blind as bats

M

Mouse

this one goes out to my fellow travelers with poor vision. glasses break. contacts suck. it generally makes life annoying sometimes.

any tips to deal? fixing glasses is always a pain in the ass. those lil eyeglass repair kits can be a total fucking joke when it comes to a snapped frame or popped lens. any glues I've ever tried never really work long term.

one of these days I'm gonna get that lasik eye surgery but in all honesty it scares the shit outta me.

TBone

Reaction score
I'd love to have lasik done that would be so nice. Right now I'm rocking one very dirty contact which sucks. Night time especially.

M

Mouse

oh that's gotta be misserable!

I used to wear contacts 24-7 until I got a bad eye infection after a swimming venture and I gave them up out of fear of ruining my eyes.

now I'm back to having geeky black framed glasses. which I don't mind. geek-chic is always good to me. but I still don't like being so blind all the time.

I found this really good place for getting cheap frames, free lenses, and free eye exams. it's called Eyemart Express. http://www.eyemartexpress.com/

the best deal I've ever come across. I dunno what the deals are on contact lenses though.

I also only know of one location but their website probably lists others.

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
my uncle got the canadian gov. to PAY for most of his lasik. he used a buddy's address to declare dual citizenship. course he's like a legitimate business-sheep and all... might change things...

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
ok so i dont wear glasses but my girlfiend does and they get broken all the time. The most awesome shit ive found out there is this stuff called PC-7. Its an epoxie. Most any epoxie works good but this shit is a paste and you can work with it for up to an hour. You can use it for just about anything and its virtually unbreakable once it hardens. You can even sand it once its hard. Its like $5 at any home depot or hardware store but easily yoinkable all the same.

TBone

Reaction score
Epoxy rocks for all kinds of shit. I had a blow out on my boot last Saturday the sole was coming off almost halfway down the boot so I went to an auto parts store and got some of the epoxy in the syringe type deal. That shit had my boot back into tip top shape in 5 minutes. I'm keeping the rest of that tube in my pack from here on out.

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
watch out for blow outs. I used to keep the same shit, that epoxie in a syrige type deal and it leaked everywhere in my pack. It didnt mix or anything it was just syrupy and stunk like burning tires for a long time.

skunkpit

Reaction score
man i dont trust lazer surgery of anykind
id rather put non alcohol thc tincture in my eyeballs
which im actually really curious to know if it would sharpen ones vision

cuz my ol'man smokes outdoor bud so he can read without glasses

M

Mouse

a tend to avoid fights in general... but more so because I wear glasses and can't afford to have them messed up. There's been times I was so pissed and wanted to beat the shit outta someone but stopped myself cuz I knew they'd prolly go right for my glasses and I'd be fucked. ruins my ability to stand up for myself, which sucks.

I've heard that if you're planning on having kids, you have to wait til after you're done getting pregos to have lasik because your eyes change w/ all the hormones and such that happen when having babies.

but I will never have any so that doesn't bother me... but just an FYI I guess.

a few years w/o glasses would be amazing.. even if my eyes ended up getting bad again it would so be worth it.

M

Mady

Bats arnt really blind, they just use sonar when they fly a lot because its easier, theyre eyes are still functional. Just a little fyi hahaha

F

friar tuck

But that's so true. Bats are not blind. Everytime you try to poke one in the eye, they blink! Go ahead.... get a bat and try to poke it in the eye. You'll see..... so will the bat.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I don't really see why glasses would hinder your ability to fight as long as you could move quickly without them falling off. They do protect your eyes for one thing, and if they can swipe your glasses off, then they can gouge an eye out, or at least scratch the cornea of someone not wearing glasses. People usually go for something more disabling when they fight, and I personally stopped doing that back in elementary school.

M

Mouse

what's more disabling than making someone be able to barely see what's going on? other than breakign a leg or arm... which I think blinding them would be the first step towards breakign a leg or arm or somethign worse.

ah well.. I've been in fights and my glasses end up smashed in the first 10 seconds and then I'm kinda screwed with not being able to see what I'm swinging at.

and they don't protect your eyes. everyone who doesn't have glasses always says that crap but it's so not true. and it's really not abotu your eyes.. it's abotu the nose piece. if you get hit in the side they smash your nose. if you get hit in the front... they smash your nose double time.

and they tend to slip or fall off fairly easily.

I also get stuff in my eye's more often tham most people cuz glasses aren't goggles. they create like thos wind vortex that sucks thigns right into your eye it seems. it's lame.

Post edited by: Mouse, at: 2007/08/28 09:42

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Ah, I guess in my experience people haven't swiped/hit off my glasses, but I don't need them to fight anyway, and they stay put pretty well. Maybe my style of fighting doesn't allow people to do that easily? I'm not sure. My glasses are pretty good though, light bendy frame with polycarbonate lens, so that's probably not be the case with you.

I know they sell cycling/sports sunglasses with prescription inserts, I've been thinking about getting those, since may of those have replaceable lens (the outer nonprescription part), and they are a little bit like googles, but without the fogging up part.

TBone

Reaction score
It doesnt matter if you have glasses. Throw them off and fight the person is directly in front of you. You do not really have to see that well.

kevin!!!!

Reaction score
i've met a handful of ppl that have had that operation and swear by it.
someday i'm gonna do it but yeah it scares the shit out of me too.
my glasses are always falling apart. if you ever find yourself in philly
there's this antique shop on 6th/bainbridge. it's an old synaogue that has
like old school frames for really cheap. (like 30-35 bucks.)

to put glasses in them a place called 'philadelphia eyeglass labs' in chinatown
for like 50. it sucks but they do it in like 2 hrs or something. i've had to do it a few times when it was an emergency and i was leaving town the same day.

antiquarians delight

Dillinger

Reaction score
I had this friend back in the day whose glasses frames were made from some type of flexible material. he would go skateboarding, fall on his face, drop and step on them and they'd never break. I'm sure that doesnt solve the popping-lense problem but that never happend during everythign that I'VE seen with those glasses.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads