west coast. The flights only leave from the east. I'll have to figure out a way getting to the east that isn't going to wear me down before Europe. Anyway. How easy is the dumpstering in Europe? I know squat spots are easy enough to find, but how easy is it to find food? I read an article by a guy that only took 800 dollars with him and lived there for 2 years. Is it easy to find under the table work there? I know there isn't much in the way of rails over there, so hitching will probably be my main mode of transportation, but do you know of any others? Any tips on the extended, outside sleeping, hardcore backpacking trip to Europe?

elokupa

Reaction score
it really depends where in europe you plan on going. dumpstering is easy as hell, europe too is a land of excess. while hitching youll spend a fair amount of time in service stations, the petrol stations in those places are insanely easy to steal food from

under the table work can be fairly easy to find provided yyou can get past the language barriers

which countries do you plan to visit?

db3kfan

Reaction score
All of them if I can. I heard of a guy initially bringing 800 dollars with him and living there (hitching, working in hostels) for 2 years. Is that kind of thing still possible? I plan on sleeping outside most of the time and dumpstering or working for food. Will that swing in Europe? I'm not real big on stealing.

elokupa

Reaction score
rememberusername said:
I dont know what it is but I cant stand french

hah same.

db3kfan, france isnt very traveller friendly unless you speak the lingo.

england, germany, holland, czech republic, poland, lithuania, hungary...i highly recommend these places you might aswel visit them all if youre here. theres so many great countries in the european union now and i really dont enjoy france and italy. dunno why.

db3kfan

Reaction score
Well, I figured it may turn out that I'd just be passing through. I'm kind of hoping that I'll see what I want to see there, but find gems along the way that I have to stop for. How easy will it be, if I go alone, to find a traveling partner once I'm in Europe?

elokupa

Reaction score
Well, I figured it may turn out that I'd just be passing through. I'm kind of hoping that I'll see what I want to see there, but find gems along the way that I have to stop for. How easy will it be, if I go alone, to find a traveling partner once I'm in Europe?

youll meet loads of hitchhikers on the way and most will gladly team up with you for part of their/your journey, although it might be harder to find a long term partner.

when you get here you can contact me ifya want, ill be hitting the road again next summer and i havent heard from my road dog in a long while so i might be on the look out for a partner.

do you speak anything other than english?

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
The french are a bit sensitive about their language, I had a friend who spoke a bit of it with a seriously american accent, and that definitely did not fly over so well. I spoke it with a quebecois accent, and that went much better than I'd expected- they feel that accent is on the goofy side.

db3kfan

Reaction score
youll meet loads of hitchhikers on the way and most will gladly team up with you for part of their/your journey, although it might be harder to find a long term partner.

when you get here you can contact me ifya want, ill be hitting the road again next summer and i havent heard from my road dog in a long while so i might be on the look out for a partner.

do you speak anything other than english?

Yeah man, sweet. I guess I'll just let you know when I'm about to leave...see if you're still looking for roadie.

I can read a little French and speak even less, but I'm brushing up with a few programs and such. What country you in?

lilylove

Reaction score
You can definitely live in europe with no money at all. Plenty of squats, dumpsters are goldmines and hitchhiking is easy. Train hopping is harder for sure; but tried and tested too. Ill also be running around for the next year at least, feel free to hit me up when you head over.
I dont steal and ive found it pretty damn easy. Theres plenty of spots to pitch a tent too... and people everywhere will take you in and help you out :)

x

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
moved to international section.

Bullet

Reaction score
I traveled in France when I was younger and had no problems at all. We didn't speak any French and people were amazingly hospitable, despite the language barrier. I think that's just a stereotype.

jbilton1

Reaction score
When exactly you thinking of going, cos I leave for Italy on the 23rd March and I plan on hitchin', squatting and skipping my way round every European country I can and for as long as I can!

beermilkshake

Reaction score
Spain is good and bad for travelling. If your hitchiking make sure your alone. Its almost impossible in Catalunya (Where Barcelona is) so save some money for a train ticket. Down south in Andalucia its a lot easier because there are lots of morrocans and immigrants.

Dumpstering is a breeze, all you have to do is ask and they will give you the food. At my squat the other night they came back with like 100 cups of ice cream from this fancy store. Ive also had people give me older sandwiches straight off the rack before they were closed, just because we asked.

In Barcelona is pretty easy to find a squat to stay in for cheap-free. Here we all pay 3 euros a week to pay for basic foods and we dumpster the rest.

I hear hitchiking is a lot easier in France, Germany, Greece, eastern europe

wartomods

Reaction score
most people i talked to say they didnt like france, but i think it is because they didnt know french, i think france is super awsome.

stove

Reaction score
Hah france is one of my favorite countries to travel! Hitch-hiking is easy all over Europe, except for Italy and Spain (somewhat). I'll be back there for a last time this summer, will meet up with anyone around.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads