So...Why California? (1 Viewer)

J

Johnny P

I deleted myself
I notice a lot of people on here and a lot of people I meet on the road are always wanting to go to California. Why? What is the fascination with that state? Why does it seem to be every fresh travelers destination?

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Unslap

Current Location
East coast
Haha the first johnny pain tag i saw was in dunsmuir ironically. But to answer your thread, people in cali just act differently, and its a nice place to be if you like weed. Tons of travelers if thats your thing. It has the ocean, beautiful outdoors and varied landscape, temperate climate and sunshine.. I wish i was in california right now.

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Current Location
Florida - FEC milepost 105.1
Because CA is a giant training ground for Green horns. Lures em all in with the weed then keeps em around with their spectacular homeless services. I say thanx California.. Thanx for takin one for the team.

OP
C

crustythadd23

I deleted myself
Weed, shrooms, beaches and the bitches. But other than that CA sucks.

Tatanka

Rambler
Current Location
Potter County PA
Been meaning to get there a few trips now since I first started hitting the road, but have yet to make it, on foot or in a vehicle, maybe it's a sign.

scatwomb

Current Location
Eugene
I just think it's sad that Californians ruined California. And Californians are now ruining my favorite states (Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Colorado, etc.)

The only thing those assholes are good at is "developing" beautiful landscapes and habitats with housing developments, strip malls, and freeways. A bunch of hypercapitalist fucks, in my opinion :)

If you can see beyond the development, you can really tell how beautiful it used to be.

I really like the far northern part of the state, though. Used to live in Arcata.

OP
J

Johnny P

I deleted myself
^^^ I agree with you there...

The weed is better in Oregon. I think we should build a giant wall around cali. In fact, put a big bubble over it so nobody can get out. Californians have ruined California and are quickly trying to Californicate everywhere else.

OP
J

Johnny P

I deleted myself
I always figured it was just an east coast thing. Like I thought kids on the west coast would all want to get to some place more... atlantic.
Nope most Californians are afraid of the East Coast or any place not on the West Coast. Common response I get from Californians when I mention some other part of the country I am headed to is : "Ugh, Why do you want to go THERE?"

OP
J

Johnny P

I deleted myself
Haha the first johnny pain tag i saw was in dunsmuir ironically. But to answer your thread, people in cali just act differently, and its a nice place to be if you like weed. Tons of travelers if thats your thing. It has the ocean, beautiful outdoors and varied landscape, temperate climate and sunshine.. I wish i was in california right now.
I love Dunsmuir! Yes I have been to Cali, but I had visited other places well before I ever went to California. I only first visited Cali 3 years ago, and Dunsmuir was the first place in Cali I ever went due to the UP line coming down from Oregon.

scatwomb

Current Location
Eugene
I actually have really mixed feelings about California. I've met amazing people in Oakland, SF, and Humboldt County and it's an absolutely beautiful place with a lot of camping and hiking opportunities. It is, also, however, overcrowded, polluted, overdeveloped and filled with hypocritical "liberal" hypercapitalists.

Evie217

Lurker
Current Location
Fostoria, United States
Man I was fixin to hop out to Cali with a bud when I got to Texas but I recently backed out. I have no desire to go, been once and thats enough for me.. so far anyway. Yea it gets a little repetitive hearing so many souls say they absolutely need to get to Cali. No reason at all.

Tatanka

Rambler
Current Location
Potter County PA
Yeah i'm heading out again in a few weeks but don't know about cali now. maybe just go for a night or two, to say I've been and head back to the hills ahaha

Unslap

Current Location
East coast
I wouldnt like cali nwearly as much if id never hitched through the hwy 1 on the coast. 1 of a kind beauty and people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

DisfunctionalBliss wrote on sydaavicious's profile.
Ta ta ta..... Building treehouses, pallet houses, rocket stoves, and all sorts of wacky live of the land shit. Want a change? Feel free to check us out: Auburn WA....just south of Seattle. Can help u on ur travels too
Back online... Sorry I haven´t been active. Moving to the UK with my little family for a while.
50% of needed gas funds for OR trip obtained ✔
Bey
The Dumpster giveth...! Good skipping today, with some line struggle, though, over the freegan vs. "meegan" positions...
van dwelling in san antonio. about to get on the road to oregon or someplace by end of the month. i'm still so fucked up about my dear friend @Multifaceted passing away and need to get out of our hometown..
Confirmation that travel expenses will be covered has been APPROVED! I'M OUTTA HERE!
For years now I've been told to check out r/vagabond and I looked into it. Its terrible and I'm glad i haven't met those people.
Glad to be active again here on STP. I realize now how much I missed this community
Heading to Oregon this week...anyone wanna ride along?

Staff online