1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

what political ideology makes most sense to you?

Discussion in 'Politics & Anarchism' started by black, Mar 28, 2017.

?
  1. no

25 vote(s)
    78.1%
  2. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. maybe

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. Drengor

Drengor Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Travel Photographer and Writer
    City:
    Ottawa
    State:
    ON
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +36 / -0
    Maybe what you mean is you have the 'ability' to use your voice, which you do. I love to use my voice, and I love it when others use theirs, sometimes even when I don't like the words they're using if only as a reminder that I'm not the same as them! I expect everyone to want to use their voice when they feel like it, but I'd hope that they'd understand situations in which using their voice will cause them harm. Since one of the only ways to get people to not harm others when they want to speak is to threaten them with the same or worse harm, the State sells us that service for the measly cost of our obedience*.

* There's a lot of fine print to 'obedience'

The dream is a world where nobody needs or wants to hurt people for what they say. A great way to achieve that would be a mutual understanding of your neighbours needs and desires, but the only way you can do your part is to offer what you have, ask for what you want, take what you need, and not harm people who aren't stopping you from doing the first three.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. malaclypse

malaclypse Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Leaving
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +39 / -1
    That's kind of what I'm saying. As I understand it, a right is something of which it would be wrong to deprive people, as opposed to a privilege, which is granted by a supposed authority.

Which for me, means the right to exist peacefully in the way one chooses, and to defend that existence.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hillbilly Castro

Hillbilly Castro Sir Posts a Lot

Achievements:
    Tramp
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +608 / -5
    The question is - what makes a thing "wrong"?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Epic Epic x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. malaclypse

malaclypse Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Leaving
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +39 / -1
    Coercion.

Any nonconsensual act toward another human being (outside of self-defense) is wrong.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Hillbilly Castro

Achievements:
    Tramp
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +608 / -5
    And why is that?

• Epic Epic x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. OP
    black

black Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Internet/Cable/Telephony Tech Support
    City:
    Augusta
    State:
    GA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +74 / -3
    coercion constitutes wrongness because it has the potential to stunt the evolution of the human animal. humans exist to evolve like any other creature, and have evolved to a point where competition is obsolete (it occurs, but due to the nature of homo sapiens it no longer promotes evolution), and cooperation is the linchpin(sp?) of that evolution. every real advancement to date has been a result of our ability to cooperate. coercion and force directly hinder cooperation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OP
    black

black Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    City:
    Augusta
    State:
    GA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +74 / -3
    read some Kropotkin

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. OP
    black

black Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    City:
    Augusta
    State:
    GA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +74 / -3
    funny eh? since you like suggesting reading so much I figured I'd give it a go. but that's just you stroking your ego isn't it?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Hillbilly Castro

Achievements:
    Tramp
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +608 / -5
    I think you fail to understand my position - I've read Kropotkin, nearly all of his work. I once gave myself entirely to the collectivist anarchist position, and spoke like a religious missionary about politics. I now reject his position.
    Use the Socratic method on all of this stuff and you find you cannot find a bottom to these arguments that is not rooted in mere dogmatism and pure belief. Again, why is "evolution" inherently meaningful? You have chosen it to be meaningful, and the fact that you can choose this to mean something means you can as surely choose anything else to mean anything on the question of morality. There is no empirical, concrete basis for moral "truth".
    If you punch me in the throat, it hurts. Maybe I can make that hurt mean what I want it to mean - hatred, kinky sex, saving me from choking, etc - but I cannot change the fact that such a punch hurts.
    If humans fail to "evolve", I am not affected in a bodily sense. If it affects me at all, it is because I have chosen to either prioritize or actively rail against human evolution, and whatever suffering or joy it causes me is of my own creation entirely.

Yet somehow, moralists speak as though "the immoral" would strike the moralist as surely as a punch to the throat would. They are not conscious of the fictive nature of their beliefs - they treat them as natural laws, and these laws eventually control them and deny the bodily experience of self by demanding sacrifice. Whatever use exists in evolution being "our reason for existence" is far, far more abstract than that which is felt in the body of the self. If I am going to speak with certainty, it is going to be about things that are absolute - not abstract.

Also fuck off with the "stroking my ego" quip, man, I'm not trying to be an asshole. We disagree, and I think it's funny you're telling me to read Kropotkin, because I used to be so into him. Like I said, I've totally been on the part of the political journey that you're on. Maybe you've found a home there, but I think the foundation of that home will not be strong if it cannot withstand the arguments of Stirner.

• Like Like x 2
  10. OP
    black

black Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    City:
    Augusta
    State:
    GA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +74 / -3
    that bit about stroking your ego was reactionary. I thought by implying that what I said was funny you were attempting to be demeaning. it just kinda came off that way. if it wasn't your intention, then my bad.

I don't quite have the energy to argue for collectivist thought. whether the arguments would stand up in your point of view is questionable anyway. I myself do not even consciously call myself a collectivist. I simply have beliefs in certain ways of accomplishing growth in the human world.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    black

black Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    City:
    Augusta
    State:
    GA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +74 / -3
    I just don't buy into arguments that are just boiled down into existential questions. sure, theres some scientific validity to questioning "morals" and whether or not the tiny little brain that I have and its many firing synapses maintains some kind of inherent authority on how the world should work, when really I am an ant, tickling the ass of the Earth that Woden so gracefully wanders. but I am grounded in the human world. my society, my people, my gods. and I don't really feel the need to question the existential nature of my moral truth

• Like Like x 1
  12. OP
    black

black Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    City:
    Augusta
    State:
    GA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +74 / -3
    and don't get me wrong! question! question away! inhabit the cosmos and pull apart those who fail to justify their motives. I don't want to imply that I am immune to these questions. I simply don't think its relevant and I, as a simple man, a grunt, a peon, a worker, cannon fodder for leftism, cannot let those questions smudge my "zeal".

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. NutSac

NutSac Previously Tweiknecht

Achievements:
    lifestyle coach
    City:
    Detroit
    State:
    MI
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    Fuck collectivism. Its too much like democracy, which is stupid. Because groups are ALWAYS stupid. You could gather 10,000 of the brightest minds in the universe, and I guarantee you theyll quibble and form cliques and in/out groups. Next thing you know, theres representatives, constitutions, and parliamentary parties. Fuck all that. For instance some teenagers were playing loud, obnoxious music about 50 yards from my window. I shot them with super soaker and paintball gun, and threw eggs at them. But they still hang around, doing noisy skateboard tricks, hooting and hollerin "WEstSiiidde" etc. So, moral of the story is, stay far away from my homestead, less i invite your ass. I dont need to, or want to, discuss anything. Good fences make great neighbors.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. NutSac

Achievements:
    lifestyle coach
    City:
    Detroit
    State:
    MI
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    Why you disagree?

15. NutSac

Achievements:
    lifestyle coach
    City:
    Detroit
    State:
    MI
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    Cooperation, yes. But ONLY on an ad hoc basis. Otherwise things can get complicated and lead to what we have now. i.e., obnoxious things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Hillbilly Castro

Achievements:
    Tramp
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +608 / -5
    Not even trying to be a dick - I respect how consistent you are. I do not think it is anarchistic to render oneself "cannon fodder" for a cause that is only your own by abstraction - too much to Mao's liking for me, I must say - but certainly no one can say you are inconsistent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. OP
    black

black Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    City:
    Augusta
    State:
    GA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +74 / -3
    did you just call me a maoist? excuse me while I jump off a bridge. maybe I need to rethink my life lol

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. OP
    black

black Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    City:
    Augusta
    State:
    GA
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +74 / -3
    yeah the "cannon fodder" thing was more tongue and cheek in my head than it reads.

19. blumerang

blumerang Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    Apprentice Vagabond
    City:
    Lawrence
    State:
    KS
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +3 / -0

It's good to disagree. Thanks for the response guys.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Pilgrim Bonobo

Pilgrim Bonobo Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +70 / -5
    @Hillbilly Castro & @black Of course the only thing you can be certain is the 'I am' and everything else is open to scrutiny but the purpose of all of "this", it seems to me, is to give ourselves and our descendants the best, healthiest and most beautiful life possible and you don't need, and indeed can't have, certainties to go on about it. I agree that one should dismantle all possible "certainties" that actually aren't such but one should not let the absence of such be something that impedes us on this quest. Why? Because it seems like the best thing to do for said beautiful life. And why is said beautiful life desirable? Well, because I said so of course.

• Like Like x 1