spray painting tarps and tents | Squat the Planet

spray painting tarps and tents

kai

Reaction score
anyone have any luck or experience with spray painting tarps?

i have a bright blue tarp and I want to make it dark and more camoflauged. Any other methods for changing the color of a tarp?

Poking Victim

Reaction score
spray painting tarps

ArrowInOre said:
I saw a commercial the other day for the new tips of some specific brand of spray cans, you can adjust it to spray a wider band up/down or left/right, looks like the styles are about to change up a notch...I'll be looking at he cars closer (train cars) as they go by and see if i spot a change in the qualtiy or what?

Krylon has changed their caps to be nonremovable and have a fan spray. This just means writers won't use Krylon any more. Most of those pieces are done with more expensive, graffiti-specific spraypaint.

cricketonthemove

Reaction score
spray painting tarps

So apparently my post belongs under this topic instead of a "tent" topic...

What i posted early, but the thread I posted it in got sent to a waste bin, was about if anyone had any experience dying or painting a TENT. I just bought a new one that 'fell off the back of a truck' but it's bright orange and I don't wanna fuck up the water proofing by spray painting it. I've been told of rit dye but I'd like to know if anyone has actually tried this??

thanks. Jon.

cricketonthemove

Reaction score
sometimes you can find stuff called blind paint. they sell it at most sporting goods stores that sell hunting stuff. comes in most of the camo spectrum, olive,brown, sage, black.

Like paint for doing up your hunting blinds? I never thought of that but that might be my best bet. They're usually a similar material to a tent. Just have to check on if it'll fuck up my water proofing. Thanks!

boucaneer

Reaction score
cheap acrilic paint from an art shop, they sell it cheap in 500ml and 750ml plastic bottles and mix it with half the amount with a textile medium to make it plyable, try not to put it on to thick or it will be too heavy.

plan your disruptive pattern/camo in your head.

you can also buy a realy small bottle of both textile/fabric meduim which is white and the colored acrilic paint to test it first.

it should be waterproof but it might not breathe, you could get condensation,

it's also good for painting on leather jackets.

makan kotoran

Reaction score
cheap acrilic paint from an art shop, they sell it cheap in 500ml and 750ml plastic bottles and mix it with half the amount with a textile medium to make it plyable, try not to put it on to thick or it will be too heavy.

plan your disruptive pattern/camo in your head.

you can also buy a realy small bottle of both textile/fabric meduim which is white and the colored acrilic paint to test it first.

it should be waterproof but it might not breathe, you could get condensation,

it's also good for painting on leather jackets.

what about some thing that would be bent or folded/rolled up all the time? would this crack that paint? make it flake off or split the tarp? I just made a water proof bag cover using a tarp, and it's bright blue, and so is my tarp, I've been looking for methods that make it more inconspicuous. but have not yet found one that won't crack.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good god the man asks for advice painting his tent/tarp and you morons are blabbering about fucking train spray tags and spray paint in no helping fashion to the Original Poster.
I will watch this thread closely as we over at foxtail island may need to do this to our tents as well.

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
I tried dying my white hammock green with rit dye. My hammock is made of ripstop nylon, which is the same thing most tents are made of. I left it in a garbage bag with the dye for about 3 days, but when I pulled it out, it had only gained a slight tint. I have since been told by mulitple people that I should have added vinegar to the mix to make it work better. Also, if you want to go camo with it you could probably pitch the tent and use multiple to spray bottles with multiple colors of dye/vinegar to create that effect.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads