skateboard on the road

Kabukimono

Reaction score
I brought my deck with me back when I hitched Europe with a 75l pack.
Pro's:
  • You can skate whenever/wherever you want and there's some sic parks around.
  • You can stick you're pack onto and push it if it get too heavy
  • It's a good way to meet like minded people
  • If you have a peice of chalk you can write your destination and just hang it from your pack.
Con's:
  • It can get rather heavy
  • It's a very awkward shape to carry when with a big pack
  • If you get bored of carrying it - it would be a shame to just dump it.

That's about all I can think off for now. But I wouldn't look at it in pro's or con's - More like a decision of wether you want it with you or not.
Km

ipoPua

Reaction score
Ive thought about it.. and when im home i work at a skatepark....
but when im out and about i have a small guitar with me as well as everything else.. so no space really.. i can carry one or the other... but i can at least busk with the guitar.
thats exactly my dilemma, trying to decide between the mando and the board. seriously tough decision for me, i love playing on strings but i love skating too... i dunno though the dude im starting out with doesnt skate so i guess most of the time itd just be extra weight. probably gonna bring it and break it, it's pretty close anyway.

K

Kim Chee

thats exactly my dilemma, trying to decide between the mando and the board. seriously tough decision for me, i love playing on strings but i love skating too... i dunno though the dude im starting out with doesnt skate so i guess most of the time itd just be extra weight. probably gonna bring it and break it, it's pretty close anyway.

If I skated and played a mando, I'd be tempted to fashion a stringed instrument out of a rideable board.
I bet it could be done. Maybe it would ride better than it sounds, but it would do both.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
trying to decide between the mando and the board
mando round your neck.......board strapped to the pack or under yer feet....done...............and if it gets shitty you can always just ditch/sell one or the other.....give it a try and see how you deal with it..........

brokenteeth

Reaction score
i took a longboard with me on my trip to slab city... was fucking sick! there was a day when nobody would pick me up on the i-10 and I just got on my board and drifted for 50 miles! if you take a deck with you, i would suggest longboard wheels for those middle-of-nowhere badly paved roads/highways

E

Earth

...from 1977 until about 1992, where I went - one of my many sticks went with me.
I stopped riding why I don't know - but after reading this thread, I think it's time to resurrect my 1979 Dogtown Big Foot, with new Indy 215s and Powell Bones!!

ipoPua

Reaction score
mando round your neck.......board strapped to the pack or under yer feet....done...............and if it gets shitty you can always just ditch/sell one or the other.....give it a try and see how you deal with it..........
pretty much definitely what im gonna do, i cant choose one or the other. i expect i'll ditch the board, it'll be a sad day but eh
stringed instrument out of a rideable board.
thatd be a wild project lol

Ean

Reaction score
I rode a longboard (hitched with it) from Panama City to savanah, then to asheville, then to west Tennessee. I now carry only this, a sleeping bag, extra bearings, a tool, and extra socks. got my gear (minus the board) down to about 10 pounds. Im about to purchase one of these super compact super light sleeping bags that is about the size of a 32 oucne gatorade bottle when it's fully compressed. thinking of ditching my pack in favor of a cool DIY utility belt. If i can ever find another one of those sleeping bags. And im pretty sure the cops just think im a college boy when they see me riding around.

D

Deleted member 5971

iv been thinking of taking my board along with me but it just seems to much of a hassle that i would have to carry a banjo a skateboard and my pack along everywhere i go. 135 pounds doesnt make it much easier ra.nd.o

bryanpaul

Reaction score
iv been thinking of taking my board along with me but it just seems to much of a hassle that i would have to carry a banjo a skateboard and my pack along everywhere i go. 135 pounds doesnt make it much easier ra.nd.o

lose some shit you don't need....and strap your board to your pack..... i understand tho.....i dont skate every day and when i do... i want parks and bowls and transition type shit....but it does help having your board on you going down hills and sidewalks and shit...........there was a time on the road when my hand would twitch if my board wasn't in it....like "fuck!....where's your board".......and if nothin else if you get sick of carrying it, you can just trade it to somebody, for something......i advise ANY kid that skates to take their board with 'em....... like i used to say on the road...i can roll 30 feet off one push of my foot...where you have to take a bunch of steps......... fuck walkin

ipoPua

Reaction score
dude fuck bringing a banjo are you kidding me? i mean if you reallyreally love it then my opinion means shit but i guarantee youll regret that most of the time. i'm bringing my mandolin but that only weighs a couple pounds where a banjo, if it's as heavy as mine that'd fucking suck. as for boards my favorite deck finally passed the point of no return a couple weeks ago. both tails have been gone for a long time but i've grown to prefer it that way, but one of the trucks was held on by two upside down bolts cos the holes had gotten too big for the normal way and it was rocking really bad but i dealt, now the holes are too big fr having it even that way. i've been looking for a chunk of wood to turn into a ghettodeck with some sandpaper grip. i dont do many tech tricks, mostly boneless stuff and some shoveit variations so i dont need all the fancy curves. ideally i wanna sand down the center so i still have a bit of a concave but i'll probably be too lazy for that.

/ramble

D

Deleted member 5971

dude fuck bringing a banjo are you kidding me? i mean if you reallyreally love it then my opinion means shit but i guarantee youll regret that most of the time. i'm bringing my mandolin but that only weighs a couple pounds where a banjo, if it's as heavy as mine that'd fucking suck. as for boards my favorite deck finally passed the point of no return a couple weeks ago. both tails have been gone for a long time but i've grown to prefer it that way, but one of the trucks was held on by two upside down bolts cos the holes had gotten too big for the normal way and it was rocking really bad but i dealt, now the holes are too big fr having it even that way. i've been looking for a chunk of wood to turn into a ghettodeck with some sandpaper grip. i dont do many tech tricks, mostly boneless stuff and some shoveit variations so i dont need all the fancy curves. ideally i wanna sand down the center so i still have a bit of a concave but i'll probably be too lazy for that.

/ramble

yer defidently right i am considering leaving it. but my passion for music out on the road idk wat im going to do about. i got a geetar too but thats just as heavy? if i go without an instrument ill get music withdraws? call me crazy

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
last time i was on the road i chained my board to my pack with a small chain i found, but that chain is crimped on my wrist now, plus it got annoying as fuck when the board would slap my pack while i walked... so whats the best way to attach it to my pack? Ill also be carrying a half-sized guitar.

ipoPua

Reaction score
moldy i just tuck mine under the straps. wrap a sweater around it if youre worried about the grip eating at your shirt or bag. and resist, maybe you could buy some nylon strings and make a ghetto little po'boy guitar? or if youve got the money you could buy a cheap little ukulele, light as fuck. i found a flying v uke online a couple years ago lol

bryanpaul

Reaction score
when i first hit the road all i had was this ghettoass duffelbag...like didnt even have straps so sometimes i would bungee cord it to my board and hook a belt to it and tow it down the sidewalk with me......straight dumbass newbie/greenhorn/oogle lookin shit....but it worked

K

kokomojoe

I've been skating for 11 years and I dont plan on taking my board anywhere just because it's extra weight, it'd get waterlogged and I really don't wanna fuck with it. If I wanna skate Ill find someone skating and ask them if I can cruise for a little bit. Then again I've been pretty burnt out on skating for a while now.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads