Using a Fake Name? | Squat the Planet

Using a Fake Name?

Dameon

Reaction score
I've never really used a fake name before. Presumably, if I don't carry anything with my real name on it, and give the cops a fake one, along with a fake birthdate, they don't have any way to dispute it, do they? So if I'm being, say, ticketed with trespass, and I give them my fake name, is it a relatively safe way to go? It seems like the only way they could prove I'm not who I say I am is to fingerprint me.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
pretty much, yeah, unless you've been fingerprinted before and go to jail, then they'll know... or, if you get arrested and fingerprinted under your fake name, then get arrested later under your real name, they can make the connection there.

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
I dunno... They're gonna expect you to know your (last) city of residence, and age.
Maybe you don't know your SS#, and you never got any state IDs (Driver's License, believeable, but no ID at all, unlikely), and maybe you don't remember the address you had because you moved a bunch and haven't had a stable residence for 3 years (like myself).

So maybe they take you in, to get prints and start some details where there are none? Maybe they think it might be worthwhile. Or maybe not. Depends on circumstances in which you're dealing with the cops, I think.

Do let us know how it goes!

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
shit. when i was "young adventurer" (minor) i used to tell cops my name was Jennifer spathe and that i was born 2/2/89. i even gave them my real SSN. i never really got into real trouble though so they wouldnt go out of their way to proof anything. i would get pulled over for warrent checks, harassment, or so they could ask me where i was sleeping. and even when i got caught walking with a 30 pack i just talked my way out of it. i think it all depends on how much you kiss ass or get along with the cop. if they like you they normally wont question.

I

IBRRHOBO

About five years ago the man ran a fake SSN I gave and told me I was a woman from Lawton, OK. The law says that the SSN can only be used if your name and DOB dosen't cross-reference in NCIC. Who knows. Anywayz, they hauled me in as most states require you to possess a picture ID after 9-11. Couple of good books on 'paper hanging' out there. Good luck.

streetrat

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
...hmm
well my birthcirtificate and ss card got stolen
and i dont have any other id whatsoever...
soo.
well i guess i can be whoever i want

i really need to get my shit though
finding a job with no identification is damn near impossible

menu

Reaction score
in my last interaction with the cops in ukiah,ca my road dog always gave fake names cause he has warrants all up and down the coast but in the end it bit him in the ass. we were getting rousted for flying sign at the wal-mart and when he got to him he gave up a fake name then the cop asked for his social and instead of saying hedidnt know it he gave a fake one and like in theprevious post the SSN came back as some middle aged lady from another state then he had said. so not only did he get arrested for impersonating someone else all his warrants fell on him once he got to jail and was finger printed.

T

Tailz

in my last interaction with the cops in ukiah,ca my road dog always gave fake names cause he has warrants all up and down the coast but in the end it bit him in the ass. we were getting rousted for flying sign at the wal-mart and when he got to him he gave up a fake name then the cop asked for his social and instead of saying hedidnt know it he gave a fake one and like in theprevious post the SSN came back as some middle aged lady from another state then he had said. so not only did he get arrested for impersonating someone else all his warrants fell on him once he got to jail and was finger printed.

damn, thats pretty heavy. i dont give out shit unless i absolutely have to. usually if you dont act intimidated (but still show them respect) they dont harp to much, well my history has been that way. i got pulled over when i had a truck, i had blood on the backseat, bolt cutters, crowbar, kabar marines knife, and shotgun shells all over the place. they let me go, i believe because i acted like it wasnt a big deal, but i was professional with them. and this was in arkansas... redneck country.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
yeah, well i never had any outstanding warrents so id normally use the same ssn but a different name. But what do i know about how pigs run things...

D

dVEC

I know a lotta kids who trade name/DOB/SSN with each other.

"yeah i got warrants in cali and NC but that's it"

"aight cool well i've got shit in montana and jerz"

symbiosis.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
id be down for a trade :p

BrokeWhiteBoy

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Anyone down to trade with me?
I'm currently on trial facing 12 months and 10k in fines.
Trade please?

Guess not.

Anyways, I use my real first name, my mom's last name, and the same birthday. I rarely carry id anyways. The name and birthday match up because for a while it was my "legal" name, but i found my birth certificate and it showed me with my dad's last name... I technically have two identities.

maus

Reaction score
"i lost my ID(it was stolen?) and i dont know my ssn because im a bum"
there are no guarantees but i think this could get a person out of minor shit.
also, fingerprints arent a foolproof means of IDing you.

Dmac

Reaction score
many times i have found, that without an id, police will not reliece you till they feel they know for sure who you are. i have given cops my reaL name adress etc, without having my id on me, only to be held till they print me and know for sure that i am who i say i am, and that i do not hove any outstanding warrents any where. if you have never been printed before, you couold get away with it, but they couold still hold you for a long time.

maus

Reaction score
i think it helps to be able to kinda read the situation, the cop and how they are reacting to you and how much of a dick it seems like they are trying to be. especially if you arent actually in real trouble yet and they are just running your name cause youre hitching or w/e.

Dmac

Reaction score
true, if you haven't done anything, cops do pick up on your nonverbal ques. being respectful, yess sir, no sir certainly never hurts. but if anything has happened in the area be ready for them to hold, harass and make sure of your identity, especially if you are "out of towners". it only takes a few ashole cops to make you look at them all as being potential jerks. and any police have the authority to hold you,if they want, evan if you were not breaking the law, untill your identity is determined. if you think otherwise, you are in for a rude awakening. without a dought.

maus

Reaction score
its true that there are no guarantes in this life. i dont believe ive ever said anything to indicate otherwise.
sometimes tho there are good days, and lazy cops.

Dmac

Reaction score
too true, too true, thank god for lazy cops!

trailboss

Reaction score
Carrying a fake ID may work for a while, but as soon as somebody tries to trace it, you're busted. So, here's a fun question...how hard would it to get new legal ID (preferabaly across the country somewhere) based on having zero paperwork?

For example, I haul my 40 year-old butt into a shelter somewhere (looking all crusty), tell 'em I've been a homebum for years, and that I have zero paperwork as a result (my parents were hippies, survivalists, some bs, etc). Tell 'em that I just need an ID/SS# so I can find a day job, etc, cause I'm tired of spanging and sleeping under a bridge. Is this do-able? Will they fingerprint me or nix the whole deal due to lack of paperwork (even with a good backing story)? I've got no record, other than possibly disappearing in the next few months. If this is remotely possible, where's the best target- "left coast," BFE midwest/downsout, etc?

It seems to me, that if a person had a "new" ID like this, you could travel fairly easily-especially if you clean up a bit and blend in with the crowd.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
it all has to start w/ a birth certificate, some missions etc will help you get a real one if you've lost yours,, it is posssible though not 100% reliable to walk into a small town town clerk's offfice and ask for one of someone who's SS# you know, the risk is large though that the town clerk knows the person or their family, you really need to do your research beforehand very thoroughly, they usuallly will be happy with no ID however as small towns work that way, you need to show up with an exact name, dob, and SS# however, this takes work

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads