T-Shirt Art

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody knows if spraypaint stenciling a t-shirt is fine or not. Doing a thick layer would stay, but might be crusty (literally). And a light spray of black would be fine, but perhaps wash out?

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
well spraypainting a shirt would more or less stain it than coat it. I used ta work at a paint place a few years back and still have paint on a shirt that I wore ta work, wear it on a regular basis. its easier to stain it if its 100% cotton i believe, but i could be wrong
capt. ahab

Rash L

Reaction score
Was wondering if anybody knows if spraypaint stenciling a t-shirt is fine or not. Doing a thick layer would stay, but might be crusty (literally). And a light spray of black would be fine, but perhaps wash out?

doesnt wash out, but does fade a little bit. I've been doing this for years, and still have quite a few patches and a couple shirts I made this way. Smells like paint for awhile, but eventually that goes away.

Street_Siren

Reaction score
It'd do the job, but there's spray paint made specifically for fabric which you could try out too. You could probably pick it up at most craft stores I'de assume.

christa

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Depends on the spray paint your using. You can look at the instructions on the can and it should say wether or not you can use it on fabric. I used spray paint for my band t-shirts. also an old punk fasion spraying logos on shirts and jackets

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Did white spraypaint on green canvas patches instead of directly on clothing. Worked great, is a bit crispy, but doesn't wash out and is very clear. Definitely one of several great ways to get your design work done. Thanks for the creative input from you guys too!

Zorila

Reaction score
Website
squattheplanet.com
boiling your white t-shirt together with a lot of green walnut leves will colour it, the colour is an army like greenish brown, it looks great but if you're not experienced with dying fabrics it will come out spotted. i herd that there are other plants that give other colours but i don't know much about them.
If you want to do it the easy way you can allways tie die it, it's simple and looks good, plus there are lots and lots of ways to tie your shirt for dying so you have where to choose from
i guess this is not useful if you're an anti hippie anarchist or if you fucking hate the army, but it will help if you need to blend in with the bushes

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
spray painting shirts definitely works. the last band i was in we just spray painted stencils onto plain white tees and they all came out fine. it does fade a little after several washes, but that's it. it also is a little stiffer until you where it a lot.

as for dying/staining fabrics, i think tobacco works the best. taking the leaves and placing them under the fabric (cotton works best... tee shirt thin), iron it with the tobacco under it and voilà! you have green. i think that's how they originally made camo.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads