Bus from San Fran to Santa Cruz

N

NickCofphee

I originally posted this asking for help. Then I just looked it up online and got the info. So:

From anywhere in the bay, take the BART to Fremont. It's just over $5 from DT San Francisco.

From the Fremont BART station, take the 181 bus to the San Jose Diridon transit center. This is $1.75.

From here, take the highway 17 bus (might be called the 970 bus?) to downtown Santa Cruz. This is $4.

Total cost: a little over ten dollars, depending on where you get on the BART at, or pay at all.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Looks like $4 or $5.75 to me - enticing.
Do you know from any experience if its worth hitching instead?
Y'know, is there a decent spot to wait and that fair NW attitude toward picking up, or is it just a waste of time before you end up doing the BART & buses anyway?

I

IBRRHOBO

Take the bus to Half Moon Bay and thumb the PCH. Never had any issues. You can take a connector down to the beach park (Seal/Black or some shit) and make the Cruz connector, but it's a twice-a-day trip, so the hitch is easier.

compass

Lost
Reaction score
I just did that same route in reverse, except I took the BART to Berkeley instead of SF. Yeah, they called it the Highway 17 bus. I originally tried to hitch the 1, but after standing in Santa Cruz forever, and having homebums and kids tell me it was a shitty place to hitch, I said fuck it and hopped on the bus.

nobo

Reaction score
it's actually really easy to hitch to santa cruz, I used to do it all the time, just figure of al the people going down hwy 1, maybe 70 percent of them are going to Santa Cruz, those odds go up on any given weekend. Ive never waited more than 30 minutes for a ride also. The only problem is that Bart keeps getting more expensive so you have to take it all the way to Daly City which could be like 5 bucks right there!

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Damn, and I just cut my hair and only had a couple days since showering too. I couldn't have looked that bad, maybe the beard? :D I had no problem hitching to Santa Cruz from SLO, and I was right at 1 and River Street, with a stop light and a huge shoulder where people could stop. Must've just been shity luck, or imaptience.

Linda/Ziggy

Reaction score
Hi,

Here's how to get to Santa Cruz from SF - via Pacific Coast Hwy.

I took the BART to Freemont (?) then bus to Pacifica Beach. I slept on the beach 2 night no probs!
Then hitched to Monterey. You can get a regular street bus from Monterey to Big Sur.
Goes through Carmel along the coast - VERY beautiful ride !! Stunning !!!!! Amazing view.

A word of caution!
The last stop /Big Sur is a nightmare !
So best to get off at the super rural post office (ask the driver).
Also you may get dropped off in some hairy isolated spots - so bring WATER.

There is a Trader Joes near the BART in Fremont.
A super market in Pacifica.

Hitching OUT of Santa Cruz?
Go near the Dennys. Good on/off ramp.

Hope that's helpful
Linda/Ziggy

Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads