Safe-ish spots or ways to sleep in NYC | Squat the Planet

Safe-ish spots or ways to sleep in NYC

croc

Reaction score
Seen a couple other threads about this but no one seems to answer this question directly so here's another one :p

Any recommended sleep spots in NYC? Been scared af to sleep there alone bc all the good, hidden spots have gotta be taken n sleeping in the parks seems sketchy.

croc

Reaction score
Got hella recommendations to sleep in central park

Maxnomad

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Walmart has some for like ten to fifteen bucks, if theres none accessible i know w amazon you can have them deliver to pickup locations, theres gotta be a million in the city

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Man, that is definitely a good question. I've gotten away with SF, SAC, Seattle, Tacoma, SLC, Vegas, PHX, Austin, Wichita, Fresno, Stockton, ect....

But the big cities on the East Coast freak me right the fuck out.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
That park on the lower east side is good. Central park is so-so, the cops will wake you up a lot of times and say its "dangerous". and Hoboken is pretty good that park right on the waterfront near the path train. Again cops will wake you up but they don't care too much.

superphoenix

Reaction score
Depends how stealthy you are. You could def get away with it in the forested areas of Prospect Park (been there past midnight cooking with propane and my touring bike and authorities blew past me). Bay Ridge has a lot of waterfront parks with tree cover and no one comes by those quasi-forest parts (spent much times in the early AM hours in those parks growing up). Both areas are in very safe neighborhoods where you'll be fine. The latter is a bit far from the city (an hour by train) but I can pretty much guarantee you're not going to run into anyone on a weekday as long as you're hidden.

I don't recommend anywhere in Manhattan. I can think of many other spots, but since you're looking for safe as possible and are trying not to be bothered, that's my best advice.

superphoenix

Reaction score
Outside of the realm of safe-ish, there are waterfront spots (which can get sketch with other people), subway emergency exits in the outer boroughs, low rooftops you can climb onto and abandoned buildings (which obviously must be done in the dark and can be sus). Good luck out there.

D

Deleted member 26656

Seen a couple other threads about this but no one seems to answer this question directly so here's another one :p

Any recommended sleep spots in NYC? Been scared af to sleep there alone bc all the good, hidden spots have gotta be taken n sleeping in the parks seems sketchy.
Take the free ferry out to Staten island. Take the staten island railway (can use your metro card) 19 stops down to "Richmond valley". Big forest you can camp in there.

D

Deleted member 26656

I forget which bus it is but there is a way you can also get out around gateway national recreation area and there are thousands of acres and you can camp in there.

superphoenix

Reaction score
I forget which bus it is but there is a way you can also get out around gateway national recreation area and there are thousands of acres and you can camp in there.

Q35 to Fort Tilden! After dark, there's NOTHING going on, so the world is your oyster there, and lots of cool abandoned bunkers.

As for underneath boardwalks, that's a bit harder to do now since many of them are getting filled with sand for flood protection.

Most residents won't bother you if you're sleeping somewhere.

D

Deleted member 26656

Q35 to Fort Tilden! After dark, there's NOTHING going on, so the world is your oyster there, and lots of cool abandoned bunkers.

As for underneath boardwalks, that's a bit harder to do now since many of them are getting filled with sand for flood protection.

Most residents won't bother you if you're sleeping somewhere.
Yeah, that's it. The q35 bus! Yo that bus also goes by alot of woods too that are on the way to fort tilden...

Puke Mcvomit

Reaction score

Under the boardwalk in Coney there’s usually a big pile of crust. I’m sure they’d be happy to host you.

Get out while you can..

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads