Tuscon, AZ | Squat the Planet

Tuscon, AZ

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
This thread is for discussing anything having to do with Tuscon, Arizona. Feel free to ask any questions or post information about this place that you think might help others!

hassysmacker

Reaction score
so i've never been to tucson, and I planned on riding down there to attempt and work the gem and mineral show that goes on there jan 29-feb 13.

i know very little about rocks, and was looking to attempt to obtain cash labor work by getting up early and walking around to vendors as they are setting up each morning, asking if they need help. I don't know if this is a valid approach, its just what I've been led to believe.

does anyone have any experience working the gem show? If so I'd like any insight anyone could give, whether in this thread or via PM.

I'm also interested in any knowledge about any good sleep spots in Tucson, as, again, I've never been there!

Cheers,
Andy

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I've never done this personally, but have talked to many of kids who have. You should be able to go there and just find work by asking, espc. if you get there a bit early.

weegee

Reaction score
Try talking to the kids at the Dry River Collective
(740 N Main, if that's at all helpful)
They're normally open every day (except maybe Fridays. times vary)
open mid day on weekends, and mid afternoon on weekdays

It might take some work, but if you ask around you'll find kids there happy to help

Plus it's right next to the train tracks

I know the gem show is over now, but as a general rule I'd say get there a week early and it shouldn't be too hard to find work.
a lot of the gem show is selling stupid shit anyway, so i doubt you'll need much experience

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Tucson is the single most merciless place I've ever been in terms of homeless survival. There is no grass, no hiding places, and the sun was up 18 hours a day when I was there. I ended up trapped in a shelter until I could make enough money to claw my way out. This was probably exacerbated by the fact that, even now, reading this thread, I don't know what a "wash" is.

With that said, I made that money by selling slushees at a University of Arizona football game. I was at the right place at the right time (the stadium, on friday), and someone asked if I needed work. I'd go ask around there if you're looking for some quick cash - ended up making about $80 in 4 hours.

Lizzzzz

Reaction score
tuscon is cool around campus, pheonix sucks my balls, sedona is beautiful but i tourist trap and for me that ruins it, maybe it won't for you. flagstaff is alright but there's a lot of juggalo's and that weirded me out... i could tell you about a badass camping spot where you'll be with the elk at their watering hole up at the clearing on top of a mountain just outside flagstaff... prescott is also an amazing town, i stayed there at a raw/organic community house.

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenixbound

Reaction score
born and raised in phoenix... if you can stand the heat its a great place... and you CAN hitch hike just not on the highways... im trying to get back out there right now from wyoming

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
Tucson is cool if you have a place to stay - it is hell if you are sleeping out. No shade, no grass, no seclusion, sun is down for less than the number of hours you want to sleep for, etc...

Check out:

El Tiradito - North America's only shrine to a sinner buried in unconsecrated soil. Crazy story behind this one.
Toxic Ranch Records - Punk record store and label
The Meet Rack - This cheap, gnarly bar: http://www.examiner.com/dive-bars-in-tucson/the-meet-rack-tucson-s-strangest-dive-bar
The weirdass sculpture garden at 1402 E. Water St.

You can also work the football games selling slushees (known as Eegee's). I made about 20 bucks an hour, for 4 hours.

• Useful
Reactions: Jone

plagueship

Reaction score
there are tons of places to squat in tucson. you really don't want to go to the southern, low lying desert type parts of az right now though (tucson, phoenix etc) unless you enjoy 100+F temps 24 hours a day. flagstaff and northern/highland arizona in general are really beautiful. lot of nice places to camp.

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
Plagueship might be right - I stayed in South Tucson, where the cholos made it clear that breaking into houses on the block was an unwelcome gesture. I didn't really try to squat anywhere.

He's wrong about the temperature, though - It's only 110 during the day, when you have to walk a couple miles to get anywhere. When you need to sleep, it switches it up and gets too cold to sit still.

Laa Chase

Reaction score
So does anyone have any knowledge on where to stay/squat in Tuscon?

I have every other weekend off and need to find a free (or close to free) place to stay. Its three days off at a time for the next 3 months and as my funds are already bone dry, I would greatly appreciate any input.

I'd like to stay close to the city because of lack of transportation (just more funds to spend) and also good work trade in the area I can do on the days off. I already scoped out the bridges (all dried up and even spacious) but since I'm young and white and female and get harassed enough even in the daylight, I've avoided public sites and I'm trying to find more private and unnoticed areas to crash on.

I do have means of getting by right now, including some people I've met and their backyard and even 24 hour diners, but if anyone has any insight into other choices around Tucson, I like to know my options. Thanks.

treatment

Reaction score
i'm in tucson for a while, but currently staying with my girlfriend's parents (lol)
barrio anita had a squat a few kids stayed in for a while, right next to the tracks, but i was never there, and don't know if it's still around. also fourth ave south of 22nd street has some abandoned places but i haven't checked them out to squat.

where in tucson are you? there's a show on tuesday that should be pretty cool it's at dry river

squattersrights

Reaction score
i have been looking to squat in tucson as well and have tried stopping by there a few times since i have been in town. seems like a sweet space, but rarely and/or inconsistently open. not sure if they are just under-staffed, busy with occupy tucson, or both, but oh well. i will probably try asking the occupy folks next, actually, and/or try starting my own.

gypsyjon

Reaction score
One of the coolest towns is Az is Bisbee!!!!!!!!! its east of tucson about 100 miles near the border old copper ming town, real artisy hippy town real eccentric !!!!!nestled in the foothils!!!! trust me very cool town lots of people dont know about check it out you will like!!!!!!!!! say hi to moondragon if you see him.

NM Black Cross Medic

Reaction score
Tuscon has a lot of good people. I met a few in phoenix who talked about squats in Tuscon. Occupy Tuscon is pretty loaded with anarchists, many of whom live in squats. Look them up, and tell them the crazy blond medic from Albuquerque says hi.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads