Safe-ish spots or ways to sleep in NYC (1 Viewer)

croc

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Homebase
Roads n rails
Seen a couple other threads about this but no one seems to answer this question directly so here's another one :p

Any recommended sleep spots in NYC? Been scared af to sleep there alone bc all the good, hidden spots have gotta be taken n sleeping in the parks seems sketchy.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Homebase
Nevada
Website
www.youtube.com
Man, that is definitely a good question. I've gotten away with SF, SAC, Seattle, Tacoma, SLC, Vegas, PHX, Austin, Wichita, Fresno, Stockton, ect....

But the big cities on the East Coast freak me right the fuck out.

Desperado Deluxe

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Homebase
Karenfornia
That park on the lower east side is good. Central park is so-so, the cops will wake you up a lot of times and say its "dangerous". and Hoboken is pretty good that park right on the waterfront near the path train. Again cops will wake you up but they don't care too much.

Reaction score
Homebase
NY
Depends how stealthy you are. You could def get away with it in the forested areas of Prospect Park (been there past midnight cooking with propane and my touring bike and authorities blew past me). Bay Ridge has a lot of waterfront parks with tree cover and no one comes by those quasi-forest parts (spent much times in the early AM hours in those parks growing up). Both areas are in very safe neighborhoods where you'll be fine. The latter is a bit far from the city (an hour by train) but I can pretty much guarantee you're not going to run into anyone on a weekday as long as you're hidden.

I don't recommend anywhere in Manhattan. I can think of many other spots, but since you're looking for safe as possible and are trying not to be bothered, that's my best advice.

Reaction score
Homebase
NY
Outside of the realm of safe-ish, there are waterfront spots (which can get sketch with other people), subway emergency exits in the outer boroughs, low rooftops you can climb onto and abandoned buildings (which obviously must be done in the dark and can be sus). Good luck out there.

D

Deleted member 26656

I closed my account
Seen a couple other threads about this but no one seems to answer this question directly so here's another one :p

Any recommended sleep spots in NYC? Been scared af to sleep there alone bc all the good, hidden spots have gotta be taken n sleeping in the parks seems sketchy.
Take the free ferry out to Staten island. Take the staten island railway (can use your metro card) 19 stops down to "Richmond valley". Big forest you can camp in there.

AAAutin

Wise Sage
Reaction score
Homebase
NFA
The cops come through Central Park in the wee hours; but staying up all night and crashing on a bench there during the day is definitely an option.

If you're in the Bronx, you can find some cover out by the zoo—right around Pelham Parkway/Bronx River Parkway.

D

Deleted member 26656

I closed my account
I forget which bus it is but there is a way you can also get out around gateway national recreation area and there are thousands of acres and you can camp in there.

salxtina

Hobo
Reaction score
Homebase
Holyoke, MA
I slept under the boardwalk on coney island this summer the night after mermaid parade, it'd be cold now though. Also I just stayed on a subway all night once in a pinch, me and another guy had the same idea and mostly slept undisturbed, the one worker who saw us was cool about it.

Reaction score
Homebase
NY
I forget which bus it is but there is a way you can also get out around gateway national recreation area and there are thousands of acres and you can camp in there.

Q35 to Fort Tilden! After dark, there's NOTHING going on, so the world is your oyster there, and lots of cool abandoned bunkers.

As for underneath boardwalks, that's a bit harder to do now since many of them are getting filled with sand for flood protection.

Most residents won't bother you if you're sleeping somewhere.

D

Deleted member 26656

I closed my account
Q35 to Fort Tilden! After dark, there's NOTHING going on, so the world is your oyster there, and lots of cool abandoned bunkers.

As for underneath boardwalks, that's a bit harder to do now since many of them are getting filled with sand for flood protection.

Most residents won't bother you if you're sleeping somewhere.
Yeah, that's it. The q35 bus! Yo that bus also goes by alot of woods too that are on the way to fort tilden...

Puke Mcvomit

Lurker
Reaction score
Homebase
Hobo

Under the boardwalk in Coney there’s usually a big pile of crust. I’m sure they’d be happy to host you.

Get out while you can..

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully this will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.