Walking shoe recommendations? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Walking shoe recommendations?

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
::angelic::
Don't get me wrong here. I'm not advocating walking barefoot on all terrains and under all circumstances!

When it comes to me, I'm housed at the moment, so I walk in the house, on grass and on normal, not really dirty streets and pavement. And on the streets also I almost always were in cities, not hiking in the woods or alike. And most of the time I had shoes or flip flops with me, even when sometimes they were pretty much fucked.

Obviously there are places you don't want to go shoeless. For example really nasty public toilets (or somewhere else where people pissed), darkly lit squats (you never know what's on the ground), areas where there's a lot of broken glass. And so on.

And there are circumstances when you really need sturdy shoes or boots. Hopping freight, urban exploring, hiking in the wilderness. Then even Keds or Chucks would probably not good enough.

So it depends what you are planning to do. Also a point: how easy would it be to get replacements?

I was never worried about my shoes falling apart. Cause I knew I could get some replacements easily. People donating shoes, food runs, hell ... sometimes I even made a few quid and actually bought some cheap shoes just around the corner.

But on the other hand: imagine you are on a dirt track covered with sharp pebbles miles and miles away from the next town. You have to walk for ages to get to the next main road. In the burning sun. Or in winter, snow on the ground. Then, having inappropriate footwear (or none at all) would be life threatening.

It all depends ...

Given a "I don't know where I will end up" scenario I would choose a pair of lightweight canvas shoes an/or flip flops / sandals for normal wear and some cheap but robust skate shoes. The latter would be in my backpack most of the time, but I would have them just in case. And they are not as heavy and bulky as boots.

I must admit, I'm amused.... I barefoot every location you listed and more - ::angelic:: But I do admit, it's definitely not for everyone. Personal humor - i can always tell the new Door Guys on Bourbon St. - they comment about my bare feet - haha. Anyone who's been on Bourbon awhile is used to seeing me do it...

I bring my lil "keds" with me, incase i want to go inside somewhere - but other than that, I'm pretty much barefoot. Unless I've got a job, I wear shoes to work.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I must admit, I'm amused.... I barefoot every location you listed and more - ::angelic:: But I do admit, it's definitely not for everyone.

Well, then you must be quite "trained" walking barefoot. How long did it take before you could do all that without shoes?

(But perhaps we should discuss that in another thread before it becomes too much off topic. Talking about being barefoot or alike does not really help the OP who is about shoe recommendations. ;) )

D

Deleted member 125

::angelic::

I must admit, I'm amused.... I barefoot every location you listed and more - ::angelic:: But I do admit, it's definitely not for everyone. Personal humor - i can always tell the new Door Guys on Bourbon St. - they comment about my bare feet - haha. Anyone who's been on Bourbon awhile is used to seeing me do it...

I bring my lil "keds" with me, incase i want to go inside somewhere - but other than that, I'm pretty much barefoot. Unless I've got a job, I wear shoes to work.

people who think like you are part of the reason other people get mrsa. put some fucking shoes on.

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
Well, then you must be quite "trained" walking barefoot. How long did it take before you could do all that without shoes?

(But perhaps we should discuss that in another thread before it becomes too much off topic. Talking about being barefoot or alike does not really help the OP who is about shoe recommendations. ;) )

Dunno, OP and I were chatting fingernail nail treatment... & that's not shoes... ::wacky:: ... but you're probably right.
... but, mostly without shoe, since 90? ... But always able to walk the terrain, barefoot alot before 90 too.

troublefunk

Reaction score
You have Decathlon stores in the U.S.? They do a brand QUECHUA and i've a killer pair of boot's..cheap,lightweight,waterproof and sturdy as hell cos like another poster said you never know when you'll need that extra beef(but without the weight)
Spring summer i always use various trail runner type kicks like Moabs etc.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i like keens, they're pricey, but my last pair lasted me three years! that's crazy. super comfy with good tread that lasts a long time.

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
I personally don’t mind if we get entirely off topic and start talking about dolphins or something (dolphins are cool), but if we wanna keep things organized, I found a thread about going barefoot called ‘Hi I'm Jake and I don't wear shoes, ever.’

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
I personally don’t mind if we get entirely off topic and start talking about dolphins or something (dolphins are cool), but if we wanna keep things organized, I found a thread about going barefoot called ‘Hi I'm Jake and I don't wear shoes, ever.’

Dolphins, while cool, seem quite rapey... All sorts of news articles last couple years about dolphins perpetrating sexual assaults... But, I've never met a dolphin so maybe it's just hype...
.... And despite reports of their intelligence, i don't believe i would take shoe recommendations from dolphins, porpoises, or any other marine mammal for that matter.

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
... but, mostly without shoe, since 90? ... But always able to walk the terrain, barefoot alot before 90 too.

That's cool!

Well, as said, at the moment I'm barefoot mostly (or wearing socks, for some reason I still have a lot of them, so I don't care if they get ruined quickly). So I'm training. ;) I think before hitting the road again I will get at least some new flip flops, though. Don't plan to buy shoes, I'm confident that while travelling I will get some for free if I need them.

To get a bit more on topic: when it comes to lightweight shoes (perhaps as a second pair), what about thouse:

toms.png

TOMs, never wore them but people told me they are really lightweight and comfortable. Quite expensive as well, though. I mean for such a simple type of shoe. So I only would get them used (or for free).

Other idea:

esp.png

Wore those often, year round. They can be dirt cheap (like €2 - €5 new), are easy to repair, lightweight and don't take much space in the backpack. Only thing is: as soon as it begins to rain you want to change shoes. Cause the sole will soak the water in and will get really stiff. So they are definitely not water proof.

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
Dolphins, while cool, seem quite rapey... All sorts of news articles last couple years about dolphins perpetrating sexual assaults... But, I've never met a dolphin so maybe it's just hype...
.... And despite reports of their intelligence, i don't believe i would take shoe recommendations from dolphins, porpoises, or any other marine mammal for that matter.

Haha, dolphins got needs, man, don’t judge. And yeah, they don’t know nothin’ bout shoes. Cuz they don’t understand the porpoise. (Aaaa..ha... dumb joke, couldn’t resist)
P.s: I think dolphins get rapey when they spend too much time around humans and not enough time with other dolphins or something.. poor dudes. Idk, maybe that’s what we get for fucking with all the other animals, sometimes they fuck back

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
when it comes to lightweight shoes (perhaps as a second pair), what about thouse:

View attachment 45739

TOMs, never wore them but people told me they are really lightweight and comfortable. Quite expensive as well, though. I mean for such a simple type of shoe. So I only would get them used (or for free).

Other idea:

View attachment 45740

Wore those often, year round. They can be dirt cheap (like €2 - €5 new), are easy to repair, lightweight and don't take much space in the backpack. Only thing is: as soon as it begins to rain you want to change shoes. Cause the sole will soak the water in and will get really stiff. So they are definitely not water proof.

Bringing these as my second pair. They aren’t good walking shoes (that’s what the good quality pair is for), but they are good for the beach/ swimming time, lounging around, slipping on in the middle of the night when I have to pee, playing in warm weather rain, and wearing in public showers to prevent catching athlete’s foot (flip flops could work for others, but I’m with Ezra Fyre, can’t stand having anything between my toes):
ED9D733A-5998-43D6-BA9A-3071054F2928.jpeg

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
Never had athlete's foot, or ingrown toenail, or nail fungus...
Did get an ant bite the other morning... That was annoying for about 3 hrs, but then it was better.

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
Never had athlete's foot, or ingrown toenail, or nail fungus...
Did get an ant bite the other morning... That was annoying for about 3 hrs, but then it was better.

I’m not super concerned about athlete’s foot and stuff, but one time I shared slippers with a stinky foot person and after that my shoes stank kinda bad for a while.. I think the bacteria was contagious and got into my shoes, don’t wanna do that again. Yuck

Last edited:

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
Haha, dolphins got needs, man, don’t judge. And yeah, they don’t know nothin’ bout shoes. Cuz they don’t understand the porpoise. (Aaaa..ha... dumb joke, couldn’t resist)
P.s: I think dolphins get rapey when they spend too much time around humans and not enough time with other dolphins or something.. poor dudes. Idk, maybe that’s what we get for fucking with all the other animals, sometimes they fuck back

Dunno... Sounds like this guy had other dolphins - but i guess they were rejecting him...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BxAB&usg=AOvVaw0NtreNAKpJ9SN2BiHrH7EQ&ampcf=1

.... Perhaps he just needs a good sock buddy....

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
Dunno... Sounds like this guy had other dolphins - but i guess they were rejecting him...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BxAB&usg=AOvVaw0NtreNAKpJ9SN2BiHrH7EQ&ampcf=1

.... Perhaps he just needs a good sock buddy....

Oh dang. That sux, maybe dolphins just get the wrong idea when people are too friendly. I know I’ve been attracted to friends who weren’t interested.. I didn’t start grinding on them though (even though I wanted to). I guess me and dolphins gotta learn to read the signals!

Last edited:

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
I’m not super concerned about athlete’s foot and stuff, but one time I shared slippers with a stinky foot person and after that my shoes stank kinda bad for a while.. I think the bacteria was contagious and got into my shoes, don’t wanna do that again. Yuck

I would be careful about that as well. Once my shoes were really fucked to the point I often lost one while walking. They were falling apart like. A friend of mine was so kind to offer his spare pair of shoes. But I knew how his feet stank, so I declined. Better broken shoes then shoes with bacteria in them.

Never got anything from walking barefoot, though. I also think public showers are dangerous when it comes to that only if you put on socks and shoes right after showering. If you stay barefoot for a while the bacteria would have no chance to proliferate.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
One thing that came to my mind on this topic:

Crocs, but not the brand ones (way too expensive) but fake ones you can get for like 3 quid. Some are without the typical holes as well. Just plastic clogs you would wear for gardening or alike.

I would not recommend them generally for walking. Cause it's cheap plastic/rubber and your feet will sweat and so on.

But if you need some waterproof footwear that is even okay in winter for dirt cheap sometimes ... go for it.

Reactions: Ezra Fyre

Katbearfoot

Reaction score
Website
ello.co
Update: still working on the shoe mission. Discovering that I need a wide toe box. I guess New Balances have a wide toe box and maybe that’s why they worked for me. Thanks again for all the help. I’ll find some dang shoes eventually!

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
Update: still working on the shoe mission.

I would not put tooo much effort in this. ;)

Discovering that I need a wide toe box. I guess New Balances have a wide toe box and maybe that’s why they worked for me.

Just a thought: if the New Balances work for you, why not keeping them or getting a new pair of the same model?

So no surprises.

A few years ago (as I still had pretty much money, ähem) I was looking for shoes for my next trip in winter. Got some mixture of sneaker and hiking shoe for € 60. They seemed to be really comfortable as I tried them on in the shoe shop.

Then, just the days before I was about to depart, I wore them day long to break them in a little bit. And found out ... I can't wear them. In fact, the sole was too soft at the heel. I thought first it would be comfortable but on the contrary. In the evenings my ankles hurt really bad. I was used to wear shoes with quite hard soles (like chucks, vans). And it was too late to get my money back, so I wasted € 60 and went to UK wearing my worn out Vans.

Thanks again for all the help. I’ll find some dang shoes eventually!

If you did, post it here ...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads