spray painting tarps and tents (1 Viewer)

kai

Current Location
victoria
anyone have any luck or experience with spray painting tarps?

i have a bright blue tarp and I want to make it dark and more camoflauged. Any other methods for changing the color of a tarp?

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Poking Victim

Lurker
Current Location
Spokane, WA
spray painting tarps

I saw a commercial the other day for the new tips of some specific brand of spray cans, you can adjust it to spray a wider band up/down or left/right, looks like the styles are about to change up a notch...I'll be looking at he cars closer (train cars) as they go by and see if i spot a change in the qualtiy or what?
Krylon has changed their caps to be nonremovable and have a fan spray. This just means writers won't use Krylon any more. Most of those pieces are done with more expensive, graffiti-specific spraypaint.

Current Location
Canada
spray painting tarps

So apparently my post belongs under this topic instead of a "tent" topic...

What i posted early, but the thread I posted it in got sent to a waste bin, was about if anyone had any experience dying or painting a TENT. I just bought a new one that 'fell off the back of a truck' but it's bright orange and I don't wanna fuck up the water proofing by spray painting it. I've been told of rit dye but I'd like to know if anyone has actually tried this??

thanks. Jon.

atomicpunk

Lurker
Current Location
youngstown ohio for the moment
sometimes you can find stuff called blind paint. they sell it at most sporting goods stores that sell hunting stuff. comes in most of the camo spectrum, olive,brown, sage, black.

Current Location
Canada
sometimes you can find stuff called blind paint. they sell it at most sporting goods stores that sell hunting stuff. comes in most of the camo spectrum, olive,brown, sage, black.
Like paint for doing up your hunting blinds? I never thought of that but that might be my best bet. They're usually a similar material to a tent. Just have to check on if it'll fuck up my water proofing. Thanks!

boucaneer

Current Location
london, england.
cheap acrilic paint from an art shop, they sell it cheap in 500ml and 750ml plastic bottles and mix it with half the amount with a textile medium to make it plyable, try not to put it on to thick or it will be too heavy.

plan your disruptive pattern/camo in your head.

you can also buy a realy small bottle of both textile/fabric meduim which is white and the colored acrilic paint to test it first.

it should be waterproof but it might not breathe, you could get condensation,

it's also good for painting on leather jackets.

makan kotoran

Lurker
Current Location
Earth
cheap acrilic paint from an art shop, they sell it cheap in 500ml and 750ml plastic bottles and mix it with half the amount with a textile medium to make it plyable, try not to put it on to thick or it will be too heavy.

plan your disruptive pattern/camo in your head.

you can also buy a realy small bottle of both textile/fabric meduim which is white and the colored acrilic paint to test it first.

it should be waterproof but it might not breathe, you could get condensation,

it's also good for painting on leather jackets.
what about some thing that would be bent or folded/rolled up all the time? would this crack that paint? make it flake off or split the tarp? I just made a water proof bag cover using a tarp, and it's bright blue, and so is my tarp, I've been looking for methods that make it more inconspicuous. but have not yet found one that won't crack.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Good god the man asks for advice painting his tent/tarp and you morons are blabbering about fucking train spray tags and spray paint in no helping fashion to the Original Poster.
I will watch this thread closely as we over at foxtail island may need to do this to our tents as well.

Current Location
Anywhere, USA
I tried dying my white hammock green with rit dye. My hammock is made of ripstop nylon, which is the same thing most tents are made of. I left it in a garbage bag with the dye for about 3 days, but when I pulled it out, it had only gained a slight tint. I have since been told by mulitple people that I should have added vinegar to the mix to make it work better. Also, if you want to go camo with it you could probably pitch the tent and use multiple to spray bottles with multiple colors of dye/vinegar to create that effect.

soundpath

Lurker
Current Location
planet x
I threw some black and od green on my regular brown poly tarp. works great. I used plastic-specific krylon spray paint. Hasn't come off yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $15.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $15.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $15.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $15.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

The self defense group is going so far so great!
Three years of loving and caring, down the backed up toilet.
I feel uncomfortable with all of the transphobic micro-aggressions being thrown around here lately. I also feel uncomfortable standing up in defense of trans folk, me included, in fear of developing discourse without the consequence of proper accountability.
Barf wrote on Brodiesel710's profile.
There's a fish in the percolator
I'm in NYC. What's good? Anyone wanna kick it? Where can I camp without getting hassled?
Roof vent is installed, fixed the side mirror, mounted the solar panels and ran the wires into the van. Currently working on putting in the floor. It's a lot but I'm making steady progress.
Anyone is Portland wanna kick it for a night and get motey'd up?!
Wowzers I'm glad I was off the site for the duration of The Pronoun Thread, as it's been titled. Holy shit. I know for a fact I would have gotten sucked into it and I'm not sure if that would've been a good thing lol
48 hours from HELL, lost thirteen hundred dollars, thats a fuckload on a pension! lost two ducks to the heat, the key for teh vespa is goign to cost an unbelievable amount says the cheerful vespa mechanic,and i need two new tyres, a new belt and rollersaswell! the generator died, wake up, the dogs cold and dead besides me and for the icing on the cake, lost my fucking bankcard and the bank tellers was a twat to me!!!ANYONE nearby bring booze and cigs and cheer!!!!FARRRKKKKKKK
On the side of the road 8 miles from Paint Rock, TX

Members online