Worst State to Hitch Through? | Page 9 | Squat the Planet

Worst State to Hitch Through?

D

Deleted member 29173

Bad luck with cops for me in Idaho. Had 3 cops, including a sergeant, tell me its 100 percent illegal to hitchhike in the state of Idaho. However, you can walk on the interstate so that's cool!

Central Massachusetts had the most unfriendly people and long waits in my experience. Western Mass might as well be a whole nother state though. One guy told me "Yeah, Western Mass is basically Vermont."

AJBird

Reaction score
You might have more luck near the panhandle but SF is a dead end. people are cold and the streets are scalding hot. cops arent too keen on scruffy looking travelers either as they wouldn't want you scaring off the tourists :/

Reaction score
Arizona. I lived there for a while as a younger teen and I have friends who've had to hitchhike through there. It's ridiculously hot, even sometimes in winter, and people hardly ever pick you up. I've seen a lot of people get stuck for days or weeks at a time.

Though, this was in the Phoenix area, so maybe different cities are better. I wouldn't personally risk it.

julianface

Reaction score
I've had the worst time on the busier roads or trying to get out of big cities. Copenhagen was the worst. The more obscure the road the better cause people feel more personal responsibility to help rather than thinking someone else will help you out

stove

Reaction score
The cops around Albany, NY are the most consistently shitty, but for overall state I'd say Ohio- You can see it in the driver's faces, nobody wants to be there.

Reactions: bote

Tony G

Reaction score
Definitely true! I’ve hiked from Georgia to Maine & from Mexico to Canada twice via the Pacific Crest & Rockies...no State was as difficult as Florida when it came to hitchhiking.

99% of folks don’t even know about the Florida Trail & they think anyone hitch hiking is a tweaker or a criminal. You add in all the transplants and tourists, they will never help you. The only people who would give me hitches, were younger workers who sympathized with my plight & happened to be on the way home from work.
Florida sucks but Tennessee was the worst miles of road with nothing on it and nobody wanted to stop luckily for me i know how to hop trains

Reactions: BrerBear

BillyOtea

Reaction score
I'm genuinely surprised by how much I see Utah in this thread. I regularly hitch through there when weather permits, but most def stay the fuck away from the entire Salt Lake metro area. The bottom 2/3rds of the state are legit. You will get rides from the police though and occasionally there's a somewhat dickhead sheriff, nothing like the douchebags in Ohio though.

AlexKnoch

Reaction score
Website
AlexKnoch.com
My longest wait ever was in Lincoln, Nebraska. I waited for 3 days before I got a ride. Everywhere else has been pretty quick.

In Iowa, I was able to get a few rides from police officers who would bring me to the next town over and get me another ride with those officers. The last officer that gave me a ride also picked up another hitchhiker and she even bought us a hotel room for the night.

Reactions: 00kissmarrykick00
Reaction score
So my experiences in long distance hitching with strangers isnt that long yet (but my how thats rapidly changing). Either or ive been told kansas is one of the hardest places to get through and its almost worth going north to nebraska. Any input advice stories or side effects are welcome. I think this should be a good thread to add to the bunch.

Alabama for sure

wesleywilliam

Reaction score
Iowa ain't too bad as long as you stick to the highways. the interstates in iowa suck but if hitch from a good Exit you can get a ride the whole way across. Iowa is shitty but i don't believe it's the shittiest.
Texas sucks ass to hitch through, but i've only done that once and i was with 2 other guys... it was slow going.
my least favorite state to hitch through would be Alabama

How bad was Alabama? I’m going to start hitch hiking from mobile to Orlando tomorrow. Some one I know here in Nola told me the south is pretty much the worst spot

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads