Real hobo camps are almost a thing of the past.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
yeah it's a sign of disrespect to trash a camp and leave glass around for dogs to step on. when there was lots of old schoolers sure there were d-bags that did that shit back then too but there was enforcement when respectable riders were around

Morganna

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The whole experience of telling stories around the campfires and whatnot seems to be gone. Whenever I come upon 10 kids at a camp waiting for a train I always say hi, but they're normally getting wasted, trashing everything, shooting dope, and sometimes asking me and whoever I'm riding with questions like how to spot a ridable 48. Last summer at Midway in St. Paul I ran across a group of 7 or so folks drinking a spacebag, we caught out around 5 in the morning and when some friends of mine showed up a few days later they were still there and basically followed my friends onto the train. I always enjoy meeting genuine riders out there who are down to swap stories and mayeb ride the same train without having to worry about someone eating shit and loosing a hand or something.

I had the same experience when I was hopping out of Pig's Eye in St. Paul earlier this year. There were like 17 kids altogether. Luckly I decided to wait til the next day, all like 13 of the kids ran at once to catch a Everngreen train heading to PDX, most got caught by the bulls.

But anyways, yeah, I came back the next day and there were needles and empty bottles everywhere. It was disgusting, I tried cleaning up the hop out as best I could, but still, I'm honestly getting sick of kids trashing shit.

RenegadeGypsy

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
wow, very nicely written :]

I wish i could have been a part of those times. Problem with today is there is too much prevention to help everyone "live" that we cant "live" at all...its a horrible ending to happiness...but we strong ones will pick up and find the new road, like we always do

RenegadeGypsy

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I had the same experience when I was hopping out of Pig's Eye in St. Paul earlier this year. There were like 17 kids altogether. Luckly I decided to wait til the next day, all like 13 of the kids ran at once to catch a Everngreen train heading to PDX, most got caught by the bulls.

But anyways, yeah, I came back the next day and there were needles and empty bottles everywhere. It was disgusting, I tried cleaning up the hop out as best I could, but still, I'm honestly getting sick of kids trashing shit.

Now, this will sound funny because im a kid...but i hate these kids that have NO respect for the squat (seeing as though it belongs to everyone) or other travelers. It disgusts me...not to mention many long timers take one look at me a lump me in with them. I, unlike some, have tons of respect for the road and its people.

Pift...stupid kids. (haha, still funny seeing as how young I am)

logan714

Rev Quay Lude The Church of the SubGenius http:
StP Supporter
Reaction score
the bridge camp in tucson is still going The one out willmount is still there and used but there not too menny riders out at willmount

logan

Mogwai

Reaction score
great story man i always love seeing old camps. I like the fact that old hobo graffiti usually means a great waiting spot too (Tho not all the time).

Yeah, just depending on the hobo sign.

Grasshopper

Reaction score
Website
www.brandonwilliamson.webs.com
Bravo Shoestring! Beautiful post, thanks for sharing.

Pretzel

Reaction score
I hear you!
I have been in camps over the last few years and seen used needles and end-caps lying all over, vomit piles where you used to lay your head, and Dairy Queen twist-cone piles of shit 14 inches high "next" to the piles of vomit as well!!!
No respect! No respect at all!!!
Lot of times, the local homeguards will use these camps and just trash the Hell out of them as well lately, being some of these camps are dwindling in real hobo visits!

Thats sad as fuck :( I feel like were coming back though

Ironweed

Reaction score
kids jsut dont think about shit like this and its sad. if they kept the camps nice and the squats then these great parties and places would not be things of the past. I think kids just don't think past the next bottle of sherry anymore. all they want to do is be rowdy and drunk. i was sad when i went out this summer and the old camp outside of Moosejaw was gone. there were still a bunch of graffiti all over but no old bus full of train tags, and no firepit. there were however a large amount of mattresses which were dope.

I was over at Reddit Vagabond complaining about this, and I got reamed for it. That site seems to be oogle central... I am an old school guy. Back in the day, if you were acting like this in a jungle, you would have had your ass kicked in. There were unspoken rules in the jungle and on the road. Maybe it has to do with the fact that these younger kids never had anyone to teach them the ropes.

I am still trying to carry the banner with our official Ogden Hobo jungle. Sure would be nice to meet more like minded people such as yourselves.

Ratchet

Reaction score
About 20 years ago i was about 21... I lived in Palmer MA... There was a clearing by the tracks behind the center-most package store... Most of the people i knew would drink there... This old train-hopper (probably not much older than me now) showed up one day... Pretty sure his name was Charlie... Dont remember anything he said but he was well liked by everyone... Somehow an easy chair manifested itself and he used to sleep in it at night and sit in it during the day and hang with everyone. Dont remember how long he stayed or know what happened to him... I was busy working n drinking at the bar mostly then... Eventually the spot was shut down... And exists only in my memories i believe. I miss the community I knew in Palmer... Large circle of friends n everybody knew n partied with everyone.
Hope you enjoyed my rambling.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads