Squatting in Hawaii?

boundtoleave3

Reaction score
Does anyone know the laws on squatting in Hawaii? I am about to travel out there and need to stay long enough to make money to get back over seas. If you could fill me in that be awesome! Thanks.

mikey mayhem

Reaction score
what island are you going to? i was on maui and had multiple squats....one was a multi million dollar house that over looked the ocean with beach access and still had hot water and electricity! as far as the laws go i thinks its different for each island.

boundtoleave3

Reaction score
I'm going to be in Kaneohe, which is on Oahu. That sounds pretty awesome. I have never actually been to Hawaii, but my friend lives there now and cant house me. So, I just need to be able to find a squat. Are the cops pretty strict there?

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Cops can be ass holes... but thats mainly the down town nigh cops. Ita all about respect... they wont show you none, but if you show them some... usally ok.

I would spend multi a night sleeping on the streets, but most the squats I used are gone... How long till you go, I can message some of my peeps...

Hell alot just sleep on the beach, in a tent.♠

boundtoleave3

Reaction score
Hahaa! Let's go! Probably in October. I'm not sure, now I have to figure out something to do with my pup. My friend that lives there told me that his dog is in a 4 month quarantine, standard for any dogs going over there. But, I really want to build a shack on the beach, and stay for a little bit. I have the money to fly from seattle, might as well do it while I can, right?

genghis braun

Reaction score
I've heard that camping in public places (like the beach) is legal there, but you should probably double check before you go out there. it would be cool to have a tent right on the beach.

nivoldoog

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Not all beaches, but alot of them.... you can. I am really concidering going back for the winter... I love it there. Great place to bum it.

boundtoleave3

Reaction score
Yeah I am stoked. My biggest problem right now is not having my dog when I go. Probably, I am going to love it and build a shack so I can go back and live there. What's the deal with like taking a barge there? Anyone know?

mikey mayhem

Reaction score
dunno about the barge but you can usually find a ticket around 200 bucks or less from the west coast. ill be there in november. oh and if you have a fishing pole in the water you can stay on any beach.

boundtoleave3

Reaction score
Yeah I found in October a plane ticket is $156, Seattle to Hawaii. That's not too bad, I just want to bring my dog, but I guess she will be staying home for this trip. Yeah I will probably just end up sleeping on the beach, probably build my self a little shack in the trees. Maybe I will run into ya!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
haven't really had any altercations with the police...tho the other day they rolled up on me and a friend drinking a beer and they let us finish drinkin em until they wrote the ticket. have never had that happen. lol this was in honolulu.....why kaneohe, may i ask?

stove

Reaction score
I just hitch-hiked from St. John's, Newfoundland to the west coast of Canada. I'm currently in Van and looking to head somewhere warmer for the winter. Thinking Hawaii would be a good place to squat for a few months.. but I'm sorta unsure what to expect over there.

Be prepared to camp on the beach and what's the worst that could happen? I'm thinking of heading over that way for a bit, lemme know how your time over there pans out, or if you want to link up at all...

jonom

Reaction score
i spent about 3 months tramping around the big island. there are many hostels that you can stay at real cheap. stick to the trails and camp when no one is around. hawaii is a breeze... fruit trees are every where.

damn i miss me some star fruit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads