Anagor

Wayfarer
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
My Converse Chucks after three weeks in Brighton:

chucks1-jpg.23652_Shoes_Clothing_Squat the Planet_11:11 PM

Those shoes were as good as new as I started my trip.

chucks2-jpg.23653_Shoes_Clothing_Squat the Planet_11:11 PM

But after three weeks of spending time at the beach, sitting on the ground a lot and walking quite a few miles they got really worn out. Left shoe got a huge hole burned by some glowing piece of wood at a campfire.

The other (more comfortable) pair of shoes I had with me:

vans-jpg.23654_Shoes_Clothing_Squat the Planet_11:11 PM

The right one fell apart in London, had to fix it with tape.

So note to myself: for the next trip get better, robust shoes.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

angerisagift

Wayfarer
Current Location
Greeley
My Converse Chucks after three weeks in Brighton:

View attachment 23652

Those shoes were as good as new as I started my trip.

View attachment 23653
But after three weeks of spending time at the beach, sitting on the ground a lot and walking quite a few miles they got really worn out. Left shoe got a huge hole burned by some glowing piece of wood at a campfire.

The other (more comfortable) pair of shoes I had with me:

View attachment 23654
The right one fell apart in London, had to fix it with tape.

So note to myself: for the next trip get better, robust shoes.
get some quality boots #functionoverfashion

E

etpyh

I deleted myself
Converse Chucks and those vans are ridiculously overpriced for the poor quality they offer. Both companies have some good (skate) shoes, but I don't understand the hype around the chucks and the authentics (?).

ByronMc

Current Location
Richmond
Website
www.facebook.com
I've been wearing chucks for close to 50 years, give or take, I don't wear anything else, except redwing boots!
The chucks being the main stay now, due to screws in my ankle, anything else will cause my eyes to roll back into my head, from the pain! Tried other shoes, to work in, but a few miles later, I'm adjusting the right shoe, & in pain!
The pair I have now is at least 6 months old and still intact !

Last edited by a moderator:

Peace

Current Location
somewhere
Converse >.<
I used to love them but I stopped buying them after they were bought by Nike.
People over fashion.

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
Checkered Vans remind me of highschool.

Leather doesn't stink as much.

Tatanka

Rambler
Current Location
Potter County PA
Yeahhhh like the first reply put it. To me there's those who wear what works and those who wear what is common. Man get some damn boots if your putting on the miles you say. I got a pair of 60 dollar military boots at a flea market on Kentucky in December still wearing them now, hitching and all the shit I did in between then and now, hiking roofing, masonry, fuck them designer snags. Left a new pair of Rockies at my grandparents for these bombers.

OP
Anagor

Anagor

Wayfarer
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
Converse Chucks and those vans are ridiculously overpriced for the poor quality they offer. Both companies have some good (skate) shoes, but I don't understand the hype around the chucks and the authentics (?).
The Vans are slip ons, authentics have shoelaces afaik. But you're right, in my opinion there is not so much difference between the original Vans (€ 60) and Deichmann look-alikes (€ 10). Not so much difference that would justify the sixfold price anyway.

But I got the Vans and Chucks both on sale, so I didn't pay that much.

OP
Anagor

Anagor

Wayfarer
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
I've been wearing chucks for close to 50 years, give or take, I don't wear anything else, except redwing boots!
The chucks being the main stay now, due to screws in my ankle, anything else will cause my eyes to roll back into my head, from the pain! Tried other shoes, to work in, but a few miles later, I'm adjusting the right shoe, & in pain!
The pair I have now is at least 6 months old and still intact !
For me normally Chucks or other canvas shoes are good for about a year. But during my last trip I sat on the ground with crossed legs all the time, hence the holes at the outsides. And from the hole burned at the inside the canvas ripped more very quickly. Was quite rough for my shoes ...

OP
Anagor

Anagor

Wayfarer
Current Location
Bonn, Germany
Website
Yeahhhh like the first reply put it. To me there's those who wear what works and those who wear what is common. Man get some damn boots if your putting on the miles you say. I got a pair of 60 dollar military boots at a flea market on Kentucky in December still wearing them now, hitching and all the shit I did in between then and now, hiking roofing, masonry, fuck them designer snags.
In fact I have a pair of military boots (from the time I did my 10 months military service). I only would have to bring them to the cobbler to have them resoled (the material between shoe and sole deteriorated over the time).

But I don't like heavy shoes/boots (edit: esp. in summer) and I don't do a lot of hiking in the wilderness, only walking a lot in cities. So I think I'll get some skate shoes or alike that are more robust. The boots would be an option for winter, though.

Durp

Wayfarer
Current Location
VA for now
thrift store leather shoes. I have been rocking the same pair for well over a year. I think they are rockports? Idk best $2 ever spent tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

van dwelling in san antonio. about to get on the road to oregon or someplace by end of the month. i'm still so fucked up about my dear friend @Multifaceted passing away and need to get out of our hometown..
Confirmation that travel expenses will be covered has been APPROVED! I'M OUTTA HERE!
For years now I've been told to check out r/vagabond and I looked into it. Its terrible and I'm glad i haven't met those people.
Glad to be active again here on STP. I realize now how much I missed this community
Heading to Oregon this week...anyone wanna ride along?
I'm leaving MN in Spring!
Does anyone here have experience with shops yard in L.A., i could use a little advice.
Hey all, been a while, a lot has happened! A little update, my bf got charged with domestic & my shoulder is sprained: things are in the works right now and my plan is to get an RV & GTF outta here!