Would Everyone Please Stop {Pretending they Grew up Poor? (rant)

content2roam

Reaction score
No matter what there is always someone that had it worse then you. You dont get any points or respect for trying to one up everyones stories. Life is hard...people struggle...everyone has struggled. Thats what life is. And traveling everyone struggles. So why cant we all just get along and realize some people choose to travel and some are running from bad situations

D

Deleted member 2626

Yep I chose it, it didn't choose me. I got some stuff from my rents for years I'm nineteen and i kinda shied awaynfrom takin shit and handouts

D

dahllia

"Here, you can be a lazy ignorant drunk fuck with no work ethic and still have your own trailer and a cell phone.".

man i cant tell you how many times ive gotten pissed about how fucking lazy some americans are. Portland Oregon is the worst, the fucking dumbass homebum adults AND kids there are so lazy they wonnt even look for work they just demand "house keys not hand cuffs" from the governement.

life is fucking easy for me on the streets traveling and i love it and im out here because i want to be not because i have to be and no one in america HAS to be on the streets theyre just to damn lazy to get off their ass and go do somthing about their misery.

i make so much money everyday no matter where i go (usually)
and if i dont. i never EVER go hungry because theres always at least one person out there willing to buy me food if they dont give change or cash

saying life is "so hard on the streets wahhh" is bullshit. your an idiot if you think that and your lazy.
theres a SHIT TON of money and WAY TO much food in america for that to be true
shiiit i dont know about you others but im a BIG MONEY BUM BITCHES. i ball every day.

D

dahllia

man i cant tell you how many times ive gotten pissed about how fucking lazy some americans are. Portland Oregon is the worst, the fucking dumbass homebum adults AND kids there are so lazy they wonnt even look for work they just demand "house keys not hand cuffs" from the governement.

i wanted to add...
when i said look for work i also wanted to say
look for work or save any kind of money they get and not spend it on alcohol or drugs (if theyre serious about wanting to get a place)

but i havent figured out the edit thing yet

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
very well put sir. i say, fuck it, im alive and what can be better than that?
i chose this for myself and im quite content with where i am.
excellent post.

Nelco

Reaction score
I blame corperations and "government"..which i consider the coperations too...and that i don't give a shit about anything but simple life.

keg

Reaction score
this place is called squat the planet.i live in hawaii there are no trains.but i have been living free and homeless for 20 plus years.can i still sit here in the library and look at this pretty site?

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I think the point of this is that the only people fooled will be the people who want to be fooled, and everyone else will just be annoyed. For instance if I said I grew up in the woods, and didn't have any woods skills, I would look like an ass. And though its not true all of the time, people who grew up poor tend to be able to improvise pretty well, since they had to figure stuff out on their own, or to tough things out, or a combination of the two. Its nice to know if someone will be a help to you before you travel with them, instead of being misled by a wannabe.

I'm not poor anymore, I admit that, but squatting and working full time for a few years does that to you.

content2roam

Reaction score
i make so much money everyday no matter where i go (usually)
and if i dont. i never EVER go hungry because theres always at least one person out there willing to buy me food if they dont give change or cash

If you go hungry then you arent even trying..i believe that. I admit i dont get money everyday but dumpsters are alwasys around..so im never hungry..

allday

Reaction score
texas in the winter, anywhere in the summer
i simply refuse to work till i die for some bullshit paycheck. to hell w that, most of my greatest memories are from trains, tent cities, bridges, vans...you get it. i stumbled upon this lifestyle when i became "homeless"(where i lay my head or pass out is home) walking around with my pack and dont plan on changing it any time soon.

GCM

Reaction score
im glad to see im not alone on this. i chose to cut off my priveleges and handouts which some others say is foolish and ignorant, but i dont give a fuck anymore. the only way i can learn anything is through my own experiences and choices, good or bad, wise or foolish. great post btw

B

beat_tramp

I feel you.But Ive become a bitter classist over the years due to having grown up in a struggling single parent broken home (working class to be cliche and cool sounding about it) and it seeming to be a contributor to me having been feeling the pangs of rejection ever since I was a little kid having grown up in a mostly upper middle class town.Then being the black sheep of an upper middle class (moms side of the - ) family - being rejected by society and your family for being lower class can have quite an effect on a guy like me.But I totally agree with you.I knew deep down I was full of shit when I would piss and moan when people wouldnt cater to my socially parasitic existence.But I still have very little tolerance for people - especially if they portray a rocknroll or counterculture existence - carrying any sort of typical self-centered snootiness that goes along with being privilidged and shallow.

Matt aka Sparks

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
"Don't tell me where you've been, show me where your going."

The same pissed off feeling you get when ya hear people talking about how hard they had it growing up, or how poor they where, or how many food boxes they lived off a month, is the same feeling I get anytime I hear people telling war stories. I mean don't get me wrong I like hearing tales from past adventures and what not, but I am so not impressed hearing about how many drugs you've done, how many crimes you committed, how many times you've been stranded, just how fucking cool you are, or any of that shit. If any of the shit people say is true it will show through their actions and doesn't need to be said in the first place right? Fuck what ya heard, being poor isn't cool. And pretending to be poor is even less cool.

LovelyAcorns

Reaction score
Would everybody please stop with the "I hate when people claim to be X. I mean, I'm X but...". Reminds me of the whole "How many punk points do I get for claiming I don't believe in punk points?" mentality.

You've managed to prove yourself more elite than the elitists. Congratulations.

Reactions: Drizzle

shwillyhaaa

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
life is what you make it man... and youd think that living in this lifestyle meant that you didnt wish to have those things. but as it is, no ones ever fucking happy with what theyve chosen in life

Missy

Reaction score
I come from a well off family and the first 18 years of my life were great, at 18 it was strongly implied that it's time to go make a life. I was never poor till I was on my own, now I have found a nitch of work that allows me to do it for half the year then fuck off and ride trains in the summer with cash in my pocket.

That's the way to go if you ask me and you want to do it long term, 6 month on, 6 month off.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads