Would Everyone Please Stop {Pretending they Grew up Poor? (rant)

E

Earth

Yeah, it's all just a pose.... Man - I set someone up with the perfect situation as far as what they told me they wanted to do (dog rescue, gardening, lDIY lifestyle, odging for travelers) in a wonky enough neighborhood where pretty much anything goes, and within like a month - all bets were off... Funny how its easy to talk the talk, but when it comes time to actually doing it - putting in work - thats when you see someones true colors. I don't know, but from what I've seen, when you are truly down and out - one is greatful for anything good which comes their way. Thats how I know if someone is legit or not - how they respond when when a random act of kindness comes their way. But then again, there are some seriously troubled individuals out there too - who just want nothing out of life....

E

Earth

Then there's this whole flying sign's thing - where it gets harder to tell who's legit from who's just being lazy (and ruining it for those who really could use the handout). I go by if the person seems happy. They get nothing. But a 1000 yard stare - or someone who looks like they have the gun in mouth blues - they might get something out of me. All these wanna be travelers - it's easy to do it when you got no commitments and / or your parents are helping you along. But let me tell you this: those who come from nothing - and are purely about being on the road or the tracks or the gutters. abandoned buildings, etc - be it by choice or no other option - now those foks will always have my respect and support.

Dameon

Reaction score
I like how the people with good attitudes who are smiling at you get nothing, while the homebums sitting there being depressed and depressing apparently are worth something. I smile and wave and sometimes dance a little while I'm flying a sign because there's enough people out there pretending their lives are terrible and giving the "1000 yard stare" because that's what they think will make them money. It's easy to put on a depressed look, and homebums love to do it so they can get lots of cash. I've seen homebums go from practically in tears on the on-ramp to laughing all the way to the liquor store. Maybe you should think more about giving money to the people that are trying to make you feel a little bit happier even though they're doing something depressing. Trust me, it's all pretty much going to booze and drugs anyway; especially if you give it to homebums. It's not like homebums need the money for anything BUT booze; they know where all the feeds are, they're either staying at the mission or have a good campsite. And who has the most opportunity to get a job...a homebum, or a traveler?

E

Earth

Dameon, you are right with everything you say - but on the other hand I'm not going to give cash to someone just flying a sign because they see it as easy money. This past winter, there was a cat walking around with a shovel looking to make some cash by shoveling. If I see him around this up-coming winter, I'll definately pay him to put some work in. I guess maybe thats my problem - I can't get into the something for nothing gig... Yeah, you are right - there is nothing wrong with smiling while looking for a handout. Youre also right about the homebums too, but I still help those cats - and the homless vets out too - anytime I see them. I'll have to rethink everything here - because now you've got me thinking a little differently - and that's a good thing.

Dameon

Reaction score
By all means...put people to work. Anybody that's got two good arms and two good legs and won't work if it's offered to them is obviously not worth giving money to. If I'm holding a sign and somebody offers me cash to do some work for them, I'll jump right in immediately. I'd rather do some work for a twenty dollar bill and feel like I have some self respect than get it handed to me while I'm holding a sign.

Also, remember that the disabled guys standing (or sitting) out there are almost definitely getting a disability check...especially vets. Not to mention free housing, medical benefits, and food stamps. Sometimes, it's the people who look like they need it the least who need it the most. But definitely put 'em to work if they can work.

SmilinSteph

Reaction score
Definitely agree!

Wolf

Reaction score
By all means...put people to work. Anybody that's got two good arms and two good legs and won't work if it's offered to them is obviously not worth giving money to. If I'm holding a sign and somebody offers me cash to do some work for them, I'll jump right in immediately. I'd rather do some work for a twenty dollar bill and feel like I have some self respect than get it handed to me while I'm holding a sign.

Also, remember that the disabled guys standing (or sitting) out there are almost definitely getting a disability check...especially vets. Not to mention free housing, medical benefits, and food stamps. Sometimes, it's the people who look like they need it the least who need it the most. But definitely put 'em to work if they can work.

I fully agree with you on that. More is accomplished that way anyhow and it's better to help someone out with something then just take their money. I do see performing as work as well, they also seem to get less money around my town. There is this guy who always sits around at a save mart and plays music, I have never seen him get any money at all from anyone else. Normally I don't have cash to give him, but at the least I'll watch him play. And if someone gives me a nice conversation and a smile I'm more likely to give them money, and if they just ask for it and I have it to give, I'll give it, but not without introducing myself and getting to know the person a little bit. I can't remember the people who just ask me for cash then walk away, but I will always remember the people who wouldn't ask for anything but compliment me and make conversation. And the homeless lads in Modesto who helped ME out with beer money without asking.

If you have energy and a functioning body, then there is no point in wasting it begging if you can be using it earning and livening the atmosphere. A kind attitude and a smile can change a persons perspective.

headwound

Reaction score
I grew up in an upper middle class family, always had food and for the most part whatever the hell I wanted. I just decided to challenge myself and do something different. I think I've made a good life decision when I started traveling.

E

Earth

man, this is one good thread... thanks for not beating me up too bad, I'm having a bad day in a bad life, and may have come across as a jerk earlier. Everybody is making excellent points here. I guess my problem is with those who consume but give nothing back if that makes and sense (in reference to what I posted earlier)and hell yeah, performing is definately considered work, as is those who are active in the ecology movement - be it river clean-ups (thats my gig) or anything which makes our planet a better place. Much respect to all here........

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
I hate fn yuppies. ya i'm earning my psych degree, after 12-13yrs on the road[off and on]. i have an open mind and a kind heart so i'm not a drone thats been brainwashed to fuck. i understand much besides ignorance. if your taling about being ignorant you should have titled this thread 'ignorant' people'. i hate cops being called because i walked through your neighborhood i didn't fit that yuppie scumbag piece of shits income bracket or demographic. its bad enough cops profile. don't get me wrong, i don't expect them to kick-down, but really? seriosly? honest? nofaken? for real for real? there laws and tax dollers, and influance fucked my life up since i was 10. thats a bunch of shitty stories i'm not going to get into. the system they created and sustain continues aviscious cycle. buy an x-box or change the channel, there ain't no real world out here. call your rich parents to bail you out . i ain't got none. thanx

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Also, remember that the disabled guys standing (or sitting) out there are almost definitely getting a disability check...especially vets. Not to mention free housing, medical benefits, and food stamps. .
This is just not true. If you get SSI then you are immediately cut off of food stamps, at least in CA. And you don't get free housing either. Bums may get cheap government subsidized housing but they will never have more than a few hundred a month to live on after rent is paid. As for whether people spend their money on alcohol, why does that matter? Even though it's really unhealthy, alcohol is sometimes the only thing that keeps someone's brain chemistry stabilized enough to function on a basic level. I used to smoke weed every day to deal with depression and, honestly, I was a lot easier to be around high than when I was sober. I'm not currently using at anywhere near that level, but only because of years of experimenting with finding the right food and supplements in order to wean myself off it. So I'm not going to judge someone who is just trying to survive without being miserable, especially if they're poor and uneducated about holistic health. Most people just tell bums to get on the right psych meds but how is that any better? Those drugs typically cause a lot more cognitive damage than alcohol does, as well as diabetes, high blood pressure and all kind of other problems. Psych drugs also shut off the creative process entirely so forget about it if you're an artist. Veterans, particularly, need something to cope with trauma issues, and so does virtually anyone else who has lived outside with no other options for any length of time. Also, not everyone asking for money spends it on drugs. For the last couple years I was traveling I spent all the money people gave me almost exclusively on either food or basic gear like good shoes or a sleeping bag.

One idea that has been really useful for me in thinking about these issues is that right brained people are, according to numerous studies, more likely to end up in jail, psych wards and homeless shelters. This is because of their having chaotic neural patterns that make it hard for them to function in highly structured environments that emphasize left brain, analytic logic. What's interesting is that right brain dominance is also typically found in artists as well as some risk-taking scientists. So, I think what this indicates is that our society is structured incorrectly, so that huge numbers of right brained people, who account for about 10% of the population, will inevitably end up living in hardship and poverty. Why is it that indigenous cultures never had what people now would think of as "homelessness"? Probably because their communities allowed for enough deviation in cultural standards that creative thinkers could find their niche. What is necessary is finding a way to recreate those cultural niches instead of trying to blame people who are already living in difficult circumstances. The closest I've ever seen to a cultural system that could allow for autonomous, creative thought is permaculture but that's a whole other subject.

venusinpisces

Reaction score
Oh, and another crucial point is that people with right brained dominance also have much higher rates of drug addiction compared to the rest of the population. So many things fell into place when I read about those studies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads