Travelers in the Wrong; My rant on selfish arrogant dirty kids | Page 4 | Squat the Planet

Travelers in the Wrong; My rant on selfish arrogant dirty kids

Art101

Reaction score
Some awesome points on here and well said Ravie. When I hit the streets it wasn't "cool" to be homeless or ride rail.
Now it seems to be a jackass while spanging or riding is the norm. When I travel I ride alone, I get day labor through some agency and when Im ready I head out again. I prefer to stay under the radar and I love the feeling of cashing a bunch of checks I have worked for. That said its a dif. time then it was 25 plus years ago. So take it for what it is...my opinion and like assholes everyone has one. :p

Reactions: Mankini

Art101

Reaction score
Oh ya and Kabar is awesome used to communicate with him some on another forum that is now gone apparently.

Corinne

Reaction score
Website
www.incoherentmindz.tumblr.com
why can't dirty kids take a shower every once in while? it seems every time i pick up a road dog, i end up having to thoroughly clean the stench and flies out of my van afterwards. they won't bathe unless i drive them to the truck stop and stick the shower ticket in their hand. they won't change their clothes unless i do their laundry and give them some of my own clean clothes to wear! i love the company but damn these arrogant selfish people need to bathe! /endrant

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini and Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Haha... I sympathize... and also dub you a saint and all around awesome person for still picking up dirty kids. :)

The sympathize part being that I have not done my shirt laundry in a couple weeks and these work shirts have been on for a week or so... kinda ripe... but its cold out so the smell doesn't travel so bad... oh and no flies.

• Haha

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
::polite applause::
Well done.

Durp

Reaction score
I'm a former political activist (too jaded these days) and not much gets to me, but arrogant jerks that bitch and moan about the system while not contributing anything while throwing everything they got into big tobacco and alcohol (some of the nastiest of the multi national coroprations btw) piss me off. I have helped to make small changes and have hopefully made this world a slightly brighter place by DOING something about the things that I disagree about. I used to help kids out give them rides etc, but fat chance these days unless we make a genuine human connecrion. I've been perpetually on the road and houseless for 4 years and counting, met some good folks, but the shit heads are in greater numbers. I now have a policy of not helping you unless I know somone who can vouch for you, unless my gut says you are ok. If its wrong, and you turn out to be a direspectful prick expect to get ditched soon as convenient. Also if you smell nasty I don't want to be around you. I'm not the most cleanly of folk, but damn when flies are circling its time to clean up a bit. Plus a nice shower feels amazing after weeks of not cleaning up. Coco powder and baking soda make a great cheap dry shampoo.... just saying. Its a shame becuse I find my self looking for choking victim, left over crack, crass, witch hunt patches. Its toattly fucked because I enjoy those bands but from my personal experience folks rocking those patches these days have had little to no respect for me.

cultofsam

the messiah.
Reaction score
Website
thecultofsam.tumblr.com
I'm 20 years old and have been on my own for about five years, give or take. I've been all over the world and even if you tell me no, I still say thank you, because a lot of people won't even listen to you. You guys say its kids, but its about learning respect. I've seen ungrateful vagabonds, hobos, tramps, w/e twice my age that are complete cock suckers. My mom is a "yuppie" and she is the nicest person ever, to anyone. She will help anyone that needs it and my dad is a total tramp, and he's the biggest dick. Assholes come from all different ages, sexes, races, religions and stereotypes. They have been around forever, they are just being assholes about different things now.

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
We all have our place on this mudball. Except homebums. Fuck those guys.

Just kidding. Some people hate 'em but I know this much: They know directions & know where to point you to a feed in times of need. Our personalities don't match, but we get along as much as we need to.

When it comes to you and the rest of the world (and I didn't fully grasp this until recently, hell maybe I still don't) a lack of tolerance for other personalities shows a significant lack in character. It makes you look like an uncultured fuckwad. Those who go out of their way to create conflict between them and another group of people show a dedication to willful ignorance.

Now I'm not saying go help Doobie Dave push his cart across the street every chance you get, but it doesn't hurt to keep in mind there's a silver lining with almost every interaction. You may not realize it now, but a year from now it might click when you least expect it. I've learned something useful from people that literally looked like they hadn't evolved along with the rest of us.

You really never know.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Nomad Missionary & Tree Hugging Jesus Freak
Reaction score
Damn, you're saying so much of what I was trying to say, but I just have trouble communicating normally; damned brain

Bravo, bravo, bravo!!!

I too, have seen far too much of this entitled attitude and it makes me, sick!

The food bank point really hit home, because I rely on food banks for food.

I've seen people say, "this is all shit!" and throw it back at the volunteers.

So, go hungry. I can promise you...when I'm enjoying eating, your selfishness and inconsideration won't even cross my mind.

I've also seen people want to "trade" with the workers.

"Well, I don't eat peanut butter. Can I get something else?"

No, you miserable, ungrateful piece of shit, you can take what you get and be damned glad to have it!

If I get things I can't use, the first thing I do, is put the word out that I have free food and anyone hungry, is welcome to it.

I've never had a problem "rehoming" food.

This rant should be required reading for all the up-and-coming punks, who think the world owes them.

I can't say, "BRAVO" (yes, yelling it loud!) enough.

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
Very true. I can understand food allergies though. I've seen first hand someone denied being given something besides what they were allergic to because it would fuck up inventory and scheduling for meals supposedly. I think that's really fucked because that's clearly an exaggeration and anyone who cares about feeding those in a tight spot would show some sympathy.

There was one instance where my wife and I dropped in to Our Daily Bread in Orlando not long ago for a meal and the woman tells me literally "You're 5 minutes late
First come first serve we're out of food." I didn't believe it to begin with and my suspicions were confirmed when I went around the building and looked through the front entrance to see the same lady handing off one of those packaged sushi meals to some guy. Then I noticed this and maybe im crazy: We were the only white people there besides a couple others who obviously had been super early. I've never felt like that before in my life and as a kid in Memphis I was one of two white kids in my entire school. I've never had a notion of racism against me like that. And yeah the guy behind me was an old black dude. Also I stay pretty clean on the road and do my best not to smell like a toilet, so perhaps that made a difference as well.

Idk I'd never felt so belittled and just really hurt. Especially since this was a Christian organization. Maybe this is a touchy subject, but I was raised in the south for a good part of my childhood and saw bigotry so much that I was disgusted. Due to this I wanted to make sure that I never became one of those ignorant, prejudiced hicks. I could've taken it the wrong way, but once again I've been a minority believe it or not and never did my peers make me feel like something less due to a genetic draw of the cards. I'll stop whining about it now, but to be denied food because of that gave me the worst feelings of being a substandard human.

Anyhow, aside from those two instances I've had pretty good experiences with feeds and banks and those with that entitled attitude, I have absolutely no sympathy for if they go hungry.

Last edited:
  • Sad

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
Very true. I can understand food allergies though. I've seen first hand someone denied being given something besides what they were allergic to because it would fuck up inventory and scheduling for meals supposedly. I think that's really fucked because that's clearly an exaggeration and anyone who cares about feeding those in a tight spot would show some sympathy.

There was one instance where my wife and I dropped in to Our Daily Bread in Orlando not long ago for a meal and the woman tells me literally "You're 5 minutes late
First come first serve we're out of food." I didn't believe it to begin with and my suspicions were confirmed when I went around the building and looked through the front entrance to see the same lady handing off one of those packaged sushi meals to some guy. Then I noticed this and maybe im crazy: We were the only white people there besides a couple others who obviously had been super early. I've never felt like that before in my life and as a kid in Memphis I was one of two white kids in my entire school. I've never had a notion of racism against me like that. And yeah the guy behind me was an old black dude. Also I stay pretty clean on the road and do my best not to smell like a toilet, so perhaps that made a difference as well.

Idk I'd never felt so belittled and just really hurt. Especially since this was a Christian organization. Maybe this is a touchy subject, but I was raised in the south for a good part of my childhood and saw bigotry so much that I was disgusted. Due to this I wanted to make sure that I never became one of those ignorant, prejudiced hicks. I could've taken it the wrong way, but once again I've been a minority believe it or not and never did my peers make me feel like something less due to a genetic draw of the cards. I'll stop whining about it now, but to be denied food because of that gave me the worst feelings of being a substandard human.

Anyhow, aside from those two instances I've had pretty good experiences with feeds and banks and those with that entitled attitude, I have absolutely no sympathy for if they go hungry.

I can understand food allergies (I have them and my mother has them so badly, she's nearly died, twice) but this instance was just, this guy being picky.

Sad about your experience with being five minutes late and being denied a meal. That's bullshit.

In five minutes, I don't care how many people they had, they could have given you some bread or a roll...something.

Better than turning away two hungry people.

But, I've found, in my many years of studying people, that many (not all, but a few) "volunteer" not to help, but to get brownie points and look good, to others.

"I volunteer at a food bank, feeding the hungry."

"Oh, bless you, you wonderful human being. The world needs more people like you."

Um...no, the world, doesn't.

I had a similar experience at a free clinic. I am in the early stages of dementia and sometimes, I just don't "get" stuff and I was struggling with the paperwork, on the site.

I called, got some nasty bitch on the phone, and politely asked if I could come in and pick up the paperwork and if she could give me better directions because I was a little confused.

You'd have thought I demanded her wallet.

After some nasty exchanges, she said to me, "For someone who needs help, you're certainly ungrateful," (which was code speak for, you're a worthless piece of the unwashed masses and therefore I should be able to treat you like the freeloader you are,) so my response was, "and for someone who claims they want to help people, you're certainly not being very helpful."

Must have struck a nerve. She put me on hold and I hung up.

I guess this is par for the course, but I am compiling a list for my website of places that act like asses, instead of helping.

The place I'm speaking of was first on the list.

Glad to hear that your bad experiences haven't outweighed your good experiences.

• Sad

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
You're right and I see this type of behavior often. A lot of volunteers are putting in hours because they're getting SOMETHING in exchange for their time. That's not volunteering just because no financial compensation is directly involved. There is a lot to be said about "merciful deeds" and the apparent falsehood in those who peacock their so-called contributions to the charity of religious groups helping those in need.

Wow! Just because you wanted to collect information in person? I suppose she was offended at the rift in communication and took it personally lol. So touchy!

And yeah throw Our Daily Bread in Orlando on that list if you want since their feed is based on favoritism.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
Will do about Our Daily Bread.

How disappointing. I'm from the Orlando area and hoped that in the 21 years I've been gone, things would have improved.

But disappointment aside...if I said I was surprised at their behavior, I'd be lying.

Sigh...

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
I think Orlando has unfortunately gone a little downhill in the past several years. They have some crazy ordinances that make it a bitch for travelers to make moves. Really strict on spanging - they have these blue boxes set up called "free speech zones" in terrible areas of town where you're in the beating sun. These are the only places you're permitted to do any kind of panhandling. It's some kind of sick joke. Crack spanging outside gas stations is nearly impossible because the workers always have their eye out for ya and you'll be lucky to make it more than 5 minutes before getting the boot. Hitching out sucked too, the ramp has nowhere really for ppl to pull off going north on I-4. Plus the locals probably think you're another crazy homebum so that doesn't help. Ended up walking to Ivanhoe where I had spotted a nice ramp on the map and got a ride in 20 mins from an excitable, wine-selling surfer brah.

Andrea Van Scoyoc

Reaction score
Sad...

At least where I am now, isn't bad. There's a lot of wanderers here, vagabonds, gypsies...so if the cops tried too hard to stop all the panhandlers, etc, they'd be doing nothing but.

I do my part to help (I'm currently helping a homeless lady with a cat) and offer a place for free spirits to catch a rest under a huge cedar tree in my front yard.

For the sake of the neighbors (to avoid hassle) I have set the area up as a free, public meditation garden. That way, people can rest for a while and if anyone says anything, they can say they're meditating in the public garden.

I haven't ever come out to anyone sleeping out there, yet, but figure one day I might.

I also feed people and provide free soap, etc for those in need.

Anyway...I digress...hasseling the homeless here, has become taboo. As long as you're not cooking meth or doing something dangerous (there was a beautiful forest down the street from me that was a homeless camp...until it became a drug area, a meth lab that exploded and the woods burned down. Now it's on the cop's radar and they routinely patrol) many places here, will let you catch your breath.

The Circle K where the lady I'm helping stays even let's her use their phone when she needs because she has no cell phone and no money for a pay phone.

Sadly...the problem here, are other homeless, who rob and attack others.

I wish people would live and let live. No robbing, no beating each other up...makes me so sad, because the misfit vagabond world is big enough for us all.

Reactions: Anagor

Trvshwvng

Reaction score
Which brings us back to the original topic so we don't get reprimanded for an impromptu thread hijacking hahaha. It's still beyond me why some travelers feel the need to do that as well. We all get in a bind sometimes who doesn't? In a world where people are usually ready to give us everything we need I can't get why some feel the impulse to take. Especially from those in a similar position.

Primitive

Reaction score
The system is awesome, it gives you stuff. Never hate the rich/yuppies. Gentrification isnt the reason cities go to shit, its ungreatful dirty kids. Oh yeah and yuppies are awesome, up the system!!!

• Haha

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads