rafting the mississippi...

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Just make sure the raft is strong enough to have a towline/anchor in a harsh current, since that is one problem the miss rockaway armada had. Otherwise, the raft will rip itself apart in those conditions and you'll be relying on your lifepreserver...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
ive been hearing rumors about this for years and years and years... does anyone actually have any experience with this or know someone that did it? i want to hear STORIES!!! :)

B

brooksisdead

i have some frineds who did this i believe over the summer.
i havent gotten a chance to talk to them about it yett, though.

cool stuff.

R

RandomRaccoon

Wicked book to read is "paddle to the amazon" by Don Starkell
Buddy and his tw sons paddle from winnipeg down to the missisipi and all the way down to the gulf of whazzit called thten on the amazon through brazill!!! Fucking wicked inspirational read if yer wanting some reference.

Robot

Reaction score
this story is from this past summer. i live in mn near the mississippi and two of my friends had just gotten married and were going on their honeymoon down the miss. to new orleans. then they were going to wait out the summer there since minnesota sucks. they built their own boat on their front lawn, launched and found their engine was using way too much gas than they wanted to pay for. they left it in wisconsin and took their small little fishing boat type thing instead. they made it all the way down to about a hundred miles away. they tied to a dock leaving their shit in it to go grab some foor quick. when they returned, all their shit was stolen. luckily they had their food and id's and shit on them. they decided to say fuck it and take a bus to new orleans. after that they took a bus to stay with a mutual friend in austin. sucks they had to get their shit stolen, but for the most part they had an enjoyable honeymoon. i think they said it took them a little over a month, but im not for certain.

S

SeymourGlass

loam said:
i'd like to take a raft down the mississipi river, tomsawyer style.

wow. that's nuts that you think that because lately all i've wanted to do is buy a houseboat and live on the mississippi. just float down that shit all day everyday.
i think grand rapids is putting our minds on the same page...

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
oh yeah! i found the paper zine for that site a year back and it is the shit.

i got this idea right now to get a vechile, probably something like a light VW van from a junkyard, strip everything out except the steering wheel and rack and pinion steering set-up,
mount it on a raft, run a rod to the rudder, and when it rains or snows, you just steer from inside your schwagg hippie bus.
y'all, ben, wanna get together build a raft together somewhere upstream next winter?

Shade

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
brotha i AM a pirate
rememberusername said:
before i die ima raft it.

check out blueanarchy.org , check out the anarchy yatch club.. crazy shit.

LETS ALL BE PIRATES!

im scared to be in the middle of the ocean, i must see land on one side of me. So at least my body can drift to land and have the chance of being rescued.

ive been looking into building a small motor powered raft on the banks of the miss in arabi or chalmette LA (right outside of new orleans just smaller towns were i could probably keep everything in an abandoned lot or some thing and not have it fucked with) and then floating to the mississippi delta and hoppin' around those islands down there. i guess the biggest problem would be having enough clean water to be away from civilization for at least a couple weeks in case some thing went terribly wrong. i would probably build the boat large enough to keep bikes on it so when im done me and who ever im with could tie up in triumph or buras (reference to map of delta area) and make the 50-60? mile bike ride back to nola.

OR
i remeber seeing an abandoned hotel resort thing on the gulf right next to the line that runs from NOLA->mobile->pensacola or b'ham
maybe its in St.louis bay in MS? in one of those bays on the coast. we were rolling by kinda quick but i think it was 2 large buildings completely abandoned right on the coast surrounded by palm trees. sail over there and kick it in a resort squat catching fish and swimming in the ocean every day

haha second thought i could steal somones FEMA trailer and make pontoons for it and just float that down. that would probably be a big hit among those who are still living in those damn things.

now i just need to move back to nola and get started...

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
Reaction score
WoWw.... this has gotta be the most BADDDAASSSS thing I have disocvered since I've joined this website. that's all I gotta say!

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score

CholoMcScumbag

Reaction score
step one- learn to sail better
step two- steal me a dingy (i have one selected and its currently waiting for me ahaha)
step three- use dingy to steal ship (i also have one selected and waiting for me.)
step four- explore, pilage, and have a great time, until the coast guards finally catch me. then go to jail for piracy...which is fine because piracy just sounds dope.

what are you in for?
robing a bank....you?
pirate.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads