Rifle on the Road | Squat the Planet

Rifle on the Road

Tuesdaydowns

Reaction score
I may be trying to go on a more wilderness oriented adventure sometime in the next few years, however I would still be hitchhiking and likely be making trips into town(s) for supplies/human contact etc. I have a sporting/hunting style Mauser rifle chambered for .30-06 springfield and was wondering about the legality/various downsides of carrying a rifle, and ways to physically carry a rifle of that size that would be non-obstructive/easy to do. I plan on using it for hunting while spending extended periods of time in the wilderness.

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com

urbanflow

Reaction score
i wouldnt but, im not you.

as mentioned above, thats a legal mess that i want nothing to do with.

thapoet

Mr. Grizzly Bear bait
Reaction score
one word.... don't.....thats my personal advice.

now.
, if you are going into the wilderness, and not planning on carrying it hitching or walking, thats a different story. keep it stashed when going into town and stuff... but if you want harrassment, shot, or having to catch a murder charge then thats ur
perogative....

travelin

Reaction score
i very strongly recommend you become thoroughly familiar with whatever state(s) gun laws you plan to be, especially concerning carrying a long gun in public. some states it is not at all illegal to have one strapped to your back.

also you should have a valid hunting license for whatever state you will be in.

if you have the look of going "into the wild" and it is legal to tote one, cops probably wont haul you in but they will probably stop you.

i also strongly suggest you look into something like a breakdown 22 rifle like an AR7, a marlin papoose, or one of the new ruger 1022 breakdown models.

with a 22 you can take any small game and though i personally would not try it again as i dont need the meat, the 22 will instantly drop a deer with a shot right through the base of the ear.

another option is to get a harrington and richardson survivor 45colt/410 shotgun combo weapon. scroll down on this page for a picture and a writeup of the weapon.
http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/ShotgunsAndRifles/survivor.asp

there is also some over/under weapons made with rifle/shotgun configurations.
http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Article/050856-2009-05-28-over-under-shotgun-rifle-combos.htm

your mention of a 30-06 is really a suboptimal caliber to go a'trekkin in the wilderness with an idea to subsistance hunting. unless it is alaska i would not choose a caliber like that.

if it is alaska, a 12 gauge pump such as the mossberg 500 or remington 870 or any of a host of other pump 12 gauge shotguns would be good to have as you can use small shot on small game and have slugs for large game/bear protection.

be aware that most small game is regulated by seasons and daily limits. having a parks and wildlife/dnr/fish and game/national forest ranger slip on you with a squirrel roasting over the fire out of season is a really bad way to end the day.

having said all this ill point out that getting a "wrist rocket" and learning to use it will bring small game to the pot. also learning the use of snares will put meat in the pot. these methods have the advantage of no noise to attract attention.

"alexander supertramp" used a remington nylon 66 22 rifle and actually did kill a moose with it but he was too much of a dumbshit to have learned how to preserve meat so it mostly spoiled.

Reactions: Joshicus
D

Deleted member 2626

Yeah I won't leave a dick comment or anything because I too carry guns into the woods and do wilderness treks but man your best bet is a break down rifle, might have to be a .22. Or get a car or bike with trailer and then you can transport weapons wayyyyyy easier. A good soft case and your good. But for the woods thing. I'm guessing your not near people you know because the best way to head back in with a gun is to get dropped off by someone you know with your rifle. I walked through a small town i used to live in to go hunt a mountain. Was maybe a mile past a pizza shop and a "main" drag, wasn't real busy. but it was a flintlock and i had it wrapped in a mexican blanket. some guy thought it was a bedroll i believe. I mean you could try to conceal it but then thats a whole nother thing. Maybe get a conceal permit and get a good pistol you can carry in your state and get a stock attachment so it can be shot like a rifle. Long shot but theres other options than blundering into town with a rifle on your shoulder good luck there man

travelin

Reaction score
ah, putting some kind of stock on a pistol, that is any firearm with a barrel length less than 16 inches creates a Short Barreled Rifle and puts it under the provisions of the national firearms act of 1934 which calls for a 200 dollar tax and clearance from the BATFE to own such a weapon. it is a federal felony and carries a ten year sentence to have an SBR with no tax stamp.

dont stop someone from doing it, but the government takes such an act very, very seriously.

i believe the only pistols that can legally be stocked are those which were built to use an attachable stock such as the mauser 96, the broomhandle mauser and the original browning hi power model which came from the factory with a stock. there may be others but i am currently unaware of them. oh yes, black powder revolver pistols can be stocked if i recall correctly.

i do recall something about the thompson center contender firearm which can use a variety of barrels but do not not remember the details at this time.

anyway, its a really, really bad idea to stock a pistol.

beastcoast

Reaction score
met a someone recently who claimed to have hiked the AT with a .22 for hunting purposes, thought it seemed sketch...when he mentioned the cops took his pound of pot despite having a medical card from cali I knew it was sketch.
be careful with them firearms

RnJ

PilgrimAflame
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought my first gun today, which is a Turkish Yildiz single-shot .410 guage shotgun that folders in half to be only about 25 inches long. I can fit the entire thing inside my backpack, which is good, because the only way I can get out of Winnipeg is hitchhike, and even if I do make it clear from the get go that I'd prefer to stash my gun in the driver's trunk, that just doesn't give anybody piece of mind.

Here is the Yildiz TK-36 I speak of: http://www.yildizshotgun.com/tekkeng.html

Yildiz-TK-36-3-22-Mag-folding-single-barrel-B99947.jpg

D

Deleted member 2626

I hitched couple times with a henry .22 broke down in my pack wasn't traveling just hitching from my uncles to a gas station. And fishing is good but mercury build up after extended eating I like fish but I eat a lot ofnsquirrel and a bit of deer

MikeK85

Reaction score
I may be trying to go on a more wilderness oriented adventure sometime in the next few years, however I would still be hitchhiking and likely be making trips into town(s) for supplies/human contact etc. I have a sporting/hunting style Mauser rifle chambered for .30-06 springfield and was wondering about the legality/various downsides of carrying a rifle, and ways to physically carry a rifle of that size that would be non-obstructive/easy to do. I plan on using it for hunting while spending extended periods of time in the wilderness.

IIRC, you're allowed to transport guns through all states in a vehicle provided they are stored correctly (inaccessible from passenger area, ammo separated, ect..) and not specifically banned at your destination. In practice it can be different, see NYC for many egregious examples.

Being on foot and catching rides I can't see it working out well even though I consider hitching to be just as acceptable as standard vehicle travel. I think it's more common in states like AK.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads