What's your favorite piece of gear? | Page 12 | Squat the Planet

What's your favorite piece of gear?

Weston

Reaction score
Either my rose stem or my rigs. I wouldnt dream of going anywhere without them. No really my favorite is probobly my bivy sack.

Nice one, but don't forget your incense burner... You know, the one that looks like this: ===O

My favorite piece of gear is the pack I scavenged from the trailer behind Goodwill... But as far as the piece of gear that I try to use the most - cheap glass bowl. Gotta stay medicated.

Reactions: Doc Road

Doc Road

Reaction score
Winter; My jet boil.. I love hot soup,coffee,and tea with my smokes on a long night. Summer; my hammock,sooo good to chill in.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I was hoping this sort of thread already existed so I could revive it!

Quite aside from all the super essential gear, here are the two luxuries I've been loving lately:

IMG_20160914_151649.jpg

This is a whopping 1.5 litre super insulated water bottle. I can fill it with hot water strolling past a gas station, then eight hours later in the woods on a train in a truckbed or wherever, I got hot tea and instant mac and cheese. Makes me so happy.

20160918_130652.jpg

When I was in Mongolia I bought a great big raw greasy fatty smelly ram's skin to sleep on. My horse never forgave me for trying to put it on him... before I left I cut insoles and a butt-flap liner out of it. The insoles were a terible idea and rotted in my boots as soon as my feet started sweating. The butt-flap is a bit ridiculous looking maybe but it's so fucking comfortable.

20160918_130753.jpg

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Renegade

Reaction score
Definitely My P-51 and a warm sleeping bag..

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
1482365555766.jpg

Got a new gadget! This thing is a 5200mAh powerbank and handwarmer... once it is heated up, its just about uncomfortably hot on bare skin. Supposedly gives off heat for 12hr off a full charge. Seems about right, I've been falling asleep with it on and it is still going in the morning.

Thinking it'll probably do a good job of drying boots and socks too.

Sent from my SM-G906L using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

Renegade

Reaction score
View attachment 34632
Got a new gadget! This thing is a 5200mAh powerbank and handwarmer... once it is heated up, its just about uncomfortably hot on bare skin. Supposedly gives off heat for 12hr off a full charge. Seems about right, I've been falling asleep with it on and it is still going in the morning.

Thinking it'll probably do a good job of drying boots and socks too.

Sent from my SM-G906L using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

Thats pretty badass..

Ray Lockwood

Reaction score
2548 NS-329, Hubbards, NS B0J 1T0, Canada
Waterproof but cheap smartphone.
Sony Xperia m4 Aqua
Used to travel without one back in the day when they didn't exist, but now it's indispensable. It's lightened my load so much by replacing my camera, GPS, compass, pens and notebooks, regular books, a watch, video and board games, calculator, maps/timetables/ccg, transit schedules, scanner, music device, movie/tv device, instrument tuner, impromptu flashlight, audio recorder.

It has other functions to make life on the road easier as well such as a language translator, scheduler, news source, a way to purchase tickets or just about anything else, a thermometer/weather station, speedometer, pedometer, research library, bank teller, employment agent, travel guide and planner, accommodations finder, pussy locator, survival guide, and so on.

And if you're really bored you can also make a phone call.

• Useful
Reactions: ironman and Coywolf

Will Wood

Reaction score
OK, what is your one, favorite item, that is really a can't do-without type thing. It doesn't have to be your most practical, although it may be.

Mine happens to be one of my more practical things.
My sleeping bag.

It was an older model, the big green one with the center zipper. It was the one before the MSS came out. Rated for 15 degrees or something. Mos of my traveling was in northern states, and that sucker got used a lot. Had to unzip it a bit in late spring and early fall, but it kept me warm no matter how cold it got out. It is heavy, like 8 pounds for the bag, but I love the thing. I even put away my newer, lighter ones last winter and took it back out to give it a try, and I remember why I love it so much. It's nice and roomy, and oh so comfy.

So what's your favorite?
Great post. I just paid 20 bucks for an old North Face down sleeping bag. I am so happy with it. I froze my butt off last winter. My next cool kit item will be my Hori Hori. I used to have a Spetz Shovel, but gave it to a friend. check this out:

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
shemagh scarf, hands fucking down. All-time favorite. Use it as a skirt, a headwrap when it's cold, a headwrap when it's hot, a pasta strainer, a scarf, a blanket, a pillow, a bag, a pickpocket-deterring pack cover, a shadecloth, sex restraints, a bear-deterring food cache, a potholder, and, eh... that's all I've used it for that I can remember. If I could only travel with one piece of gear it'd be the one.

LeeenPocket

Reaction score
shemagh scarf, hands fucking down. All-time favorite. Use it as a skirt, a headwrap when it's cold, a headwrap when it's hot, a pasta strainer, a scarf, a blanket, a pillow, a bag, a pickpocket-deterring pack cover, a shadecloth, sex restraints, a bear-deterring food cache, a potholder, and, eh... that's all I've used it for that I can remember. If I could only travel with one piece of gear it'd be the one.

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has a few things to say on the subject of towels.
A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitch hiker can have. Partly it has great practical value—you can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble‐sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a mini raft down the slow heavy river Moth; wet it for use in hand‐to‐hand‐combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or to avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mindbogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you—daft as a bush, but very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough."

Reactions: DrewSTNY

dodi

Reaction score
A pillow. Like a mini one that you can tie on top of your gear. Makes a hell of a difference when you're trying to sleep...Well almost everywhere, but that includes against the cold window of a train, in a car, on the floor.... for a reason I can't really explain, it seems to work a lot better than the jumper that you just put under you head, I guess it holds itself better...

Plus earns you sympathy points, a pillow makes you look like a softie I guess, but a softie that sleeps well :)

Reactions: Will Wood

Hobo richard

Reaction score
My waterproof bivy. Shoestring hot mr into these.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads