Slowest Hitching

Jackal

Reaction score
For some reason I couldn't catch up with any southbound trains in Laurel, which is why I ended up hitching out of there and landing on that worthless exit! As for the area between Billings and Rapid City, I'd more or less have to agree, though I did score a dream ride all the way home to Omaha from a trucker in Gillette, WY.

I've never really trolled truck stops for rides; always have hung out on the ramp. What do y'all usually do when seeking rides at a truck stop? Fly a sign with your destination? Strike up conversations with random truckers? That Flying J you're talking about gave me the boot for simply sitting on the grass eating my lunch. The guy was polite about it, but it kinda caught me off guard as I wasn't really actively soliciting rides or begging for food/money at all.

Where were you waiting for SB's?

I usually make a sign and hold it up while walking in front of all the trucks or ask a trucker to use his radio and use it to ask the other truckers for a ride. Must truckers won't pick up hitchers because of issues with the contract they have with their company, but as you know, some do and it's usually a long ride which makes it worth the try.

I think I got picked up in Gillete from a trucker going to Omaha once, was it a black guy from the south?

Reactions: ironman

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
which area along the border? i FLEW up the E77 this summer, but only after spending 18 hours WALKING through rural slovakia with my thumb out...

Same E77, the area would be just as the road parts from the main highway ...

oatsrail

Reaction score
it took me 4 weeks to get a ride out of Sacramento,California to be dropped off in Roseville,C.a and then another two weeks to get from Roseville,C.A to Tahoe and spent 4 days in Tahoe til a trucker picked me up and dropped me off in downtown Reno 2 blocks from the sliver legacy but that was slowest hitching i have done in California using the I-80 freeway.

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
it took me 4 weeks to get a ride out of Sacramento,California to be dropped off in Roseville,C.a and then another two weeks to get from Roseville,C.A to Tahoe and spent 4 days in Tahoe til a trucker picked me up and dropped me off in downtown Reno 2 blocks from the sliver legacy but that was slowest hitching i have done in California using the I-80 freeway.

Than i read this kind of stuff i seriously think that sometimes it can be a real bummer to hitch in the states. There is no way you would need more than a week maybe 10days to cover 2000miles in europe...

F

FilXeno

Damn, you coulda walked faster than that.

anywhere_but_here

Reaction score
Me and my road dog got stuck in texas after getting pulled off the train in el paso. it took 6 days to walk across el paso then we got a ride to some bum fuck town outside of houston and got stuck for another 3 days there, weatherford that was it. then we got a ride to houston. tried to hop out of houston and only made it to a building yard like 30 miles outside of houston. walked most of the way and finally got one more ride to orange. actually walked the next however many miles into louisiana. got a ride the next morning all the way to florida.

boucaneer

Reaction score
one week at calais port truck stop, just could'nt get a lift. then after about 6 days manneged to get a lift to macon in france, then it was a breeze all the way to cartagena in spain.

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
one week at calais port truck stop, just could'nt get a lift. then after about 6 days manneged to get a lift to macon in france, then it was a breeze all the way to cartagena in spain.

Yeah i heared calais can be a a bitch sometimes, luckily this summer me and my girlfriend stoped a car in belgium and got a lift to london.

smellsea

Reaction score
iowa. iowa is the worst hitch hiking. i could hitch in center city philadelphia from a taxi driver better then being on a major high way, or major on ramp in iowa. i practically walked from omaha, nebraska into missouri.

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
Baltimore by the shittiest 95 onramp ever, near the TA next to travel plaza, for 11 hours is my record worst.

By the way, Loess how/where are you?

I know exactly where you're talking about. Hitching out of Baltimore is royal pain in the ass. I was lucky though, and got a ride just before dark to the Virginia border.

Diagaro

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
how hard is it to get in to the EU with American felonies?
I'd give my right nut to get there. I can stay below the radar pity well so I'm sure i could lurk for at least a year or more before i got nabbed.
Half tempted to sail my happy ass there and sink the boat off the coast at night and swim in.

ThrashAndBurn

Reaction score
on the out skirts of Lincoln NE in January it was well under freezing. I had been up for 24 hours hitching from SLC. i tried on this corner that i thought was the on ramp for a few hours then took a nap in the drainage ditch under the road. woke up and was there for a few more hours got picked up just before dark only cause this girl felt really bad cause i was begging cars to get out of there. she literally backed down the on ramp and was on the phone all nervous about picking up some dude i threw her my ID she gave her friend my info and off we went. took me to iowa city tried to get a hold of a friend to crash with could drop me at a truck stop in the middle of a snow storm felt bad came back and picked me up and dropped me off at a homeless shelter at like 11 pm then got a phone call it was my friend got a hold of her and he came and got me.

makan kotoran

Reaction score
currently trying to hitch from Dumai (east central Sumatra, Indonesia) to Bandung (south west java, Indonesia) only 1400kms. so far it's been 7 days and we've only gotten 500 kms. the rain won't stop and the random faffing hippy dude I said could come with me is like dragging dead weight. won't do anything for himself or even help me.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
at least I can smoke in this internet cafe.

M

Monkeywrench

White Haven, PA. Biggest truck stop/rest stop possibly in PA (apart from Breezewood)--but goddamn did I wait all fucking day. On top of the 12 hour wait, it was raining in bursts of 15 minutes followed by the beating sun. So we'd pack up, run out, thumb it, run back, repeat. However, the hobo gods were kind that day, because after the said 12 hours--we rode for 115 miles in the back of a horse trailer (with horses) through the mountains of rural PA. Good fuckin' times.

Reaction score
It took me two days to get from upstate New York to South Carolina, then three days of harassment from cops and funny looks from locals to make it to North Carolina. I've made it a general rule: do NOT hitchhike in South Carolina. The only rides I could find were from people who were all from out of state and had hitched when they were young. After I made it to North Carolina it took me only two days to get to Georgia. Yeah, fuck SC!

Dannywaste

Reaction score
I've lived off and on in NC for years. We have a lot of good places to see and some chill spots to explore but hitching here is shit. The western part of the state from Greensboro down to Charlotte and out to Asheville is better off for getting a ride. Stay away from the triangle, i.e. Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill. Mostly all snobbish yuppies working for corporations. South Carolina is pretty bad too, the cops are a lot worse there as well.

makan kotoran

Reaction score
I just arrived at my mates house in jakarta. after 12 fucking day. still 3 hour from bandung. fuck hitching and more, it's my bday tomorrow, i'm getting wasted and hoping the semen train, (that's how the cement here). two nights ago I hoped and oil train that would have brought me straight here, but the lazy hippie wouldn't try and catch it on the fly. and knowing if he was left there alone he'd just wander around in a circles in his permastoned stuper untill he died of dehydration. so a I had to bail off on the fly aswell, then 12 gangster kids tryed to roll me.
lost one brand new pack of smokes.
bummer

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

Dirty Rig

Reaction score
not a SLOW hitching story, but a shitty experience nevertheless. i was passing through baltimore with my roaddawg Dustin. frustrated and hungry, we got in a huge argument with the other group of kids that had been traveling with a for a few cities and told them to kick rocks. we marched up to the shoulder-less on-ramp just outside of the hood, desperate to just get out of town. it was already 7 in the evening, and if you've ever tried to hitch-hike out of baltimore, you know yer odds are slim-to-none, especially on an exit as shitty as this one. we thought we might have better luck hitting up a gas-station and asking around for rides. within 20 minutes, a statie pulled up and told us we were loitering and that our best bet to hitch out of town would be walking up and down the sidewalk next to the on-ramp with our sign and wave in potential rides to whatever parking lot we might happen across, about a half-mile stretch. around 1 in the morning, we were picked up by a pretty decent ex-hitcher who shot us a couple hamburgers. i've never been more grateful for a ride in my life, after a long day of arguing, fighting, starving, and sobriety.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads