blind as bats

J

jack ransom

Ive started to take way more serious care of my glasses and I've been putting them in their case a whole lot more -- circle pits, being intimate, sleeping etc. especially during travel. I mostly fuck up my frames by stepping on them. I feel like plastic framed geek chic glasses are pretty susceptible to being damaged (part of why they're typically cheap), despite this, they're the only kind of glasses I've ever worn.

I'd say those bendy wirey super hi tech kind would hold up nicely as would the athletic glasses, but fuck those athletic glasses goggle lookin things. and a little band to keep your specs on your face might be really nice for riding trains/bikes. I've been meaning to get one for awhile.

Maxx

Reaction score
i used to brake mine all the fucking time but i guess i just got a metal case for them and somehow became unconciously responcible with them. (knock on wood)

bikegeek666

Reaction score
the only diy tip i have is that i made cordage and made my own holder for my glasses (you know, the kind so they don't fall off when you look down). but i didn't make enough and i took it off to use it for better stuff. but yeah, cordage.

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh that's gotta be misserable!

I used to wear contacts 24-7 until I got a bad eye infection after a swimming venture and I gave them up out of fear of ruining my eyes.

now I'm back to having geeky black framed glasses. which I don't mind. geek-chic is always good to me. but I still don't like being so blind all the time.

I found this really good place for getting cheap frames, free lenses, and free eye exams. it's called Eyemart Express. http://www.eyemartexpress.com/

the best deal I've ever come across. I dunno what the deals are on contact lenses though.

I also only know of one location but their website probably lists others.

even better deals: zennioptical.com. frames + prescription lenses starting at $8-20, generally nothing higher than $30. i know two people who use them and both recommended them. i just ordered a pair a few days ago because ive gotten a few nasty infections recently.

Reaction score
I had this friend back in the day whose glasses frames were made from some type of flexible material. he would go skateboarding, fall on his face, drop and step on them and they'd never break. I'm sure that doesnt solve the popping-lense problem but that never happend during everythign that I'VE seen with those glasses.

Yeah, I've got that kind. For the most part it's just a false sense of security. Not only do the lenses seem to pop out easier, but they get scratched to hell because you make the mistake of thinking you have super-ninja-glasses.
My advice would be to make sure the lenses you get are the polycarbonate kind (I think they're pretty much standard these days). Anything that can get shot with a .22 at 25 yards and stay in one piece is worth it as far as I'm concerned. They'll still get scratched, but not as easy.Frames can almost always be fixed somehow, the lenses are what you really need to see with.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
even better deals: zennioptical.com. frames + prescription lenses starting at $8-20, generally nothing higher than $30. i know two people who use them and both recommended them. i just ordered a pair a few days ago because ive gotten a few nasty infections recently.

i have those. they work. they're cheap. they're nothing special, but who cares?

my eyes are extra bad, so i had to pay a little extra, i just can't remember how much they were. they were still the cheapest glasses i've ever had.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Some glasses will have the stem screw slowly undo itself and fall off, causing the lens to pop out. There's a quick solution to this, needle and thread (or floss). A standard needle (not the sail stitching type) will go right in and through the screw hole quite a few times with thread. Tie it up tightly with the lens in the frame, and you are good to go.

M

Mouse

holy crap i'm glad i re-checked this post. my boy needs glasses really bad and we're extreamly broke and this is an awesome site. i should get new ones too. thanks!

bikegeek666

Reaction score
Some glasses will have the stem screw slowly undo itself and fall off, causing the lens to pop out. There's a quick solution to this, needle and thread (or floss). A standard needle (not the sail stitching type) will go right in and through the screw hole quite a few times with thread. Tie it up tightly with the lens in the frame, and you are good to go.

or some of those nifty leatherman tools that rei sometimes has for free will have a tiny screwdriver.

Speedy

Reaction score
Does anyone have those glasses that get darker when your outside and then change to normal? I've been thinkin about gettin a pair like this for a while but am still unsure about spending the money or even if its worth it in general. I can barley see in the middle of the day, even wearing a hat.

I

IBRRHOBO

Anyone in the US, citizen or not, can get FREE glasses thru Lenscrafters. They have a program called Gift Of Sight (GOS). Call 'em and they'll tell u whom to get to give u the referral (generally the Lions Club). Just got my pair four days ago! Good Hunting!

Dmac

Reaction score
hey mause, don't do the lasix thing, it is overly expensive, and does not last. besides you look bitchin' with the black rims! sara palin stole them from you didn't she?

sharks77

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Does anyone have those glasses that get darker when your outside and then change to normal? I've been thinkin about gettin a pair like this for a while but am still unsure about spending the money or even if its worth it in general. I can barley see in the middle of the day, even wearing a hat.

i don't wear glasses but i know people who have had those glasses that change, they don't really get that dark when youre outside, and they turn dark even when you're inside a building and the lights are on. if i had glasses i wouldn't go for them.
i know someone else who had the laser surgery done and she said it was the best think she ever did. she got it done years ago and her eyes are still a lot better. she does need glasses to read sometimes but that's it

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com

i used to have glasses like that before i lost them in a dumpster..... but they made my eyes light sensitive & even inside they would be dark so when i wasn't wearing them everything was WAY to bright & the colors of things where always off. it also took along time for them to ajust to the light or when going inside. DON'T get the light sensitive ones!!!!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads