What are the big differences between North America and Europe according to you ?

otch0z

Reaction score
Also, has anyone else noticed that the cops, atleast in west and northern, are alot better then over here?

Do you mean that cops in the USA are better than in Europe ?
Cuz I really don't have a lot of experience with cops in the USA or even in North America but at least in France most of them are assholes. They will try and get you mad at them just to feel thery's powerful. That being said, cops in the USA seem to shoot black people on sight so idk where's worst :(

Jackthereaper

Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that... Once again I speak mostly for France but I feel like here, you don't see those people who haven't really moved. They don't really "go out" and rarely interact with strangers, especially if those strangers don't speak french. And I have to say, I don't know a lot of europeans who went to the US ! Most french people go to Québec and bitch about the accent. But the US is not like "THE" destination for frenchies. Australia's way more trendy these days !
Lol they barely speak french in quebec. Its unintelligible

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
Do you mean that cops in the USA are better than in Europe ?
Cuz I really don't have a lot of experience with cops in the USA or even in North America but at least in France most of them are assholes. They will try and get you mad at them just to feel thery's powerful. That being said, cops in the USA seem to shoot black people on sight so idk where's worst :(

i meant coos in northern europe being better, Germany, denmark, norway, sweden, netherlands ect...

Other parts are different, I remember the cops in italy being total assholes for example

otch0z

Reaction score
Lol they barely speak french in quebec. Its unintelligible
My mom's from France and my dad's from Québec. I take it very personally when people say québécois is "not french", or a bastardized version of it. Most of the time you don't even realize you're just another person who thinks the language variation from France is more prestigious because of History and sociology reasons.

It's perfectly intelligible if you speak the language, just like any other language. Chances are, if you're not a native french speaker and you're like a B2 level, if you go in either northern or southern France, you won't understand anything because of the accent... Now, will you say it's because these people "barely speak french" or because you only learned one version of it, which is supposed to be more prestigious from a social point of view ? (and that's just because it comes from Paris, which is the place where the power is in France)

What would you think if myself, as someone who grew up in France, was coming to the USA and kept saying "you guys barely speak english, it's unintelligible" because my reference was posh english accent ?
Of course this is a poor example because then your language is not one that has had to fight to exist, like minority languages as the french variations of North America (looking at you, Cajun french and Acadien), so you don't have the whole "my language may disappear and so may my culture and religion" background.

Sorry if I get a bit defensive on the subject. I have an historic of people making fun of my language and it's... Yeah, it's annoying :/

But guess what, this is NOT a difference between North America and Europe because having linguistic policies according to who has more power is something that happens in the ENTIRE WORLD ! woop woop

Shannon

Reaction score
Biggest difference: language. North America, if you speak English and Spanish, you’re good. Europe, nearly every country has its own language, maybe multiple. If you’re traveling through many countries, you might not learn enough of the languages to frequently breach the social/cultural barrier. In many countries, outside of the larger cities or tourist industry, people are not comfortable with speaking English.

When I travel in Mexico, Guatemala, or other poorer countries that have been dominated by America, people are stoked that I’m trying to speak with them in Spanish or whatever our common tongue is. There can be an assumption of American economic and cultural superiority. In Europe, each country has its own customs, and I’m the dumb American fucking shit up. I have to open myself to being in a place of discomfort.

Also, Europe does not usually have food deserts. You know how in the US you might have to stock up on a few days worth of food at WalMart because your punk house/truck stop/rail yard/route is far from a grocery and sucks to live out of convenience stores and fast food? Yeah, in Europe most places have small shops within easy distance stocking much healthier and tastier food.

Oddy

Reaction score
I think it's really hard to compare Europe and North America, both are such vast places, with a huge variety of cultural differences! Living in England and having been to France, Spain, Portugal and Greece, I can vouch that every country in Europe is different in a social/cultural context. Having travelled a little bit of the PNW as well I'd say there a pretty huge differences between each state and particularly between rural and urban areas.

Having said that, everything in America is HUGE compared to Europe and I have serious road envy, because driving my van on tiny British roads is a pain in the ass!

roughdraft

Reaction score
I think it's really hard to compare Europe and North America, both are such vast places, with a huge variety of cultural differences! Living in England and having been to France, Spain, Portugal and Greece, I can vouch that every country in Europe is different in a social/cultural context. Having travelled a little bit of the PNW as well I'd say there a pretty huge differences between each state and particularly between rural and urban areas.

Having said that, everything in America is HUGE compared to Europe and I have serious road envy, because driving my van on tiny British roads is a pain in the ass!

strongly agree - in both places it is so important to appreciate the diversity of it all

Reactions: Oddy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads