yep. i got housed up too :) but you gotta love free rent

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
yes normally...but occasionally it's nice to befriend wealthy people. :eek:

littlejasonsandiego

Reaction score
that girl above me britz is very nice we met in hawaii. shes not there now ( hi briiiiiiiitzz!!!!) anyways just becare full! oh and the quenn that me and my friends opened up in hawaii was the coolest squat ive ever seen in my 7 years of squatting but i heard the roof caved in. i dont know if itll be possible to build a shack on oahu because of how populated andd gentrified it is. but kapiolani park is pretty nice. just becarefull in ala wai, or china town, waianaie(east side) or kaliki... theres alot of aloha but HI is #1 for sexual assualts... just sayin... but punx pretty much have the green light out there for aloha. i spent 6 months out there and had the time of my life,(other than ''rock fever'') but you can worry about that later....

Reaction score
I lived in HI for quite a while. I don't know about breaking actual squats, but plenty camping brah.. Tent citys all over the place. Treat it like a foreighn country though. You HAVE to earn respect. If you act macho or stupid you'll get rolled up with the quickness.. Once you are accepted however, you can be incredibally safe camping. Polynesians (generalization I know) are protective of them and theirs but if you are cool they are very giving/community oriented.. Just be careful of iced out con-people and slick tongue pimps.. Fuck with the wrong people and take a one way boatride to the outer reef. Just be careful and respectful.

peace

Kalalau

Reaction score
go to the promenade, it's on the west side of waikiki right over the alawai.. good people.. but if you want to see some real shit go to Kauai or the Big I. Kalalau or Waipio.

Kalalau

Reaction score
Ha... too funny.. I came here to make some money. You can go to Chinatown and in the Kmart parking lot you can get day labor in the mornings.. but it's kinda slow these day. it pays 80-250 bucks a day depending on what you know. You can spange Waikiki. Donate blood (not sure where, I never did it). collect cans (shitty)... work on craigslist (had some luck in the past)... street performance is pretty good there. I made 80-120 bucks a night with my talentless ass self. selling pot to tourists is definitely a mainstay (I'm a shitty salesperson so I didn't do it much).. foodstamps 312 bucks a month. hmm.. You can do clinical studies if you're white or Japanese 200ish bucks a day but it's pretty spotty. There's a labor ready.. but don't go there it's a ripoff. you can pick Mangos right now and sell them in Chinatown... I made pretty good money doing that. you just need a bike. It's mango season right now... you could probably do avacodoes right now too.

BanMatt

Reaction score
How do you go about getting food stamps there? Like in terms of explaining your living situation and how you ended up on the island? I thought about going there before I read this thread and from what you said it has increased my desire to do so. Plus "Lost" is filmed there.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Lost was filmed there, during the writers strike the film crew did alot of work making music videos for the local bands. I was there in the Army, but I ended up sleeping on the street or beachs most drunk nights, which was most nights. If you get a good sign, one that funny, one of my fav bums made about 300-400 bucks on weekend nights. He said he usually cleared 50 even on slow nights in Waikiki.

BanMatt

Reaction score
think you could probably pimp out some spange signs referring to lost? Like "need change for hatch entry" ? not the best but off top of drunk head it's an idea.

Kalalau

Reaction score
just say you're homeless.. and you've been there for 3 months at least. Tell em you came there to get some work or something if they ask.. make sure to say you have NO income and NO assets. They're usually pretty busy so they aren't going to play 20 questions. Get your appointment the first day you get off the plane. It might take a week or 2 to get your stamps. Plenty of free food in Chinatown while you wait, which is where the food stamp office is. and if you go to waikiki to Youth Outreach (I'd reccomend it) make sure to tell them you're under 21 (they won't ask for an ID) It's a good place for showers, networking and some free food.

bananathrash

Reaction score
Polynesians (generalization I know) are protective of them and theirs but if you are cool they are very giving/community oriented.. Just be careful of iced out con-people and slick tongue pimps.. Fuck with the wrong people and take a one way boatride to the outer reef. Just be careful and respectful.

i second that. hawaii has been butchered by gentrification, so the average person often cant afford housing, and there are a lot of reasons to hate whitey. there are a LOT of squatting families, and individuals, but youll want to be a little more wary than you would here as far as what houses you walk up on. it differs from island to island, the big island is probably the best to find camp.

astreet09

Reaction score
I'm trying to find some stats backing up the '#1 for sexual assult' thing. I've never been, but I've been thinking about going. If thats true, I'm probably putting it off until I can travel with a larger group.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads