what do you cook with? | Page 3 | Squat the Planet

what do you cook with?

stove

Reaction score
wow. good idea. has anyone every tried the fancy fire starting chemicals like you see on survivorman?

Yeah, I've used all manner of things to start a fire. The chemicals work, they work really well. So does the vaseline + lint/cotton balls. The only advantage of stuff like "Firepaste" etc is that it is more compact. I'm going on a 4 month trek, and I dont feel the need to bring anything like that, a lil home-made firestarter (vas + dryer lint, stuffed into a film canister) will do fine, and costs nothing.

Poe Boy

Reaction score
I used Army canteen cups and those little stove stands that nest with them.

I'd dig a narrow hole (kind of a trench more than a round hole), start a fire in it, place the stands straddling the middle of the hole (so the end will still draw air), and place the canteen cups on them. One cooked food, the other for tea.

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
doesn't anyone use sterno any more? it's cheap readily available at grocery and department stores. it'sreusable and disposable. ialso heard stories of homebums drinking it to get drunk. flares are also good. you can cook with them on trains too. also the ones that produce spatter are good for self defense. that sullfer and phosphorus is no fun if your on the recieving end.

Reactions: p4r4d0x

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I heard sterno was once drinkable a very long time ago, but then they switched to the cheaper, poisonous stuff- and many a homebum went blind as a result...

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
I heard sterno was once drinkable a very long time ago, but then they switched to the cheaper, poisonous stuff- and many a homebum went blind as a result...

I always thought that was just an urban legend.

Uncle Stinky

Old Dog--Can't See, Can't Hear, And Right In The D
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Sterno drinkin' was for real, I got the word straight from old alcoholics. The wood alcohol attacks the optic nerve and will make you go blind.

wartomods

Reaction score
permanently?

edit: i researched and i guess so...btw did you know that an andidote for methanol poisoning is ethanol

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
can you put sterno cans out and reuse them if you don't use up all the fuel at once or do you have to burn it all?

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to make the 'Improved Penny Stove':
http://www.instructables.com/id/Pocket-Sized-Camp-Stove-The-Improved-quotPenny-/

==SPECS==
The packed camp stove (when made with the same materials in this instructable) is 4.5" (11.43 cm) in diameter, and 3" (7.62 cm) high.

The stove with all options (cup/hook) weighs 6.5 oz (184.27 grams).

The stove can easily handle up to 5 lbs (2.27 kg). I did not bother testing further as you shouldn't need to cook anything over 5 lbs (2.27 kg). while camping/hiking, and I didn't want to destroy another stove.

Reactions: p4r4d0x

wartomods

Reaction score
I've made a stove from cans, based on bushbuddy models, it burns nicely, nice consistent flame, with just pieces of wood with the gauge of pencils and narrower, but it is a bitch to get started if there is moist. Thats why fuel is so convinient.

bote

Reaction score
my best cooking implements are condiments: can´t overestimate how much better your food tastes when you have a little bottle of soy sauce, garlic chili sauce, or mixed herbs to sprinkle in. Doesn´t take up much space, be sure to use plastic bottles so in don´t break in your bag.

wartomods

Reaction score
here it is the stove i made

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

wartomods

Reaction score
Widerstand said:
Wartomods have you test this and cooked on it yet?

i will post pics of it lighted up,whenever i have time, i've tested boiling water, before, but not in a actual trip

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Check it out:

I made this camp stove using 3 tin cans, 2 pop cans, 2 coat hangers, a penny and a touch of J-B Weld, and cost me only that one cent (which I bummed from my dad for the occasion). It burns any alcohol as fuel. In this video, it's HEET methyl antifreeze, which can be found at most fuel shops. Not bad for a recycling project. The best part, is that it kicks ass and works pretty righteously.

Big thanks to the original creator, Javin007, and his instructions at Pocket Sized Camp Stove (The Improved "Penny Stove")

I'm thinking of doing another one based around a Red Bull can as the actual stove part. It'll be even smaller.

sickofitall

Reaction score
this is close to my set-up. i like the coffee can pot stand, which ive cut a hole in the side of. so it can be used as a wood burning stove by itself.

sleep

Reaction score

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads