Warranty on one of those little travel laptops...?

hassysmacker

Reaction score
So I'm getting a $350 dollar EEE pc laptop.

Optional is a $150 two year warranty that covers everything from it just breaking, to me dropping it or spilling liquid. Anything that happens in 24mos, and I get a new one.

So theoretically, in 1 year 10 mos, I could just...drop it and get a new one.

I'm thinking about getting one of these warranties as sort of making the laptop travel proof, and also so I can get a brand new one near the warrant expiration.

Who thinks I should the warranty? Who doesnt?

wartomods

Reaction score
but also keep in mind that in two years with 150 bucks you could buy a new eee pc alone

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
So I'm getting a $350 dollar EEE pc laptop.

Optional is a $150 two year warranty that covers everything from it just breaking, to me dropping it or spilling liquid. Anything that happens in 24mos, and I get a new one.

So theoretically, in 1 year 10 mos, I could just...drop it and get a new one.

I'm thinking about getting one of these warranties as sort of making the laptop travel proof, and also so I can get a brand new one near the warrant expiration.

Who thinks I should the warranty? Who doesnt?

And theoretically the business that offers the warranty could be out of business in 22 months when you try to drop your eee pc and get a replacement. Those warranties are usually not worth the money. A $150 warranty on a $350 item that in two years will be worth $50 on Craigslist is not a bargain.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I have to agree with this, when they say a new one, they mean one with the same capabilities as the one that you just dropped- and not only that, it won't be easy getting that "new" laptop I bet. So you'll be spending $500 on a $350 computer that'll be worth a lot less as time goes on. Usually what breaks on that laptop will be the screen, since the drive is solid state, so that's fixable with the right tools, and it shouldn't cost more than $150 for you to do yourself. I've replaced a screen on a mac laptop, and though it's harder than most other laptops, it wasn't very difficult to do as long as you keep track of where all the screws go.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads