Safe-ish spots or ways to sleep in NYC (1 Viewer)

croc

Wise Sage
Seen a couple other threads about this but no one seems to answer this question directly so here's another one :p

Any recommended sleep spots in NYC? Been scared af to sleep there alone bc all the good, hidden spots have gotta be taken n sleeping in the parks seems sketchy.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Maxnomad

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Walmart has some for like ten to fifteen bucks, if theres none accessible i know w amazon you can have them deliver to pickup locations, theres gotta be a million in the city

Coywolf

Mastering the Art of Houselessness
Staff member
Website
www.youtube.com
Man, that is definitely a good question. I've gotten away with SF, SAC, Seattle, Tacoma, SLC, Vegas, PHX, Austin, Wichita, Fresno, Stockton, ect....

But the big cities on the East Coast freak me right the fuck out.

Desperado Deluxe

Wise Sage
That park on the lower east side is good. Central park is so-so, the cops will wake you up a lot of times and say its "dangerous". and Hoboken is pretty good that park right on the waterfront near the path train. Again cops will wake you up but they don't care too much.

superphoenix

Wanderer
Depends how stealthy you are. You could def get away with it in the forested areas of Prospect Park (been there past midnight cooking with propane and my touring bike and authorities blew past me). Bay Ridge has a lot of waterfront parks with tree cover and no one comes by those quasi-forest parts (spent much times in the early AM hours in those parks growing up). Both areas are in very safe neighborhoods where you'll be fine. The latter is a bit far from the city (an hour by train) but I can pretty much guarantee you're not going to run into anyone on a weekday as long as you're hidden.

I don't recommend anywhere in Manhattan. I can think of many other spots, but since you're looking for safe as possible and are trying not to be bothered, that's my best advice.

superphoenix

Wanderer
Outside of the realm of safe-ish, there are waterfront spots (which can get sketch with other people), subway emergency exits in the outer boroughs, low rooftops you can climb onto and abandoned buildings (which obviously must be done in the dark and can be sus). Good luck out there.

D

Deleted member 26656

I deleted myself
Seen a couple other threads about this but no one seems to answer this question directly so here's another one :p

Any recommended sleep spots in NYC? Been scared af to sleep there alone bc all the good, hidden spots have gotta be taken n sleeping in the parks seems sketchy.
Take the free ferry out to Staten island. Take the staten island railway (can use your metro card) 19 stops down to "Richmond valley". Big forest you can camp in there.

AAAutin

Nomad
The cops come through Central Park in the wee hours; but staying up all night and crashing on a bench there during the day is definitely an option.

If you're in the Bronx, you can find some cover out by the zoo—right around Pelham Parkway/Bronx River Parkway.

Clem

Never been but my friend said he just made friends with other dirty kids and slept in a bum pile on the sidewalks of the lower east side. Safety in numbers.

D

Deleted member 26656

I deleted myself
I forget which bus it is but there is a way you can also get out around gateway national recreation area and there are thousands of acres and you can camp in there.

salxtina

Vagabond
I slept under the boardwalk on coney island this summer the night after mermaid parade, it'd be cold now though. Also I just stayed on a subway all night once in a pinch, me and another guy had the same idea and mostly slept undisturbed, the one worker who saw us was cool about it.

superphoenix

Wanderer
I forget which bus it is but there is a way you can also get out around gateway national recreation area and there are thousands of acres and you can camp in there.
Q35 to Fort Tilden! After dark, there's NOTHING going on, so the world is your oyster there, and lots of cool abandoned bunkers.

As for underneath boardwalks, that's a bit harder to do now since many of them are getting filled with sand for flood protection.

Most residents won't bother you if you're sleeping somewhere.

D

Deleted member 26656

I deleted myself
Q35 to Fort Tilden! After dark, there's NOTHING going on, so the world is your oyster there, and lots of cool abandoned bunkers.

As for underneath boardwalks, that's a bit harder to do now since many of them are getting filled with sand for flood protection.

Most residents won't bother you if you're sleeping somewhere.
Yeah, that's it. The q35 bus! Yo that bus also goes by alot of woods too that are on the way to fort tilden...

Under the boardwalk in Coney there’s usually a big pile of crust. I’m sure they’d be happy to host you.
Get out while you can..

Roxy

Rambler
Go to the borough of queens, queens is kind of sub-urban so its easier to find spaces to hide from the world.

BabyYoda

Lurker
go to the base. it’s an anarchist collective in brooklyn. there may be some resources there

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $35.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $35.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $35.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $35.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

My Anarchist's Guide to Travel came in today, six days early! I know it's not anything major, but I feel like I'm finally making progress towards getting myself out and traveling.

Now I just have to make sure I don't forget about my book review (which I wrote in my spare time) because I was too busy plowing through this. 😬

EDIT: It also came with a message from Matt and an awesome StP sticker that I didn't notice at first! Thank you!!
Katbearfoot wrote on Fenimore's profile.
cool tats! ;)
Back in the states, where madness reigns supreme

But I'm alright here in Wichita, KS

Found some beautiful nature spots

kickin' it with my parents

Hit me up if you roll through

Hope you all are well and I hope things start changing for the better
Jerrell wrote on Twiggy's profile.
Good to hear.
Weekly voice chat is in 30 mins in our discord, come conversate with us using your vocal cords
Coronavirus, Murder hornets, race riots...level 6 jumanji starts tonight
Well spanged up enough for a greyhound dipping this thursday thx! For the help!
My account finally says "Hobo"
No one can tell me I didn't earn my skank
Anyone in Minneapolis at the protest, just got back here from Duluth
Will do these posts occasionally so family and friends know we are alive and well.
Currently: in Mariposa, CA, getting ready to head to Coulterville, CA.

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
ANo1