Primitive Toothcare | Squat the Planet

Primitive Toothcare

xbocax

Reaction score
So I found this zine and like the author i hate having to constantly waste and purchase dental hygiene materials. This zine entitled the title of my post goes over how to take care of your teeth in an environmentally responsible way.

So first:
obviously try and eliminate most if not all refined sugars from your diet as well as the nasty ass replacement sugars.

Next find a tooth stick
a tooth stick is like a tooth brush but made from a plant u chew it down till it becomes bristle like. The key with what plant to chose is you want the plant to have a butt load of tenins . If you want to know what tenins are look it up! you want to brush your teeth tongue and roof of your mouth at least once a day. heres a list of good tooth sticks

Eucalyptus
Oaks
Bay
Fir
Juniper
Neem
Sassafras (twigs and root)
Horsetails(hole plant)
Mallow(root)
Licorice(root)
Alfalfa(root)
HorseRadish(root)

NEXT
further teeth mouth and gum maintenance goes as follows
like the sticks you want the plant to have lots of tenins
with w/e you use you will want to simply boil down the plant to release the tenins into the water
you can use any of this as a tea to drink or just a mouthwash to spit out
so heres the list

Acorns
Fennel
Chaparral
Tumeric
Licorice
Hawthorn Berry
Horsetail
Prickly Ash Bark
Birch Sap
Cinnamon bark
Catnip
Spilanthes

If you have any other questions leme know and I'll do my best to answer them thanks and enjoy!

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
Making a good toothpowder and taking enamel building herbs internally is just as important, or more important depending on who you ask. I'm sure other folks on here will tell about that...

This shit is so important for folks to know. Rotting teeth is something I never want to deal with.

Reactions: Heron
D

Deleted member 1505

This is really good info, thanks a bunch. I usually just use baking soda, but I am gonna go look for some of these plants and try it out. I think the only thing I can advise to anyone else whos gonna give it a shot (or whoever already does) remember the location of the plant materials you gather is really important. Any growth near streets/roads, housing, ect will most likely be covered in pesticides.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
You mean "tannins." I don't mean to nitpick over spelling, but just in case people want to look it up.

This isn't primitive, and is probably a bit gross, but I will sometimes save floss that I've used on my teeth and will let it dry out and then use it to sew up stuff. You could wash it if you really wanted to, but really, the first time you clean whatever you stitched up and no one will be able to tell, and after it dries out, it's technically not hazardous.

toadflack

Reaction score
I can't truly express how important flossing is, my mouth is haggard. A couple years ago I was in the desert and huge chunks of my gum's just started somewhat peeling off. It was pretty nasty and bled non-stop for a few days. I lost the whole top layer of my gum line. So yeah, take care of you mouth!

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
is there anything that can be done about cavities without going to the dentist?

Sure. Small cavities that look like dark spots but haven't eaten through the enamel can go a long time if you just your mouth clean and polish them once in a while so stuff doesn't catch on them as easy.

Once they start to hurt, you know the cavity has eaten through the enamel. Then you can try a temporary filling. There's this guy: or you can get the temporary filling kits at a lot of pharmacies for like $10.

Just don't fool yourself that it's permanent. Sooner or later you'll be seeing a dentist or living with rotten teeth.

axolotl

Reaction score
thanks a lot, i´ll definitely try a temporary filling, that´s a huge relief.

i´ve also heard that you can sign up at some dental schools to have students practice on you for free or very cheap, i´m gonna look into that too when i get a chance.

xbocax

Reaction score
thanks a lot, i´ll definitely try a temporary filling, that´s a huge relief.

i´ve also heard that you can sign up at some dental schools to have students practice on you for free or very cheap, i´m gonna look into that too when i get a chance.
this is true i see them post on craigslist every now n then

astreet09

Reaction score
So weird that that zine is on zinelibrary. I didn't think it was a very big publication at all; but maybe its not. My friend Drew was visiting Nebraska with his girlfriend when I still had a house here, and he gave me that and one other zine. I hoped I'd be able to contribute something or answer questions, but it looks like you've already got it covered. Haha

Cardboard

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
its got tons of shit, and Impretty sure it operates on a collaborative contribution, not necessarily the popularity of the zine.

Unslap

Reaction score
For me, I would never rely on primitive dentistry unless I was eating a primitive diet. Using a tooth stick instead of a toothbrush, I'd probably get a cavity at some point unless i took to foraging and farming my food

thisisme

Reaction score
Making a good toothpowder and taking enamel building herbs internally is just as important, or more important depending on who you ask. I'm sure other folks on here will tell about that...

This shit is so important for folks to know. Rotting teeth is something I never want to deal with.

what are some enamel building herbs?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads