Carhartt overalls>>>Cute dress (2 Viewers)

mkirby

Pilgrim
Website
meredithkirby.com
I loved my carhartt overalls because of their durability and million pockets, but hated the fact that being female I had to unbuckle everything in order to pee. Also the fact that I was basically swimming in them, especially my skinny little legs, and that they were heavy as hell, bothered me.

So I cut off the legs at about the knee, opened the inseam, and restiched them into a dress. It is the greatest accomplishment of my diy career. Never before has an article of clothing been so practical, and yet so comfortable.

GIRLS!

Turn your overalls into dresses!!!!

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Your not the first and fortunately won't be the last to discover this wonderful invention that can be made with a pair of carhartt overalls. I've seen other versions where folks have turned these into jumpers or various forms of dresses. Definitely take some pictures and put em up on here!

finn

Playground Monitor
So what are you doing with the cut-off leggings? If you made them into leggings, you'd be coordinated!

ray beez

Lurker
carharts are hard to sew through, but sounds neat. i happen to love the dickies utility dresses. i have one of the older kinds, that zips, the fabric is good quality and i sewed lotsa pockets on em, then wear leggings with them

Rise 609

Those look great. I made a pair for an old girlfriend of mine a few years back. They are definitely very practical for the summer months.

OP
mkirby

mkirby

Pilgrim
Website
meredithkirby.com
Indeed. It's pretty loose fitting too, so I can layer lots of crap under them in winter and still have access to the pockets.

OP
mkirby

mkirby

Pilgrim
Website
meredithkirby.com
ended up shortening this and adding some patches. I'm thinking about taking the extra material and sewing on extra pockets, too.

HillBilly

Lurker
A friend of mine gave me one of those, but its more like a carhart mini skirt. Its super awesome for summer

sprout

Rambler
Right on. I rock a Carhartt jumper as well. Had to do a lot of modifications to it to get it to fit me well. The only pair of Carhartt bibs that actually fit me are the kids bibs.

M

Mouse

I deleted myself
my mom gave me a pair of carharts that fit but are too short (I'm 5'9'' and shes 5'4'') a dress sounds like a great idea.

she'll probably kill me for doing it though. lol "why did you ruin them!!"

Hollywood

Website
www.flickr.com
my boyfriend gave me his old ones and i did the same thing! mine are black though. i am keeping the legs for patching jobs. i also made a little hip bag out of them too.