Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Rolling, empty boxcars to Sioux Falls, South Dakot
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello all!
I'm heading out today later on this evening to invest in another "new" digital camera.
What are some tips that you might be willing to share with me in reguards to what I should have my eyes open up to.
Also my price range will be between $125.00 and $165.00.
As most may have seen my past photos, they are of clear quality, but this was from digital cameras that I have owned that were around $90.00 and the last photos of mine were taken with a 10.2 mp camera I believe?
Any features that you may be able to think of that I will bennifit from being all the photos I'll be taking will only be of train hopping/trains/hoboes, etc....
I "DO" want the delayed-timer feature too, but any tips are welcome!
Thanks a million!
"Shoestring"

Reactions: Ravie

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
OK......I just got back from "K-Mart".
I just bought (on clearance) a new "Samsung" BL 1050.
It has 5X zoom, 10.2 MP......(It came with a carrying case and Duracell X-Tra longlife batteries and a 1GB memory card and the TV "AV" hook-up cords and the computer cords to download photos onto your PC.....All for $62.00!!! (I believe I got a "steal" on this camera)!!!

Uncle Stinky

Old Dog--Can't See, Can't Hear, And Right In The D
StP Supporter
Reaction score
You scored! They almost paid you to take it!!!

Whenever you can find out what the biggest memory card is that's compatible w your new cam. They're insanely cheap nowadays. How many minutes of video do you have available right now?

Reactions: Dmac

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
you may want to get a crossover cam, like a canon s110, or a used s5 or something. I keep one of those with me when i ride, and they work well, and are fairly cheap. Pawnshops are a gret place to pick one up.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure how long of .........(hang on, let me look in the instruction manual)..........

256MB MMC memory. (Does this ring-a-bell)???
It does say also that I will have roughly 30 frames per second and 15 FPS too. (I guess depending on whatchah got 'her set at/on eh)???
As far as software,......Samsung Master, Adobe Reader......whatever that is???

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeppers. I took quite a few practice photos and the camera actually makes these funky ass sounds like the almost funny artificial clicking of the shutter! lol!
I believe you probably can turn this artificial noise option off.
I'm now not sure how to download motion pictures onto the computer.
(With what memory I have on the 1GB card, I bet I can't film for long though). Any remarks as how I download motion pictures onto my PC???

dirtyfacedan

Reaction score
What kind of Camera (brand) is it?

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
cannon powershot all the way. get a memory card with it though. but so far mine hasnt broken(wich is a fucking miracle) and the battery last quite a while. ooo and it and its charger is really lightweight and compact. and the picture gets damn close to a 33mm.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yep, I have a 1GB card that came with it.
cannon powershot all the way. get a memory card with it though. but so far mine hasnt broken(wich is a fucking miracle) and the battery last quite a while. ooo and it and its charger is really lightweight and compact. and the picture gets damn close to a 33mm.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ya, i swear by my canon powershot a640! takes amazing video too!

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I keep hearing a lot about these Canon "Powershots", they really must be a great camera then!
Have you ever heard of the one I now have? Samsung BL 1050..for $62.00 even....(I'm just wondering if I got a really good deal on it or not)?
ya, i swear by my canon powershot a640! takes amazing video too!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
well, im not very familiar with that model, but 10 megapixels is a great deal for 62 bucks. the cheapest canon powershot a640 i can find is 250 dollars.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Shoestring, or anyone,
If you want a huge 8GB or 4GB memory card for cheap, send me a PM to let me know what kind your camera uses: SDHC/SD, microSD, CompactFlash, xD, Sony Memory Stick, etc.

Shoestring

Professional Hobo
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How do you tell what type memory-card your camera takes???
I have a owners manual, but it's in every language on earth but English!!! lol! (It does not say on the camera,... I don't think).
"I would love another card, by the way"! Once I figure out what type it takes, I'll PM you.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
How do you tell what type memory-card your camera takes???
I have a owners manual, but it's in every language on earth but English!!! lol! (It does not say on the camera,... I don't think).
"I would love another card, by the way"! Once I figure out what type it takes, I'll PM you.

Quickest way is just to take the thing with you into a store that sells memory cards. Some of em take regular SD cards and some take mini's but the folks in the store can look at the camera and tell ya real quick which one you need. They have gotten so much cheaper, I just bought a 2GB on sale at walgreens for 14.99 for my portable GPS.

614 crust

Ex-Moderator / Elitist asshole
Reaction score
Website
feralkidscreations.com
well, im not very familiar with that model, but 10 megapixels is a great deal for 62 bucks. the cheapest canon powershot a640 i can find is 250 dollars.

You can get pretty decent powershots now like 12 megapixels for around $130 to $160 like this one for $150 that is 14.1 megapixel and can shoot in 720p HD
Canon SD1400BK / 4180B001 / 4180B001 / PowerShot SD1400 IS Powershot, 14.1 Megapixel, 4 x Optical Zoom, Digital Camera (Black) | Wholesale Connection

or this one for $130 that is 12.1 megapixels Silver Canon PowerShot 12.1MP Digital Camera - Walmart.com

Mine is a bit more expensive like between $250 to $300 but I only paid $50 for it from a friend who worked at a warehouse and I love it. mine is 12.1 Megapixel resolution with a 28mm wide-angle 4x Optical Zoom lens with Optical Image Stabilizer. and shoots in 720p hd at 30 fps has hdmi outputs and has like tons of other shit it can do.
I have a Canon PowerShot SD960 IS Digital Elph. Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : PowerShot SD960 IS

I would say that for a good small compact point and shoot digital a Canon powershot is definately the way to go. I've had mine for a year now and I would definately swear by it. You can see a lot of pics I have taken with it in my photography album here 614 crust's Album: Photography

bicycle

Reaction score
megapixles doesnt say shit in compact cameras, it only is important if you shoot SLR and want to make big enlargements/prints. You dont need anything more as 6mp. Just a consumer trick, nothing more.
The only compact camera worth buying is one with manual shutter time, some like a kodak i owned could hold the shutter for 8seconds open, this on a small tripod could produce decent night photos, like the photo I use as my avatar for example. A fun function to look for is the abbility to make panorama photos, it can stitch 2 or 3 photos to a panorama, and they look often awesome!

M

Mouse

cloud is right.. all these 12+ megapix point and shoot cameras are so over the top. you'll never need images that size and if you can save money by getting a 8mgpx you'll be fine.... plus, that'll make a 1 gb memory card a whole lot more worthwhile so you wont have to upgrade right away.

my Canon Rebel D-SLR takes compact flash cards, they are the (physically) bigger of all the cards, and I can get an 8gb card for like 20$ on amazon.com. If you're not sure what kinda card you have it most likely says so right on the card itself.

get a camera with manual settings!!! you'll never learn how to take actual GOOD photos if you let the computer do all the work. I like to refer to the "P" setting on my Canon as the "Probably only knows how to use 5% of the cameras features" setting and only use if when I let someone who wants to just play with the camera take a few snap shots.

macro features are nice too.

I'm going to upgrade my D SLR soon. I think I might get a Pentax because they are just as good as canon or nikon without the huge expense. same camera, same ranking in most reviews, about 500$ cheaper.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads